Options

Why is EastEnders so poor of late?

laurenlawsonlaurenlawson Posts: 2,403
Forum Member
✭✭✭
People may have noticed that the quality of EastEnders has taken a nose dive in recent months. :(
But the question is... why? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    Lots of different reasons - most blame BK - i partly blame him, but also the mess that DS left him with - he's not a miracle worker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no idea, but the Christmas spoilers look dire.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ask the half dozen other threads about the same subject you might get a answer.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been dire. Ghastly Glenda and Phil / Ian squeal Beale, yuk.

Has Ian got a death wish? Jane's on the verge of leaving him then he's paying for it moments later.
  • Options
    Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The continuation of poor pacing and continuity in the show. Re-casts galore - just because Kirkwood had a personality clash with those he re-cast or no longer rated as actors! The under use of certain characters (most notably Ronnie and Roxy of late!), bringing in Hollyoaks-esque northerners to the show such as the Golds (why?!). Rushed endings to storylines that were not that great in the first place (Lucas/Denise's conclusion being the stand out sore thumb one under BK). I could go on but it's bedtime now.......!:sleep:
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even know what the big Christmas stories are...Janine trying to poison Ryan is a bit yawnsome, I think Ryan and Stacey work but as Lacey Turner is leaving it all feels a bit pointless. Am not interested in Glenda's antics or Connor and Ronnie has disappeared since her wedding!

It's all a bit lacklustre. Corrie used to be the soap that I'd multi-task to, now I feel glued to Corrie and wandering off when EE is on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    ask the half dozen other threads about the same subject you might get a answer.

This.
  • Options
    Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even know what the big Christmas stories are...Janine trying to poison Ryan is a bit yawnsome, I think Ryan and Stacey work but as Lacey Turner is leaving it all feels a bit pointless. Am not interested in Glenda's antics or Connor and Ronnie has disappeared since her wedding!

It's all a bit lacklustre. Corrie used to be the soap that I'd multi-task to, now I feel glued to Corrie and wandering off when EE is on.

Well put! I don't watch any other soaps as there are only 24 hours in a day but I find I tend to multi-task now when EE is on ("background TV"?!), I'm no longer glued really, only for occasional episodes does it grab my attention now...
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay seriously I think EE is awful atm but how many threads does there need to be?
    Tbh I've said all I'm going to say about EE. I'll watch Xmas and New Year, mainly because I'll be forced to with the family, but I doubt I'll bother with it again after that. It's just the same storylines over and over. Santar hid this well with his big reveal plots but BK dosen't have a damn clue what to do with his large cast. His one big storyline is the baby swap but damned if that is going to be really unpleasent to watch. It'll probably drag out for months as well...
    I'll say though I think there are alot more things to be getting on with than moaning about a show that is rubbish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am yet to see the other threads, and quite honestly couldn't care less, the point of a forum is you can create threads as and when you want. If you have read these kind before, well there is a simple thing to do..... don't read/comment.

As for Eastenders, i was talking about this tonight. What you have to look at is what it goes up against at the minute, i remember having this discussion about Coronation Street back in February when Eastenders were gearing up for the live eppisode week. Corie have really stepped it up a gear this week, and honestly it is the best i have seen it in years, Eastenders was always going to struggle against it.

That been said Eastenders current storylines are boring, not helped by BK bad re casting. The new Lauren is very inconvincing in an already dried up storyline, the problem they have is this is nearly two years old, and should have been put to bed with Bradley. The whole storyline with Janine/Ryan/Stacey is another that is boring. They have tried to make this intresting with Janine now
    trying to kill Ryan and then finding out about Archie

The new Ben looks like a young member of the Kray twins, only with hearing problems and a specsavers near by. I also expect the story that everyone predicted is about to happen, Ben will be bad. The quick recovery of Phil was verging on laughable, whilst i think over in Emerdale the acting is poor, i think they were honest in there timing of things.

Glenda seems surplus to requirments, and they just was to have her sleep around.

Bianca is about to have a very sudden exit
    and end up in prison
    maybe she can be someones bitch and come out with tatoos and a nose piercing.

Currently Eastenders is in need of fresh blood, and i really hope to see it. The current crop all need resting, thankfully we will be saying bye to a few, however they could really do with a new family to bring a new dimention to the show, or finally do the inteligant thing and move stories on, and stop relying on the use of Stacey and Max ect.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sean_brom wrote: »
    I am yet to see the other threads, and quite honestly couldn't care less, the point of a forum is you can create threads as and when you want. If you have read these kind before, well there is a simple thing to do..... don't read/comment

I'm all for debatable discussions with substance but obviously you have too notice the sheer number of threads slating EE and BK making people wonder if certain members are just trolling and it also clogs up the forum plus the rules beg to differ.

