Options

Sky+ listing oldest recordings first! annoying!

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
Why does the Sky+ box list programmes with the oldest recorded first. I have a very full box of programmes that I never remove and every time I record something like Coronation Street I have to flip through about 12 pages of shows first before I can watch it, then even when I get to Coronation Street, the latest episode of which is also at the bottom of the list.

Do you think it would be better if the latest recordings were shown first in the planner?

Comments

• Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Yup, i have to agree.

I have never understood this with Sky, and wish they would give a choice in how to sort the programs
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,560
    Forum Member
    Why does the Sky+ box list programmes with the oldest recorded first. I have a very full box of programmes that I never remove and every time I record something like Coronation Street I have to flip through about 12 pages of shows first before I can watch it, then even when I get to Coronation Street, the latest episode of which is also at the bottom of the list.

Do you think it would be better if the latest recordings were shown first in the planner?

Learn how to use the planner!

1. Highlight the first (oldest) recording in the planner
    2. Press the "Channel + " button
    3. Hey presto, you are on the most recent page of planner recordings.
    4. If what you want isn't there, press the "Channel +" button again and so on.
    5. Simples.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »

5. Simples.

Not quite. That just gets you to your future recordings that all have to be scrolled through. Whether I press + or - it's about the same number of presses.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,695
    Forum Member
    Seems perfectly natural to me as they are, but then I'm old school and like my emails to be replied to on the bottom too.

I'd also never advise anyone to fill up a drive, knowing how prone to failure PVR hard drives are. That's an awful lot of programmes to lose when the inevitable happens.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Not quite. That just gets you to your future recordings that all have to be scrolled through. Whether I press + or - it's about the same number of presses.

The OP has 12 pages of recordings, i doubt they have 12 pages of future recordings, so going up for them is the quickest option.

Do you have more than 3 pages of future recordings then? If not, it's only 2/3 presses to get to the latest recordings, surely that's not difficult?
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Surely things to be recorded aren't as many as things that have recorded?

Also most of the time you can jump to the last thing you were watching in the planner or close to it by pressing the play button, but that wont work if your watching a recording or your on live pause.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP has 12 pages of recordings, i doubt they have 12 pages of future recordings, so going up for them is the quickest option.

Do you have more than 3 pages of future recordings then? If not, it's only 2/3 presses to get to the latest recordings, surely that's not difficult?

Just over 6 pages of future recordings/reminders.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When viewing "All" in your planner tab left a few times to "recorded" then highlight top one and then "ch +"
  • Options
    Forum Member

4 future recordings, about 108 existing recordings (40 if counting collapsed episodes as one). I suspect the O/P is more like that than you; in which case, the solution for me and O/P is obvious: go backwards to get to the latest recordings fastest!
  • Options
    Forum Member

5. Simples.

Yeah, it is simples. But not as Simples as having the new recordings at the top already is it? I have to say, its the only device i have known that does this.
    Mark A wrote: »
    Seems perfectly natural to me as they are, but then I'm old school and like my emails to be replied to on the bottom too.

I'd also never advise anyone to fill up a drive, knowing how prone to failure PVR hard drives are. That's an awful lot of programmes to lose when the inevitable happens.

Regards

Mark

How can it be perfectly natural when new emails are at the top and not the bottom?
    4 future recordings, about 108 existing recordings (40 if counting collapsed episodes as one). I suspect the O/P is more like that than you; in which case, the solution for me and O/P is obvious: go backwards to get to the latest recordings fastest!

Again, having new recordings at the top saves this from even being an issue. Or why don't sky do what nearly everything else in list form does. Give you the option as to how you want it.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should add an option to change the order to newest first.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,695
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    How can it be perfectly natural when new emails are at the top and not the bottom?
    They're only at the top if that's where you put them. I never have, and I never will.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark A wrote: »
    They're only at the top if that's where you put them. I never have, and I never will.

Regards

Mark

It's not about putting them there. That's where they default to unless you change it to not do that. I find it hard to understand why you would want to scroll down loads of emails when the new ones are right there for you to read right away!
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should add an option to change the order to newest first.

If they did stuff yet to be recorded would be at the top most likely filling the first page up! Unless they placed them on a separate page!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it is simples. But not as Simples as having the new recordings at the top already is it? I have to say, its the only device i have known that does this.

Again, having new recordings at the top saves this from even being an issue. Or why don't sky do what nearly everything else in list form does. Give you the option as to how you want it.

Oh I agree, my post was just to suggest how to get over the problem!

Sky should do it similar to, as you say nearly everyone else. Youview for example lists newest recordings first, it also has an option to sort by date or alphabetically, and watched or unwatched - and lists scheduled recordings separately. Much better and easier to use than the Sky method (even using my workaround).

