Options

Sky's changes to T&Cs

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm surprised there isn't a tonne of threads about this as well as the price hike.

On the same price hike letter, on the back is a statement about how they will now charge 4% a day, if you miss a payment, until you pay it back.

Disgraceful.

Comments

• Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    I'm surprised there isn't a tonne of threads about this as well as the price hike.

On the same price hike letter, on the back is a statement about how they will now charge 4% a day, if you miss a payment, until you pay it back.

Disgraceful.
    I do agree with Sky doing this. If you can't afford to have Sky, get freeview or freesat. Sky TV are not a charity, they are a business.
    Ian.
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing it's been run past their lawyers but it doesn't sound right to me??
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I do agree with Sky doing this. If you can't afford to have Sky, get freeview or freesat. Sky TV are not a charity, they are a business.
    Ian.

I agree with you there. One might ask how does anyone "miss" a payment if paid by D/D? I cannot remember ever "missing" a payment to anyone in my 70+ years. Simple, if a subscriber does not like terms offered they can always give up Sky, it is not obligatory.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Then don't miss the payment.
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    Disgraceful.
    Why?
    Ian.
    Caxton wrote: »
    I agree with you there. One might ask how does anyone "miss" a payment if paid by D/D? I cannot remember ever "missing" a payment to anyone in my 70+ years. Simple, if a subscriber does not like terms offered they can always give up Sky, it is not obligatory.
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Then don't miss the payment.
    Completely agree with all of you.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Im not usually in agreement with Sky on alot of things, but this i do agree with as mentioned: Sky are not a charity. You have a bill to pay and you're expected to pay it on time as with anything else. Its common courtesy more than anything.
    Plus it creates an incentive to not miss a payment or make sure your bank account has the relevant funds to pay the DD.
  • Options
    missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Im not usually in agreement with Sky on alot of things, but this i do agree with as mentioned: Sky are not a charity. You have a bill to pay and you're expected to pay it on time as with anything else. Its common courtesy more than anything.
    Plus it creates an incentive to not miss a payment or make sure your bank account has the relevant funds to pay the DD.

Sky are not a charity, so why do they suck up to people who threaten to leave. they should take your view and if they cant afford to pay leave and don't come back :D
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly thought they already did this ! Along the lines of every other Company !
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »

Don't know if they still offer this option, but my ex used to pay her Sky bill by cheque, this would have been around 2005.

Every so often she would forget to send it and the channels would suddenly go off. Eventually she just never sent the cheque and disconnected the box. She probably still owes them money!
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky are not a charity, so why do they suck up to people who threaten to leave. they should take your view and if they cant afford to pay leave and don't come back :D

Again, a bit like BT did for you, or doesn't that count?
  • Options
    DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't had my letter from Sky yet but i'm sure it's coming... that said, sky charge in advance so if a payment is missed is it's hardly the same as going into arrears.

For them to justify charging 4% per day i suspect there's more to this than the OP suggests.
  • Options
    gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    It isn't 4% per day- it's "interest at the yearly equivalent of 4% over Barclays Bank plc’s base rate for the whole period of any late payment".

Barclays’ Base rate is currently 0.5%, so if it remained the same, that would be daily interest based on a yearly rate of 4.5%.

The full scope of the charges Sky propose to impose is:
    If you miss any payments you owe to us including for any Sky service we may charge you a reasonable fee, or interest at the yearly equivalent of 4% over Barclays Bank plc’s base rate for the whole period of any late payment, to compensate us for you breaking these Conditions. Any interest is worked out daily. We may also charge you a reasonable fee for handling any payment instruction that is cancelled, returned to us because you do not have enough funds in your account or is not cleared by your bank. Details of these fees can be found on sky.com/latepaymentfee. These fees will not be applied to any amount you have not paid because it is the subject of an ongoing dispute between us. You will be responsible for paying all reasonable debt recovery fees/charges incurred in recovering your debt, including fees charged by any debt collection company we use. We will send you a reminder or call you before applying any late payment fees or instructing a debt collection company.

www.sky.com/latepaymentfee is yet to outline the specific fees that will come in to effect on 1st July 2015. It currently states:
    This change comes into effect on 1 July 2015, so please check back soon for more details.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I have never said BT are a charity please post it if I have, popeye13 was posting "Sky are not a charity" and I just agree with the post
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So how did you get this orgasmic deal with BT then? Couldn't you afford full price?

