Options

ICU Nurse's Research On Near Death Experiences

nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545668/Is-proof-near-death-experiences-ARE-real-Extraordinary-new-book-intensive-care-nurse-reveals-dramatic-evidence-says-banish-fear-dying.html

^ This is a very interesting article by Dr Penny Sartori, a British Intensive Care nurse, and her seven-year clinical study on dying patients and their near death experiences.

And her new book due to be released next month:

The Wisdom of Near Death Experiences: How Understanding NDEs Can Help Us to Live More Fully

I hadn't heard of this lady before reading the above DM article. I'll definitely be buying her book, though, as I have a personal interest in NDEs. My mother had one.

Anybody else interested in this phenomenon?

ETA: There's more about her research in following link:

http://drpennysartori.com/

Comments

• Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding the following case:
    In November 2009, Rajaa Benamour had an anaesthetic injection for minor surgery, after which she found herself mentally scrolling through her entire life, right back to her birth. This was followed by what she could only describe as a rapid review of the creation of the universe. After being discharged from hospital, she started trying to find books about what she’d learned during her vision.
    Eventually, she realised that she had somehow acquired an in-depth understanding of quantum physics — despite never having previously known anything about the subject.
    This motivated her to study the subject at university level.
    The professor in charge of her studies was astounded. The knowledge she’d already acquired, he said, could not have come either from studying student textbooks or taking a quick course.
    Stranger still, he was puzzled by some of her scientific theories — yet they’ve since been confirmed by papers published in physics journals.

I googled the name, and had a look at the sample of the results. The results all seem to refer to a talk given by Ms Sartori in an NDE Conference in March 2013.

Which means that the entire experience as described above took place over a period of less than three and a half years. Which is a little hard to believe, I'm afraid.

I wonder whether it ever occurred to her to paint numbers on the tops of cupboards, and asked those whose spirits floated to the ceiling what the numbers were.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »

I googled the name, and had a look at the sample of the results. The results all seem to refer to a talk given by Ms Sartori in an NDE Conference in March 2013.

Which means that the entire experience as described above took place over a period of less than three and a half years. Which is a little hard to believe, I'm afraid.

I wonder whether it ever occurred to her to paint numbers on the tops of cupboards, and asked those whose spirits floated to the ceiling what the numbers were.

Main problem I have with ICU's is that they so often rely on the testimony of someone off their tits on whatever the doctors gave them, hardly a reliable sample
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure what you mean by this? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Main problem I have with ICU's is that they so often rely on the testimony of someone off their tits on whatever the doctors gave them, hardly a reliable sample

If you read into Sartori's article in the DM, she tells us that some of the patients weren't on any drugs at all during their NDE. In fact, she seems to believe that giving patients drugs could actually be preventing people from having the experiences:

Sartori: Are NDEs merely hallucinations caused by drugs? Clearly not — as 20 per cent of the patients in my sample, including Tom Kennard, had received no drugs at all.

Indeed, when I analysed my research, I found that pain-killing and sedative drugs, particularly at high levels, seem to make it less likely that a patient will have an NDE.

In other words, well-meaning doctors who over-sedate dying patients may be denying them a natural and comforting final vision.

She has also heard from people who have had experiences whilst pumped full of drugs:

Furthermore, I also interviewed 12 patients who’d had drug-induced hallucinations. These were random and often frightening — such as being chased and stabbed with needles by drug dealers — but they bore absolutely no relation to NDEs.

All fascinating stuff.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    If you read into Sartori's article in the DM, she tells us that some of the patients weren't on any drugs at all during their NDE. In fact, she seems to believe that giving patients drugs could actually be preventing people from having the experiences:

Sartori: Are NDEs merely hallucinations caused by drugs? Clearly not — as 20 per cent of the patients in my sample, including Tom Kennard, had received no drugs at all.

Indeed, when I analysed my research, I found that pain-killing and sedative drugs, particularly at high levels, seem to make it less likely that a patient will have an NDE.

In other words, well-meaning doctors who over-sedate dying patients may be denying them a natural and comforting final vision.

She has also heard from people who have had experiences whilst pumped full of drugs:

Furthermore, I also interviewed 12 patients who’d had drug-induced hallucinations. These were random and often frightening — such as being chased and stabbed with needles by drug dealers — but they bore absolutely no relation to NDEs.

All fascinating stuff.

There are far too many variables to rely have a full study on it. There seems to be no way to prove NEDs are in fact what they claim and not just the result of something else and it seems impossible to establish cause and effect. Makes good anecdotal reading I give you that
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All fascinating stuff.

Fascinating it may be, but I think "well-meaning doctors who over-sedate dying patients may be denying them a natural and comforting final vision" is the first step down a potentially very unpleasant road. Because what they may also be "denying" them is a lot of pain.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545668/Is-proof-near-death-experiences-ARE-real-Extraordinary-new-book-intensive-care-nurse-reveals-dramatic-evidence-says-banish-fear-dying.html

^ This is a very interesting article by Dr Penny Sartori, a British Intensive Care nurse, and her seven-year clinical study on dying patients and their near death experiences.

And her new book due to be released next month:

The Wisdom of Near Death Experiences: How Understanding NDEs Can Help Us to Live More Fully

I hadn't heard of this lady before reading the above DM article. I'll definitely be buying her book, though, as I have a personal interest in NDEs. My mother had one.

