Options

The Wright Stuff Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That odd teacher Simon Warr was on Newsnight last night talking about his case.

He does get around - persistent.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Decorate the bottom half of that tree - we can see it!!!!
  • Options
    Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only watch occasionally but you have summed him up to a tee. I felt sorry for that woman this morning. She had obviously aired her views to the reserarcher(?) beforehand and her response deemed suitable for airing. Why change the goalposts live on air. She had her point already to make and then he (MW) wouldn't let her make it. Very smug and unprofessional ..............and yet - I can't find it in me to dislike him.

thought Rula was great this morning.

I'm so pleased that you agree because I wasn't sure I'd properly articulated the point I was trying to make.

He does this "reframing" schtick all the time.
    You can tell thst it often throws people off the point they wanted to make.
    If they carry on with their point anyway, he'll say something like, "Oh, so don't bother to answer my question then..." and goes on to be rude, derail the conversation and talk all over the caller.
    I agree with you though, I still like him, I just wish he wasn't such a brat at times.
  • Options
    MeridaMerida Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any reason MW hasn't shaved this week, have I missed something? :confused:
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Merida wrote: »
    Is there any reason MW hasn't shaved this week, have I missed something? :confused:

Raising money for charity, but it makes him look very rough :D
  • Options
    MeridaMerida Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrishaS wrote: »
    Raising money for charity, but it makes him look very rough :D

Ah I see! Yes, it is rather untidy looking. But good enough if it's for charity! :)
  • Options
    SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Merida wrote: »

Decembeard - raising awareness of bowel cancer, and raising funds for the charity.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now they even have a competition running on there show to.
    Seems only BBC Shows are free from these now?
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is today's guest supposed to be white?
  • Options
    thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Is today's guest supposed to be white?

Apparently, there has been a heatwave in Noo-castle...wah-hy man :)
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anya D wrote: »
    He's so rude to people.

He often expects an immediate answer to a reframed question.
    Don't ask the question from a different angle when the caller knows they have a limited time to make their point and might be nervous to be on tv.

He often harries people for answers to yes/no questions and when he extracts the answer he wants i.e. the caller agrees with him, he then sits back with that stupid, smug, pursed lip grin as if he's won something, never mind that the discussion has ground to a total halt.

A very immature man at times.

Exactly. The callers who phone in will have thought beforehand about the question of the topic put up on screen and would have thoughtfully considered what they would say on the show if they got through.
    When they phoned up the show they will have spoken with a member of staff to check what point they were going to make on air, just so things run smoothly and the caller isn't a crank.

But then when a caller gets through thinking they have something to say, Matthew frequently decides to throw them a curveball so that they can't make their carefully considered point if their views aren't in line with his own.
    The caller may make a minor mistake about a date or something and Matthew will seize on that, reframe the question, and quibble over some pedantic irrelevance just so that he can 'win' against the caller.

Rather than discuss the actual topic Matthew turns it into a situation where he holds all the cards and it's about him 'winning' if he doesn't agree with the caller.
    You often see him trying to skirt around the main topic which the caller has called in to speak about by quickly asking a series of rapidfire "What about this?, "What about that?" rapidfire questions in a very off-putting, sneering and condescending manner.
    Obviously they are going to be thrown off kilter by something new to them which has been put to them in a hostile manner and would think that this isn't what they had phoned in to talk about. They'll be nervous enough as it is and Matthew is experienced at this sort of thing.
    Obviously Matthew can't lose if he is in control of the call and can swerve the conversation around away from the main point the caller has phoned in to make.
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was very rude again today to a caller, doing exactly what alrightmate has posted. I thought she handled it really well but he just shouted her down and cut her off and then made a nasty remark about her >:(
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrishaS wrote: »
    He was very rude again today to a caller, doing exactly what alrightmate has posted. I thought she handled it really well but he just shouted her down and cut her off and then made a nasty remark about her >:(

You could see the 'red mist' come down when she accused him of being disrespectful, just after he was disrespectful.:D
  • Options
    Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was really nasty to that one wasn't he, she rang in to discuss her own situation but he was saying she didn't care about others! Matthew is always banging on about the squeezed middle class, what a hypocrite!!

I am sure he has been getting worse lately, I always liked him as he was opinionated even if I didn't agree with him but now it makes me uncomfortable to watch.
  • Options
    man in the parkman in the park Posts: 4,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he had a real bee in his bonnet yesterday with the middle classes and he was a rude idiot with the lady that disagreed with him. Capurro and ellis have been really annoying and smug this week.

Please bring back Matt Barbett
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    Sansa_Snow wrote: »
    I am sure he has been getting worse lately, I always liked him as he was opinionated even if I didn't agree with him but now it makes me uncomfortable to watch.

I think he's got worse since he married the current Mrs Wright.

Nastier in some way.
  • Options
    Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's got worse since he married the current Mrs Wright.

Nastier in some way.

He is very smug about his wonderful marriage, they seemed very good together on Mr and Mrs though so I doubt she is making him grumpy. I had to laugh at the TP recently about fantasising about other people during sex, I wonder if his wife has!
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He let slip last week that his wife doesn't wash her clothes very often, she just buys new.

Alexis is on the panel next week, he's usually good.
  • Options
    whirlingthunderwhirlingthunder Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Alexis is good, however he alone is not enough to counteract Wrighty, who appears to have re-framed the show as a weird endurance trial. Accordingly, I won't even attempt to endure the infantile Wright anymore - I'll only watch when/if Matt Barbet reappears to give the show some balance and a decent atmosphere. Or, even better, if the fringe-flicking Chloe-promoting master of the anecdote Richard Madeley returns. It's gone on long enough, we deserve a decent presenter, not a childish oaf bullying people into submission and pulling stupid faces. Don't let the door hit you on your way out Matthew :p
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or, even better, if the fringe-flicking Chloe-promoting master of the anecdote Richard Madeley returns.

He`s a Mastur[de]bater, that`s for sure.

Will MW jump on the first caller of the week tomorrow, lambasting them when they don`t agree with his stance, lobbing ancilliary, reframed questions at them like verbal grenades and ridiculing them as ignorant loons when they don`t kiss his childishly contrary arse?

That`s all, of course, assuming the workshy posturing leftie can be bothered to turn up.
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    People will stop phoning in soon.

if they challenge him he just cuts them off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sansa_Snow wrote: »
    He is very smug about his wonderful marriage, they seemed very good together on Mr and Mrs though so I doubt she is making him grumpy. I had to laugh at the TP recently about fantasising about other people during sex, I wonder if his wife has!

I think we all know the answer to that Sansa, it's Jeremy Kyle ;-);-);-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=whirlingthunder; It's gone on long enough, we deserve a decent presenter, not a childish oaf bullying people into submission and pulling stupid faces.

Don't forget that ridiculous made up laugh, which quite frankly scares the shit out of me
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomscn wrote: »
    Don't forget that ridiculous made up laugh, which quite frankly scares the shit out of me

He even admitted after doing IACGMOOH that he`d come back with this wholly contrived "new" laugh. Who the F does that?!?!

Him and Jimmy Carr both - They need a slap whenever they do it.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People will stop phoning in soon.

if they challenge him he just cuts them off.

Matthew should calm down a bit.

Maybe get the badger out for a stroke!
This discussion has been closed.