Baddiel and Skinner Uplanned - ITV

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really used to enjoy this show, I really think they should bring it back! Be low budget so would fit in with the cheap production values and would be perfect for 9/10:30pm on weeknights again!!

What did everyone else think of it?

Comments

• CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was my favourite show of the week at the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never understood why it never came back considering how cheap it would have been?
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should have been titled "Baddiel and Skinner - Unfunny"
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Should've been called "Commercial Breaks with Baddiel and Skinner in Between"
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about this show recently, and how effective it was. Some bits were better than others (never really saw the point of the whole rigmarole about choosing a song from the book for them to sing), but it was still one of the funniest things on tv at the time.

I thought it suffered a bit for not being live for the second series, since it lost the anything-could-happen-right-now feel a bit.
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can remember when someone asked if David Baddiel was Ernie Wise to Franks Eric Morcambe:D

I dont think Baddiel was best pleased

The original fantasy football on BBC2 which the pair hosted was top notch tele back in teh day
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can remember when someone asked if David Baddiel was Ernie Wise to Franks Eric Morcambe:D

Aye, but it's a fair comparison. I liked Baddiel well enough but he can't match Frank when it comes to being witty.
  • Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think one of the reasons it finished was because the audience ran out of fresh questions to ask them and felt a bit forced..also it was called unplanned but towards the end they where showing clips from other unplanned series where the format was solded to,thus not being unplanned at all..was a really funny show tho and with there being a long gap from when it was last on be good to bring back
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    I never understood why it never came back considering how cheap it would have been?

You really think Baddiel and Skinner did it for nothing? They were extremely highly paid at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really think Baddiel and Skinner did it for nothing? They were extremely highly paid at the time.

Compare their earnings to the judges on the X Factor...to what they usually put on at that time now...make back the cost because the adverts will be dearer with them on than whatever is on now...i meant cheap in retrospect
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could they bring it back?.... It'll never work... it'll never work... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could they bring it back?.... It'll never work... it'll never work... :D

Ahhh that brings back memories - may have to find it on youtube :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've no idea how much they were paid, but it always had the feel of a show that they were just doing for the fun of it. I'd like to think that if they were offered the chance to do another series then they'd jump at the chance. Then again, I assume the pair genuinely enjoy hanging out together.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    It cannot come back because it is a comedy show and it was on ITV, and ITV don't do comedy shows any more.

Can you imagine it getting past a focus group ?

So they have no idea what they are going to do or say? No way - unless we see a script first !
    Will there be guests from TOWIE ?
    How will they promote X-Factor or Britain's got Talent?
    Will they be asked about Coronation Street plotlines?
    How can we have a comedy show without Harry Hill in it ??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're probably right, but it doesn't have to be ITV, does it? There's a lot more channels around these days. Maybe Dave would fund it. (Not that I've ever watched Dave in my life, but if they made a new series of Unplanned then I'd seriously consider starting...)
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was there a bit of the show where someone from the audience would draw on a blackboard..............anyone remember what that was about ?

Also at the end didn't they do a random song from a songbook with David on piano and Frank singing ?.............:p
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The original fantasy football on BBC2 which the pair hosted was top notch tele back in teh day

A classic moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VCJVZ2I9zY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Was there a bit of the show where someone from the audience would draw on a blackboard..............anyone remember what that was about ?
    Well in theory their job was just to record the topics that were discussed, but in practice it was really to give the presenters someone to make fun of. But it wasn't done in a mean-spirited way, as I recall.
    Also at the end didn't they do a random song from a songbook with David on piano and Frank singing ?.............:p
    Yeah I already mentioned that earlier :p Didn't think that worked so well. The idea of them ending with a song was ok, but they could've just chosen one themselves in advance. I know the concept of the show was "unplanned", but rules are there to be broken.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea of it being on Dave is great! That would be the ideal place for it :D
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use to really enjoy this show
    didnt they repeat it around 2007ish
  • seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe it's been off air for 7 years. Absolutely love the show, would be great to have it back. They repeated it quite a bit in 2005/6 on what was Paramount Comedy, now Comedy Central.
  • Coma_WhiteComa_White Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    I know I have a couple of episodes of this on an ancient tape somewhere! I don't see why it would have been considered 'tired' it was a topical show, much like Frank Skinner's Opinionated is, actually. Just funnier.
  • tiltonlandtiltonland Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Loved it at the time and would be great to see it back on our screens,,Baddiel had a great sense of humour, kind of dry and sarcastic,,not everyone got it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good show and I was lucky to see their live show in London back in 2001, only cost about £5 or £10. Would like to see it back on TV again. Agree that Fantasy Football was a top programme as well
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed this programme.In saying that the first 2 series were live (not too sure if the 3rd series was also live) which was pretty good as the ad breaks were not that long.But when they started showing it pre recorded the ad breaks were longer & it would sometimes feel as if the programme was being rushed due to the editing.

I have all 5 series on tape.I might be missing the odd episode here & there but i have the majority of them.I just need to find the time to transfer them onto disc.

On the subject of Fantasy Football i have the FF Euro 2004 show they did on ITV on tape.As far as i'm aware i recorded all episodes.