Anybody else interested in this phenomenon?

ETA: There's more about her research in following link:

http://drpennysartori.com/

Utter garbage I'm afraid >:(
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't provide proof, just theory.

Regardless, if these experiences, or knowledge of these experiences encourages people to live more fulfilled lives, then surely it's all good. It's not like anyone is gaining by encouraging you to believe in NDEs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Fascinating it may be, but I think "well-meaning doctors who over-sedate dying patients may be denying them a natural and comforting final vision" is the first step down a potentially very unpleasant road. Because what they may also be "denying" them is a lot of pain.

Well yes, perhaps 'denying' wasn't the right word to use there; but I'm sure the nurse involved didn't mean it in that way, seeing as she is/was an intensive care nurse for many years.

Also, it seems that patients still have the right to refuse drugs that doctors prescribe for them, however ill they may be. Not that that means they'll go on to have a NDE, of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Interesting. Thanks.

You're very welcome. :)
    Utter garbage I'm afraid >:(

Thanks for your comment too, but why the angry smiley?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well yes, perhaps 'denying' wasn't the right word to use there; but I'm sure the nurse involved didn't mean it in that way, seeing as she is/was an intensive care nurse for many years.

Also, it seems that patients still have the right to refuse drugs that doctors prescribe for them, however ill they may be. Not that that means they'll go on to have a NDE, of course.

I hope that this does not lead to some people purposely ending their lives in pain in the hope that they have some kind of experience. I know it is their choice, but I think it is wrong for her to have published/said this because of the lack of proof and the harm it could cause.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're very welcome. :)

Thanks for your comment too, but why the angry smiley?

Angry that this woman is trying to make money out of her position by peddling such stuff :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    I hope that this does not lead to some people purposely ending their lives in pain in the hope that they have some kind of experience. I know it is their choice, but I think it is wrong for her to have published/said this because of the lack of proof and the harm it could cause.

I don't think the nurse was implying that approach either.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a fascinating read. I suppose the criticism will always be that it doesn't stand up to standard scientific rigour i.e. it's next to impossible to produce empirical evidence that it has happened.

However, I'm always minded to think that in a universe of quantum physics, dark matter and hyperdimensions, where enough people have experienced a similar thing, then there might well be something to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angry that this woman is trying to make money out of her position by peddling such stuff :(

Such stuff? These are people's experiences we are talking about.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't doubt there is a "near death experience" but I'm of the opinion it's related to oxygen levels and the brain rather than a more mystic explanation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the nurse was implying that approach either.

Perhaps she personally wasn't, but considering how easily one could misread such a statement it is quite irresponsible.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what you mean by this? :confused:

Assuming you mean the part you emboldened, perhaps you could tell me which part you didn't understand.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't doubt there is a "near death experience" but I'm of the opinion it's related to oxygen levels and the brain rather than a more mystic explanation.

They actually cover that in the article and say that they measured blood oxygen levels in people who'd experienced them and the levels were as normal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such stuff? These are people's experiences we are talking about.

Their brains are going through anoxia - a state that is readily shown to cause sensory disturbances and hallucinations.

I suspect the nurse in question is well aware of this, but has still chosen to make a few quid perpetuating the NDE nonsense.

Very cynical :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their brains are going through anoxia - a state that is readily shown to cause sensory disturbances and hallucinations.

I suspect the nurse in question is well aware of this, but has still chosen to make a few quid perpetuating the NDE nonsense.

Very cynical :(

Do you feel the same way about Dr Susan Blackmore?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming you mean the part you emboldened, perhaps you could tell me which part you didn't understand.

All of the emboldened bit. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you feel the same way about Dr Susan Blackmore?

Oh yes! What a wonderfully selective link you provided. How about this quote from her...

"It was just over thirty years ago that I had the dramatic out-of-body experience that convinced me of the reality of psychic phenomena and launched me on a crusade to show those closed-minded scientists that consciousness could reach beyond the body and that death was not the end. Just a few years of careful experiments changed all that. I found no psychic phenomena - only wishful thinking, self-deception, experimental error and, occasionally, fraud. I became a sceptic" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes! What a wonderfully selective link you provided. How about this quote from her...

"It was just over thirty years ago that I had the dramatic out-of-body experience that convinced me of the reality of psychic phenomena and launched me on a crusade to show those closed-minded scientists that consciousness could reach beyond the body and that death was not the end. Just a few years of careful experiments changed all that. I found no psychic phenomena - only wishful thinking, self-deception, experimental error and, occasionally, fraud. I became a sceptic" :D

BIB: Isn't it just a selective link? I had no idea she'd been on all that trippy stuff and into ouija boards.

But what has happened to her?* All of her 'official' sites are no longer available. She was once seen as a leading psychologist in NDE research. She even sold books on the subject (making more than a "few quid" to borrow your term) and asked for people's experiences to include in her books - my mother included. I still have a letter that Blackmore wrote to my mother.

Hmmmmm.

List of her books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1/279-0601543-7761023?_encoding=UTF8&field-author=Susan%20J.%20Blackmore&search-alias=books-uk&sort=relevancerank

ETA: *I see by your wiki link that she now has CFS.