How can I improve my immune system?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 977
Forum Member
✭✭
Basically, I have been very ill three times in the past two months. In late October, I had a horrible cold. About three weeks ago I became ill with suspected 'flu and was stuck in bed for two days. I'm still recovering from that; I still have a cough and a lot of mucus build-up in my sinuses (sorry! :D)

This morning, I woke up with a horribly sore throat full of mucus, mucus-filled ears and sinuses, a throbbing headache, nausea, a stomach ache and a very achey neck. I don't think it's anything serious, I think it's probably just a 24 hour bug, but I'm getting a bit sick of being sick! I feel well enough in myself to sit on the sofa and watch TV but that's about it.

Is there anything I can do to improve my immune system? It never used to be this bad; I usually only get two colds a year and that's it!

Thank you :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Are you the poster who just started uni this year (not to sound like a stalker, but I think I recognise your username from the thread about living with an autistic housemate)?

Could be "Freshers Flu". A bit like when kids start school for the first time, you come into contact with new people and new germs and just pick up a lot of bugs.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Echinacea is supposed to be very good to boost the immune system

http://www.nutrasanus.com/echinacea.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fo-ti.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cariad450 wrote: »
    Are you the poster who just started uni this year (not to sound like a stalker, but I think I recognise your username from the thread about living with an autistic housemate)?

Could be "Freshers Flu". A bit like when kids start school for the first time, you come into contact with new people and new germs and just pick up a lot of bugs.

Haha yes, that's me :) I'm not actually at uni at the moment though; I've only been ill once there. Both other times in the past few months, I've been at home. I did have Freshers' Flu though, in late September :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good diet really helps. Plenty of fruit and veggies with lots of vitamins.

I could just be that being new new to uni you are being exposed to lots of new bugs that you have no immunity to, particularly if you moved to a new area for uni.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't boost the immune system. Just keep away from sick people!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vitamin C tablets can help. I take the vitamin C one a day fizzy tablets from Boots. You pop them in water and they make a nice orange or blackcurrant drink.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't boost the immune system. Just keep away from sick people!

You CAN boost the immune system. Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables of different colours - dark berries are especially good as is curly kale. I'm not a fan of vitamin supplements but Berocca is very good if you are under the weather.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    increasing the amount of raw food in your diet will pay dividends, even if you just have one raw meal a day. I try to have a raw breakfast green smoothie (i make mine sweet with fruit bbut always have kale and brocolli in there...coconut and some sultanas makes it yum too), and there are loads of recipes on the net if you google.

i'm more and more convinced that raw food is the way to go for optimal health, we eat way too many processed carbs, tins, refined sugars (i'm sugar sensitive and its like being sedated once the sugar crash kicks in...urgghhh) and cook the good out of veg and some fruits. I was pushed over the edge by seeing nutritional data of cooked versus raw...

and the humble lemon, squeezed into water, taken in the m orning is a great start to the day.

and one more thing, very freshly crushed garlic, swallowed is hugely beneficial.

try and catch this movie

http://www.rawfor30days.com/themovie.html

very interesting stuff
  • Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Echinacea is supposed to be very good to boost the immune system

I use echinacea, you don't take it all the time, I was advised to take it for three months over the winter...
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Raw food been eatinga raw egg for breakfast for years. not ill in since I was 9 so 8 years. no flu no colds no sickness bugs ect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had bad colds. couldn't overcome them. Tried Fo-ti, Chinese herb, no more colds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had fewer colds since having a glass or OJ every morning. I also know people swear by Echinea.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vitamin C tablets can help. I take the vitamin C one a day fizzy tablets from Boots. You pop them in water and they make a nice orange or blackcurrant drink.

Many double blind controlled studies into the effects of Vitamin C have found that it has a negligible effect on immunity. Of course, if you're malnurished then it would help but taking additional doses over the required small amount has no advantage. This myth has been around since Linus Pauling, the father of molecular biology, first postulated it (he even claimed that it could be used to treat cancer) but there is no evidence to prove any benefits with taking more than the required amount.

Of course, there may be a placebo effect involved with those who do take additional vitamin supplements but theres no guarantee. Best thing to do for your immune system is to have a good balanced diet and save your money not buying supplements.

Same thing goes for echinea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Many double blind controlled studies into the effects of Vitamin C have found that it has a negligible effect on immunity. Of course, if you're malnurished then it would help but taking additional doses over the required small amount has no advantage. This myth has been around since Linus Pauling, the father of molecular biology, first postulated it (he even claimed that it could be used to treat cancer) but there is no evidence to prove any benefits with taking more than the required amount.

Of course, there may be a placebo effect involved with those who do take additional vitamin supplements but theres no guarantee. Best thing to do for your immune system is to have a good balanced diet and save your money not buying supplements.

Same thing goes for echinea.

I have a poor immune system, and need extra supplements. They do work for me!
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Zinc is good for the immune system I seem to recall.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a poor immune system, and need extra supplements. They do work for me!

But extra vitamin C over the DRA doesn't have any affect on the immune system. Thats what the evidence shows. Good balanced healthy meals should provide enough for this and will be better and cheaper for you than supplements.

You may only think that they're working for you or they could be acting as a placebo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Seconding (thirding, fourthing..) the healthier/raw food. Vitamin C + D3 are also said to help.
    Perhaps you should go and get a blood test.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seconding (thirding, fourthing..) the healthier/raw food. Vitamin C + D3 are also said to help.
    Perhaps you should go and get a blood test.

I've had plenty of blood tests.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a proper amount of sleep...eat unprocessed food, including lots of fruit and veg..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Vitamin D3 10,000+ iu daily at this time of the year, get out in the sun without sunblock any other time.
    I can't get ill if I try.
  • Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    You CAN boost the immune system. Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables of different colours - dark berries are especially good as is curly kale. I'm not a fan of vitamin supplements but Berocca is very good if you are under the weather.

to an extent.
    i eat atleast 6 portions of fruit/veg a day. drink 2 litres of water, and get a good amount of excerise, yet i always pick up stuff, i have been ill for several days at a time about 5 times in the past 5 months.
    the doctor basically told me sometimes people just have crap immune systems and theres nothing you can do but live with it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had plenty of blood tests.

Pretty sure they were giving advice to my OP, not your post :D
    Thanks for your advice, I probably should eat more Vitamin C anyway :)
    msjj wrote: »
    Get a proper amount of sleep...eat unprocessed food, including lots of fruit and veg..

I already do get the recommended hours of sleep but I probably don't eat enough fruit and veg. Thanks :)
    Jaymitch1 wrote: »
    to an extent.
    i eat atleast 6 portions of fruit/veg a day. drink 2 litres of water, and get a good amount of excerise, yet i always pick up stuff, i have been ill for several days at a time about 5 times in the past 5 months.
    the doctor basically told me sometimes people just have crap immune systems and theres nothing you can do but live with it!

Ohh that's not very reassuring :( Thanks :)
  • IRITALIAIRITALIA Posts: 6,508
    Forum Member
    Try Propolis capsules which you can get from a health store or chemist. Supposed to be one of natures wonders for helping the immune system, etc.
    I started taking them about a month ago after recurring colds/chest infection and they do make me feel much better. :)
    Could be that I just got better anyhow. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for you knowing more than the scientists. It's all under investigation as far as they are concerned but you obviously know different!

http://www.health.harvard.edu/flu-resource-center/how-to-boost-your-immune-system.htm