Duplicate threads and cross-posting
    Before creating a new thread please carry out a brief search to see if your contribution could be made to an existing thread. Do not purposely duplicate threads or cross-post to multiple forums.

example
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1405562&page=20

20 pages on why EE is declining, crap what ever you want to call it.
  • Options
    Gingerbread'Gingerbread' Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    ::Adam:: wrote: »
    Lots of different reasons - most blame BK - i partly blame him, but also the mess that DS left him with - he's not a miracle worker.

Bull imho Santer never left a big mess., The show was riding high off its best era for several years when BK came in. You can't blame anyone but him for his mistakes. You talk like Diederick Santer had the show in a slump which simply isn't true and people are changing history by saying so
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Bullshit. DS never left a big mess., The show was riding high off its best era for several years when BK came in. You can't blame anyone but him for his mistakes. You talk like Diederick Santer had the show in a slump which simply isn't true and people are changing history by saying so

Jesus, that's a rude reply. Someone comes on here and makes a balanced statement, and they get this back from you? You seriously need to calm down.
  • Options
    Gingerbread'Gingerbread' Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Jesus, that's a rude reply. Someone comes on here and makes a balanced statement, and they get this back from you? You seriously need to calm down.

I don't think its rude at all. People are making up lies and false claims directed at Santer in an attempt to cover up Kirkwood's mess.

By the same 8th month period Santer had been in office he had several massive storylines under his belt, Stella, May, stalker Steven, the Stax build up and fall out, The Vic raid with Ronnie & Roxy joining and Jean becoming full time after 3 years of being semi regular. Yet what does Kirkwood have to show for his first 8 months?
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can`t be that bad since its getting nearly 10 million viewers which is pretty good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bull imho Santer never left a big mess., The show was riding high off its best era for several years when BK came in. You can't blame anyone but him for his mistakes. You talk like Diederick Santer had the show in a slump which simply isn't true and people are changing history by saying so

Towards the end of his era he got VERY lazy IMO - He did the live episode which was great, but never followed it up - he made some very strange decisions(Stacey being Archie's killer), overloaded us with teens(and that horrible teen camping week) etc - BK had all this to sort out, and is still trying to imo - once Stacey leaves, the biggest DS storyline will hopefully finally be over and we can finally move onto the new era - oh and i ain't saying it's all down to DS - but he certainly hasn't helped matters.
  • Options
    miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ::Adam:: wrote: »

DS left no mess at all. He left Eastenders in the best shape it has been in, in years...but look how quickly that has changed now. Eastenders is dreadful.
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh FFS. Don't act like you haven't seen the other 12 threads on this - half of them are on the first page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    miles19740 wrote: »
    DS left no mess at all. He left Eastenders in the best shape it has been in, in years...but look how quickly that has changed now. Eastenders is dreadful.

He really did - do we not remember a whole week focused on teens? or the lack of aftermath from the live episode? Stacey being made Archie's killer? really? all DS mistakes imho - but that's my opinion - as a fan who's watch all there life.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    doesnt stop EE still gaining High ratings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    too many one dimensional characters, they need to have a mass clearout get rid of all the dead wood. I don't suppose theres a tram line running over walford is there?
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    I think the new Ben looks like Jay, well there's some similarity for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    too many one dimensional characters, they need to have a mass clearout get rid of all the dead wood. I don't suppose theres a tram line running over walford is there?

Yes - yes there is.
  • Options
    edduk1981edduk1981 Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    up until last week could the same not be said of Corrie.

Ok it tops most of the ratings in the week but still alot of cast needs to be given the boot.

Funny how we rarely see a thread saying why is corrie or Emmerdale so rubbish at the min when it is not brilliant.

EE seems to go through this slump around this time of the year but Xmas and New Year pulls it back.

Am soooooo looking forward to the Kat/Ronnie storyline, love how EE tackles serious subjects and the acting will be brilliant i know it will.
  • Options
    ManOfEastManOfEast Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The opposite could be argued that people are "changing history" by pretending the show was great at the time. But I'm not going argue that, because people have these things called erm... opinions...

Although you used a different term...
    ...lies and false claims...

I believe the show was not in a good state when Santer handed it over, but I am dissappointed Kirkwood hasn't fixed more of the problems.

The last solid chunks of truly unmissable EE for me were in 2005. Sure there have been episodes here and there, the odd week that was brilliant, but overall I haven't been feeling it for years. I am dissappointed because for maybe a month or two (Late August-September-October), I felt the show being taken in the right direction, so it's dissappointing that hasn't been followed through.

I don't feel Kirkwood came in and butchered a great show. He took over a weak show, and... well it's still weak imo lol.