The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only proposals by the broadcasters.

Still think there's a chance these won't happen.

They happened last time. They will happen again.
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Last year SCD results shows were routinely beating XFactor's, besides the episodes which faced Coro. Why is SCD now lagging behind XF on Sunday nights this year? This isn't on, BBC need to look at why the gap has closed.
    The simple reason is that SCD's results are recorded - and the results are available online by Sunday morning for anyone who wants to find them - and XF is live, and can't be 'spoiled'. Strictly's result show last night was a little boring, the guest singer was Donnie Osmand, who had been featured as a judge as well on Saturday. Honestly, it was way too much, but I'm guessing that's what the BBC agreed to when they booked him. The celeb 5th judge really didn't work, IMO, but they had to try the experiment to see.

Last year, SCD was booking really strong guest artists for their results show, and they did very well from it. They need to make sure they do the same again. XF has done decently with their guest artists so far - Pharrell and Taylor are massive names. Next week, Strictly's got Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga - that's a duet I'd really want to watch, so I think their ratings could reflect that! It's certainly a perfect combination for their demographic! I can't remember if XF has announced the guest performers - they may have mentioned it at the end of last night's show, but I had already tuned out! (ETA: It's Jessie J and Maroon 5 - again, good for XF's demo, also bit of a dig at The Voice, so not so detrimental to SCD, but just that tiny step down from the all-powerful Pharrell and Taylor Swift's reaches!)

That 15 minute timeshift will have made a bit of a difference, I think - I suspect they'll have cut into other 9pm shows, simply because XF results gets their peak in the last 15 minutes usually. So, people likely tuning in, just to see the results, will have had to hang on for 30 minutes instead!
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SCD and TXF always had a shelf life. Viewers are getting bored.

I also think a decent number of folk tuned in for Bruce too. I've only watched about 20 minutes of SCD this year and it's not the same. The magic has gone.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Only proposals by the broadcasters.

Still think there's a chance these won't happen.

Cameron would be stupid not to do these as Milliband would just implode.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I also think a decent number of folk tuned in for Bruce too. I've only watched about 20 minutes of SCD this year and it's not the same. The magic has gone.
    Totally agree with all of that. :)
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Hardly surprising SCD is up year on year given that it faced Coro last year. Shouldn't it have been up more than just 0.2million?! That's a pretty bad rating for its results show.

With the Strictly results show being recorded the day before, you can find out who went out on Sunday morning and not have to actually watch the official reveal. maybe more people are just doing that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    They happened last time. They will happen again.

We'll see. All parties agreed that they took up too big a part of the campaign in 2010 so I doubt there will be three of them, and they might be over a longer period than in the 3 weeks before polling.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jessie J and Maroon 5 for X Factor results next week.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    I didn't read the tweets properly so thanks for correcting me. Hmm, we'll have to wait and see I agree.

Interesting that ITV want Farage but the BBC don't. That's a surprise as you can't move for current affairs programmes in the BBC without an appearance from him.
    Forum Member

That all depends on whether you liked Bruce and I know a lot didnt.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Did X Factor beat Strictly without +1? Only 0.30m in it with +1. And the last 10-15 mins were given an unusual boost by early Downtoners, as mentioned. Also Strictly has a worse slot. Bit early to say "the magic has gone" IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lib Dems have squashed the debates proposal already. They want Clegg to be in all 3.
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Did X Factor beat Strictly without +1? Only 0.30m in it with +1. And the last 10-15 mins were given an unusual boost by early Downtoners, as mentioned. Also Strictly has a worse slot. Bit early to say "the magic has gone" IMO.

Excluding +1
    TXF - 8.49m (33.7%), +1 - 297k (1.3%)
    SCD - 8.49m (35.2%)

From DS.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doesn't seem to harm it on Saturday's, or indeed even Sunday's last year.