But the Sky box has some advantages, On Demand downloads fully so (as someone pointed out the other day) you can still skip adverts on commercial channels. You cannot do this with Youview's On Demand and I find that to be infuriating. Luckily, I rarely use ITV etc. On Demand.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Yes watching ITV Player on it is more convenient than even recording the original broadcast because you can skip the one advert at the beginning and even get no adverts in the middle with Coronation Street on it which is now also available in HD on demand!

But the obvious idea is you don't want to have to trawl through all your old recordings just to get to the thing that you recorded that night, adding even more set up time when setting up with dinner etc and you have to put everything on waiting for everything to boot up and source select etc, not the end of the world, but the Sky+ box is usually about the ultimate in convenience!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I agree, my post was just to suggest how to get over the problem!

Sky should do it similar to, as you say nearly everyone else. Youview for example lists newest recordings first, it also has an option to sort by date or alphabetically, and watched or unwatched - and lists scheduled recordings separately. Much better and easier to use than the Sky method (even using my workaround).
    Sky do allow you to sort your planner in many ways although you cannot save the setting - by all, recorded, viewed, deleted, by genre, a to z, purchased. Merely tab left or right to find the sort method you want from the initial planner view. All however (except a to z) are sorted with the oldest first which is more suited to its main purpose of being a "time shift" device and it is NOT designed (or intended) to be used to form archive libraries (copyright laws only allow recording for timeshift and NOT permanent archives).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I use Outlook Express (on my XP machine), and Windows Mail on my Windows 7 machine, both default to new mail at the bottom.
  • Options
    stevebasteveba Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I use Outlook Express (on my XP machine), and Windows Mail on my Windows 7 machine, both default to new mail at the bottom.

And I, and many other people, used to change that default so that new was at the top.

If Sky offered the same option that would suit me far better. I have pages of stuff recorded to dip into (series like Frasier, some films, documentaries etc), and although I always use Channel+, it is not intuitive. Others in the family always page through everything!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveba wrote: »
    And I, and many other people, used to change that default so that new was at the top.

I am not disputing that, my point was to Stiggles who was inferring that ALL e-mail clients came with new e-mails at the top as standard, and anyone who had them the other way round did so out of choice, whereas this is not so.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Sorry to trot the Sky standard line but basically the box is not supposed to be an archiving machine. If you want to keep something longer term, you should transfer it to somewhere else.

The Sky box works on the assumption that folks will record, watch and delete a series in the order of broadcast.
  • Options
    scepticsceptic Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Sorry to trot the Sky standard line but basically the box is not supposed to be an archiving machine. If you want to keep something longer term, you should transfer it to somewhere else.

The Sky box works on the assumption that folks will record, watch and delete a series in the order of broadcast.

So why bother selling a 2TB box then, capable of storing 350 hours worth of HD? I still have recordings going back to 2007 on my main box! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All however (except a to z) are sorted with the oldest first which is more suited to its main purpose of being a "time shift" device and it is NOT designed (or intended) to be used to form archive libraries (copyright laws only allow recording for timeshift and NOT permanent archives).
    CRTHD wrote: »

That's the feeblest excuse for a poor design decision that I have heard for a very long time, and I've heard a few! :D

There is absolutely nothing to stop Sky from enabling a default planner sort order in the most convenient way it thinks its customers want, whatever the officially intended use is for a PVR. The most likely reason they haven't updated is that they just can't be bothered to prioritise the software change. If it was a legal or regulator problem, Youview would have had to comply as well, long before now.

As for any assumption that folks will "watch and delete a series in the order of broadcast." that's just hilarious. I watch and delete recorded programmes in no particular order, according to how the fancy takes me, and I am sure most subscribers do, too. But it's always more likely that viewers will want to select recent un-viewed material before older viewed material and Sky shouldn't be trying to get in the way of that, nor of archiving on the PVR, unless legislation or regulation forces them to. I mean, they have even allowed that somewhat clunky workaround that I mentioned earlier!
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Instead of trawling through a dozen+ pages, I find it's often easier to arrow down and type the first couple of letters of the title.

But yes, it would obviously be nice if we had more of a choice of how to arrange them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky shouldn't be trying to get in the way of that, nor of archiving on the PVR, unless legislation or regulation forces them to. I mean, they have even allowed that somewhat clunky workaround that I mentioned earlier!

Legislation does exist against archiving - the "copyright laws" which only allow recording for timeshift purposes and according to that they should be deleted after a "reasonable" time (which has not been as yet defined in court). If Sky were to make their stbs more useful for archiving they could well come up against problems obtaining rights to broadcast some material from certain suppliers. Although those suppliers could insist that recorded material has an expiry date to limit archiving - something I have already seen a couple of times so far on movies.

Your subscription is to view broadcasts (or timeshifts) and NOT to produce archived recordings - something Sky supply with "Buy and keep".