Pity they had to "suck up to you" to make you stay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never said BT are a charity please post it if I have, popeye13 was posting "Sky are not a charity" and I just agree with the post

I never said you did, please read it again, i am talking about BT sucking up to you to offer you a better deal, you are making out Sky are bad for doing this, yet BT have done it for you, so they are just the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I never said you did, please read it again, i am talking about BT sucking up to you to offer you a better deal, you are making out Sky are bad for doing this, yet BT have done it for you, so they are just the same.

yes you did as I was replying to some one who said Sky was not a charity. BT & Sky are both looking at damage limitation and Sky have more to loose
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    So how did you get this orgasmic deal with BT then? Couldn't you afford full price?

Pity they had to "suck up to you" to make you stay.

The same way you could if you could tear yourself away from sky, you just pick up the phone tell them you are not happy and leaving and you might get the deal I have,

"Couldn't you afford full price? Pity they had to "suck up to you" to make you stay."[/QUOTE]

I used to own a radiogram many years ago in my bedsit, but it would not look right now in my 1.6 million £ home, price is not the problem but I never like to pay more than I have to for anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The same way you could if you could tear yourself away from sky, you just pick up the phone tell them you are not happy and leaving and you might get the deal I
    I've just been reading your post history and practically all your post are critisising others who have Sky. Practically no posts on any other subjects. I wonder why that is.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The same way you could if you could tear yourself away from sky, you just pick up the phone tell them you are not happy and leaving and you might get the deal I
    I've just been reading your post history and practically all your post are critisising others who have Sky. Practically no posts on any other subjects. I wonder why that is.
    Ian.

you must have so much time on your hands to read all my posts is their nothing on Sky to watch that you pay all that money to have, Yes I do think Sky are overpriced any company who can put up the cost of Sky sport when they now no longer show moto gp FA cup, England games, UEFA European Championship all now available on BT. as I still live In a free country I have a right to criticized Sky as a customer who has paid them money over many years.
  • Options
    Forum Member

you must have so much time on your hands to read all my posts is their nothing on Sky to watch that you pay all that money to. Yes I do think Sky are overpriced any company who can put up the cost of Sky sport when they now no longer show moto gp FA cup, England games, UEFA European Championship all now available on BT. as I still live In a free country I have a right to criticized Sky as a customer who has paid them money over many years.
    Every one of your posts are practically all about Sky. Is there nothing else for you to discuss. You just continuishly come on here criticising everyone who has Sky. Check my postal history, I post on different subjects.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Every one of your posts are practically all about Sky. Is there nothing else for you to discuss. You just continuishly come on here criticising everyone who has Sky. Check my postal history, I post on different subjects.
    Ian.

I am not as sad as you to troll through past post I just read the latest ones and comment on those because I have Sky dose not mean I have to like Sky its just a commodity that I use
  • Options
    Forum Member

I am not as sad as you to troll through past post I just read the latest ones and comment on those because I have Sky dose not mean I have to like Sky its just a commodity that I use

At least I don't post on exactically the same subject most of the time. You just post criticising everyone who has Sky. I like Sky Sports, BT Sport and all of the free to air channels. They've all got there good points and bad points. But I don't criticise anyone who has any other type of TV company whether satellite, cable, free to air, etc.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes you did as I was replying to some one who said Sky was not a charity. BT & Sky are both looking at damage limitation and Sky have more to loose

I suggest you try reading it again, as i never mentioned the word CHARITY in my post, i was referring to your claim that Sky suck up to customers to offer deals, as BT have done with you, have they not (should you not leave BT, as you state Sky customers should do, if they won't pay full price)?