TXF is against 5m+ for Antiques Roadshow, whereas Strictly Palladium 3.5m.
    Forum Member

It doesnt matter whether individuals on here think the magic is back on XF or has gone from SCD the ratings are still around 9m+ for both and they will be around a long time yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [B]BBC One [/B]
    18.30 – Countryfile: 4.99m (23.8%) 
    19.15 – Strictly Come Dancing: Results: 8.49m (35.2%) 
    20.00 – Antiques Roadshow: 4.96m (20.2%) 
    21.00 – Our Girl: 3.89m (15.8%)

[B]ITV [/B]
    16.30 – Euro Football: 5.03m (27.9%) 
    19.15 – Sunday Night At The Palladium: 4.13m (17.1%, +1: 230k) 
    20.15 – The X Factor: 8.49m (33.7%, +1: 297k) 
    [I]* peak of 11.2m inc +1[/I]
    21.15 – Downton Abbey: 7.32m (31.6%, +1: 425k)

[B]Channel 4 [/B]
    18.30 – Deal or No Deal: 1.13m (5.3%, +1: 121k) 
    19.30 – Guy Martin’s Spitfire: 1.79m (7.3%, +1: 268k) 
    21.00 – Homeland: 1.27m (5.2%, +1: 244k)

[B]Channel 5 [/B]
    18.30 – Spider-Man 3: 1.01m (4.3%, +1: 157k) 
    21.15 – 2012: 1.12m (6.8%, +1: 135k)

[B]ITV2[/B]
    21.15 – The Xtra Factor: 521k (2.2%)

— 
    Source: DS

Forum Member
    Lib Dems have squashed the debates proposal already. They want Clegg to be in all 3.

Well it will be his last hurrah - he wont be around long after the election results they are likely to get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4 separate positive statements about Strictly there... :D is someone a bit worried? ;)

In all seriousness I do think Strictly's heading for a dip this year and XF a rise, but both will be muted in appearance and not drastic in either direction.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually ratings are going to be much more interesting with SCD and TXF on the same level. Makes things less easy to spin when both are in decline together.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    "@TVRatingsUK: Coverage of Estonia v England on ITV averaged 5.10m/28.2% from 4.30pm, peaking with 7.46m/35.3% at 6.45pm."

When will people here understand that England matches will get a decent rating on ITV. It's a guaranteed 4/5m each time.
    Solid, but not spectacular. ;)
    Forum Member

Saturdays are different as viewing peaks at about 20:40 as we have seen. Sundays - not the case IIRC. TXF has managed to draw with Strictly exc +1 because of a Downton boost. Normal service should be resumed next week.

And yes, ITV perform worse against BBC One's big hitter. That's ITV's problem, not a valid excuse.
    Forum Member
    James J wrote: »
    4 separate positive statements about Strictly there... :D is someone a bit worried? ;)

In all seriousness I do think Strictly's heading for a dip this year and XF a rise, but both will be muted in appearance and not drastic in either direction.

Someone's got to counter Robbie's words of doom. They carry 4 x more weight than my comments ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone's got to counter Robbie's words of doom. They carry 4 x more weight than my comments ;-)
    Nah, that's not true! :) You're just as important!

I've said the Bruce factor would harm Strictly this year before and it's been said on Twitter and in the papers. I do think it'll be a factor this year sadly.

My Mum is a Strictly fan, feels the same (not just about Bruce, something about disliking Tess/Claudia and thinking the show is too "over the top" now) and has actually switched off. That's not a lie by the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Cleese just said "bastard" on This Morning and then when Philip apologised, he said "it's after 9 o clock!" Philip said "the wrong one!" and Cleese said "you mean to say you cannot say B-A-S-T-A-R-D on the television until after 9?"

"I know it's ridiculous isn't it? Don't say it again!" said Schofield.

:D
    Forum Member

AR was just under 5m and Palladium 4.4m so hardly a masive difference - this week at least.
This discussion has been closed.