USB socket on humax 1000s what for?

wsgwsg Posts: 185
Forum Member
Thw Humax hdr 1000s has a usb port on rear but no mention of it in user book can I transfer a recording from the humax hard drive to a usb stick?

Comments

• Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is my understanding that, just like on the Foxsat, you can plug in a memory stick or external HDD and archive (and playback) SD and HD (without encryption) recordings made on the internal HDD. You can also use the port to watch photos etc. I also understand that you can use the USB port for a wireless Wi-Fi dongle. Unfortunately the USB port is only USB2 so lacks the high-speed transfer rate of USB3. They missed an opportunity there.
  • wsgwsg Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    That sounds fine but how do you transfer as i said there is no mention of it in instruction book
  • HummyownerHummyowner Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    wsg wrote: »
    Thw Humax hdr 1000s has a usb port on rear but no mention of it in user book can I transfer a recording from the humax hard drive to a usb stick?

Not possible with the HDR 1000S - whether this will change?
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wsg wrote: »
    That sounds fine but how do you transfer as i said there is no mention of it in instruction book

You can upload video audio and photographs to the HDR-1000s hard drive or play back directly from usb. The only content you can transfer the other way (HDD to USB) is content you uploaded yourself in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is my understanding that, just like on the Foxsat, you can plug in a memory stick or external HDD and archive (and playback) SD and HD (without encryption) recordings made on the internal HDD. You can also use the port to watch photos etc. I also understand that you can use the USB port for a wireless Wi-Fi dongle. Unfortunately the USB port is only USB2 so lacks the high-speed transfer rate of USB3. They missed an opportunity there.

Not true, you can't export any recordings made by the box. There is no point at all in fitting usb3, the transfer capability is limited by the cpu processing capability and the low level cpu priority given tro usb transfers (the box has to still function as a pvr whilst using the usb ports). USB2.0 is easily capable of handling real time playback of 1080p60 content.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I've used the USB port twice now, granted it wasn't the rear but the front.
    1st time was to update to the latest firmware and the second was when I put AVSHD 709 on USB stick to calibrate the TV picture settings.
  • Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not true, you can't export any recordings made by the box. There is no point at all in fitting usb3, the transfer capability is limited by the cpu processing capability and the low level cpu priority given tro usb transfers (the box has to still function as a pvr whilst using the usb ports). USB2.0 is easily capable of handling real time playback of 1080p60 content.
    I know as I had already read your posts on AVForums on the subject before I posted and that is why I said "It is my understanding that" - that was supposed to be the function capability that people expected - you wouldn't presumably knowingly upgrade to a G2 machine with lower specs or functions than G1? That it hasn't yet been made available on the new model is because of what they enabled or didn't. Hopefully it will at some point. It still doesn't change the fact that a USB3 or eSata availability would give up to 10x faster transfer speed when archiving (if the unit was capable of meeting these speeds and still functioning as a PVR). It makes the difference between waiting 20 or 2 minutes to transfer a recording. I agree that USB2 is fine for playing back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know as I had already read your posts on AVForums on the subject before I posted and that is why I said "It is my understanding that" - that was supposed to be the function capability that people expected - you wouldn't presumably knowingly upgrade to a G2 machine with lower specs or functions than G1? That it hasn't yet been made available on the new model is because of what they enabled or didn't. Hopefully it will at some point. It still doesn't change the fact that a USB3 or eSata availability would give up to 10x faster transfer speed when archiving (if the unit was capable of meeting these speeds and still functioning as a PVR). It makes the difference between waiting 20 or 2 minutes to transfer a recording. I agree that USB2 is fine for playing back.

The G2 spec has no requirement for archiving of recordings, it does allow for streaming of recordings to other kit capable of playing back encrypted content like for instance the HDR FOX T2, The DNLA server capability required will no doubt arrive. I doubt you will ever be able to export recordings as you can with the the Foxsat-hdr and HDR-Fox T2 models. As for usb3, a box that can match the capability of usb2.0, would be good :D.

With both the above (CF for the Foxsat-hdr) you can use FTP to transfer the content directly to a PC without using USB at all. Sadly still limited by the box cpu to support the transfers anyway. As the box continues to work and via ftp there's no on screen distraction the time to transfer isn't really an issue.

The limit isn't down to the interface, I could put a 180mph speedometer on a 2CV. Like fitting USB3/Esata it would be a totally pointless exercise.
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hummyowner wrote: »
    Not possible with the HDR 1000S - whether this will change?

It locked down to prevent IP infringement ... :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »
    It locked down to prevent IP infringement ... :eek:

What's your definition of IP infrindgement ? :confused:

May be down to DRM restrictions, this is entirely different. The broadcaster pays to broadcast to a specific audience (in the case of satelitte based on the beam coverage, in the case of terrestrial by the limited range of the transmitter) PSB services are transmitted without encryption, its 100% legal to record such transmissions, using many digital receiving kit.

Recording via a locked down in some way epg, Freeview, Freesat or Sky may be subject to some restrictions, traditinally SD content not been. VCR's and many Freeview/Freesat pvrs have no such restriction. HD services via the Freesat/Freeview or Sky epg may have encryption enforced on recording. For transmissions that are not encrypted at source it's totally pointless. Anyone intending to pirate such content wouldn't use such a locked down box in the first place.

In any case recording of such content in SD is possible in real time from the digital recordings using an analogue recording device like a vcr or DVDR.

IP infrindgment is meaningless in this context.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    What's your definition of IP infrindgement ? :confused:

May be down to DRM restrictions, this is entirely different.

[...]

IP infrindgment is meaningless in this context.

DRM is generally used to prevent copyright infringement - and often an awful lot more - stopping people doing things that are entirely legal and allowed by copyright law.

I imagine the box is locked down to prevent casual copyright infringement: ie. stopping everyone and their grandmother from throwing copies around with abandon.

It won't stop anyone who knows what's what, but that's not the aim.