Which difficulty setting do you play games on ?.

2»

Comments

• ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends if they're trophies linked to difficulty. If not then I'll just play on normal.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Depends on the type of game and how good the AI is at higher difficulties. Call of Duty World at War for example used to just spam enemy spawns over and over which just felt more frustrating than tougher. Fifa also has some of the worse AI iv'e ever seen at higher settings with scripting and nerfing of your own teams skills and ability, it's no fun dominating a team for 90 minutes for them to win with their only shot on goal, good play should be rewarded, no matter what the difficulty.

3d and 2d fighters, i nearly always crank it up to the hardest difficulty, i like the practice for online play.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything with a campaign/single player story I generally play on the hardest setting straight away. I'm not one for multiple playthroughs so this way I get the best challenge without having to replay. I've not yet had to drop the difficulty but I've been close a couple of times.

Any side missions or trophies I need afterwards I sometimes do on easy just to get them done so I can move on to something else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Easy usually. I just want to see the story and move on to another game.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easy usually. I just want to see the story and move on to another game.

Same though I will turn the difficulty up on repeat playthroughs to get some trophies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Usually start on easy or normal and if the game grabs me enough for another play through I'll up it.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normal on most games.

But on FPS I will only use the easiest setting and I still get killed a lot. I just can't do FPS games. Hence I no longer buy them and only play games free on PS+.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Hard if I know there's going to be an 'insane' mode that I can only unlock by playing on hard, otherwise Normal.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I play on the hardest setting available. I want my first play through to be a challenge and to last a while, I will normally knock the difficulty down to the easiest setting on a second play through (Unless a harder mode has opened and is required for a trophy) as that means I can experience the story without any breaks and it make mopping up miscellaneous trophies easier.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I play on the hardest setting available. I want my first play through to be a challenge and to last a while...

Finally, a hardcore gamer amongst us lightweights. ;)
  • GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same as Hotbird for me.
    I always play on the hardest difficulty possible (using mouse & keyboard) so that I can get every last drop I can get out of the game, and if that unlocks a harder level then I go for that too :cool: . The CoD campaigns played on Veteran made it really frustrating at times, but I just kept trying until I succeeded in doing what needed to be done to progress and win through. Never drop down a level.

There are sometimes extra bits/levels in a game on the highest difficulties (thinking of Thief: TDP in particular), plus if I enjoy a game then I'm darn well going to enjoy it to the maximum, not just blast through it without doing everything! :D
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Hard if I know there's going to be an 'insane' mode that I can only unlock by playing on hard, otherwise Normal.

I've beaten all Gear of War games on the hardest difficulty available and yet can't unlock the 'insane' difficulty. :(
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GamerGirl wrote: »
    There are sometimes extra bits/levels in a game on the highest difficulties (thinking of Thief: TDP in particular), plus if I enjoy a game then I'm darn well going to enjoy it to the maximum, not just blast through it without doing everything! :D
    If I'm playing on normal difficulty I don't blast my may through, I always take my time and explore everywhere, playing on the hardest settings will only enrage me to the point of smashing the controller which is no fun lol.

Didn't know about extra bits for playing it on hard though, wondering what I've missed now :p
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go for the hardest difficulty available, then like with tlou I'll play again on easy just so I can then concentrate on the story.
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually on the easiest setting - I'm a bit of a wimp!

The only game I've gone through and done at the hardest setting is the first Devil May Cry. Gosh, I loved that game. :)

Easy for me as well but mostly because of my disability I've only got 1 hand to control the game with
  • Gareth1984Gareth1984 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I usually play on normal and crank the difficulty up if I play through again. On sports sims however I usually play on normal for my first few games and gradually move upto the hardest difficulty.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    In the PS2 era, I used to select easy on every game. Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cry (I think easy has to be unlocked - which wasn't too difficult!), MGS 2 etc. RE Remake for the Gamecube.

Then... I went through an Hard phase with the PS3, with Uncharted and The Last of Us especially.

Now I just select Normal and probably be done with it!
  • Colonel_JasperColonel_Jasper Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually play on normal difficulty.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normal, i dont have time for hard.