Options

Official TVonics thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And those of us longing for TTS on the DTR-HV250 too.
  • Options
    NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    Company Checker has just updated, http://companycheck.co.uk/company/06380612

TVONICS SOLUTIONS LIMITED
    Companies House status: In Administration

:(

If anyone wants to contact the administrator, this is Mr Bell (the administrator)'s contact details,

Gary Bell
    Bell Advisory LLP
    Tenth Floor
    3 Hardman Street
    Spinningfields
    Manchester
    M3 3HF
    Telephone: 0161 932 1440
    Email: info@bell-advisory.co.uk
    http://www.bell-advisory.co.uk/
  • Options
    daydotzdaydotz Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    shame :(
  • Options
    ClemClem Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NEWLINEtv wrote: »
    As it stands, at this moment in time, until further notice, all of us with the recording conflict bug will have to learn to live with it, :(.

Or downgrade to a previous version of the firmware perhaps. I held-off applying the very latest code in view of the bug and that seems to have proved the correct thing to do, especially pending TVonics potential demise. All a pity really -- the kit was/is pretty good, and it's a shame that people that work for the company will probably end-up jobless without any redundancy pay. Even if the company does come through this though, the brand is I think sufficiently tarnished as to not last that long. On a personal note, I just hope that my HD500 keeps going -- having had it for only a couple of months there's gonna be nothing by way of warranty support if it dies.

Clem
  • Options
    cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clem wrote: »
    Or downgrade to a previous version of the firmware perhaps. I held-off applying the very latest code in view of the bug and that seems to have proved the correct thing to do, especially pending TVonics potential demise.

Clem

I was just going to ask about this too. Maybe we on this thread can at least help and advise each other now, in the absence of the tvonics team to guide us.

Could anyone confirm which version of the firmware is the most satisfactory? I'm currently on V2.0.A2058.D358.F101, which I think is the last-but-one update. I have downloaded the subsequent update (V3), but I didn't apply it because I read some posts on here which mentioned a problem. Have I done the right thing by sticking with the version I've got?

Many thanks in advance if anyone can advise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Or downgrade to a previous version of the firmware perhaps. I held-off applying the very latest code in view of the bug and that seems to have proved the correct thing to do, especially pending TVonics potential demise. All a pity really -- the kit was/is pretty good, and it's a shame that people that work for the company will probably end-up jobless without any redundancy pay. Even if the company does come through this though, the brand is I think sufficiently tarnished as to not last that long. On a personal note, I just hope that my HD500 keeps going -- having had it for only a couple of months there's gonna be nothing by way of warranty support if it dies.

Clem

Is it possible to downgrade? Where can the previous firmwares be downloaded and how would you force the box to install them?

I also don't think the brand is tarnished, most people won't realise they have gone into administration, it's only been a week and a half.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if the company does come through this though, the brand is I think sufficiently tarnished as to not last that long.

Why so gloomy? Administration may be the way forward to bringing TVonics back to a going concern and I think fears for its reputation are unfounded.

Certainly the RNIB sponsoring the Text To Speech function for the HD PVRs was done in good faith since the Goodmans' Smart Talk Audio Navigation is in an STB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think leicsmark is right Clem, the story of TVonics in administration hasn't even been picked up by any of the newspapers or news channels, at least not that I am aware of.

I have made contact with the administrator to try to find out what is going, any reply I get I'll post here, (if they allow me).
  • Options
    EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange that there's a 4 year cycle associated with TVonics.

Established in 2004

Into administration in 2008

Into administration again in 2012

Their prices were not pitched at the cheap end of the market so with buoyant product sales their revenue must have been fairly substantial but perhaps their production costs were just too high.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    The news has been picked up by What HiFi. This was posted on their website a couple of days ago:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/tvonics-appoints-bell-advisory-llp-as-administrator
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earake wrote: »
    Strange that there's a 4 year cycle associated with TVonics.

Established in 2004

Into administration in 2008

Into administration again in 2012

Their prices were not pitched at the cheap end of the market so with buoyant product sales their revenue must have been fairly substantial but perhaps their production costs were just too high.

So it could mean we will have a third incarnation of TVonics later this year. Here's hoping.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Guess who just received their DTR-HV250 today ?

I bought the box purely because of the great support that TVONICS were providing and the comments in this thread.

Now that the administrator is in control I think the forum members should make sure that the earlier versions of software are available for download.

I checked the website and currently I can only find

V1.2.A1409.D245 and V2.0.A2225.D369

The version I have on my "new" box is
    V1.2.A1803.D326 however I am loathed to update to V2.0.A2225.D369 as I believe there is a problem with recording conflicts.

As I cannot download V1.2.A1803.D326, upgrading to V2.0.A2225.D369 would be a one way process hence my request for us to create a library for backup.

Some of you must have kept copies (assuming we cannot find it on the tvonics website), which we should try and make available to others for the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NEWLINEtv wrote: »
    I think leicsmark is right Clem, the story of TVonics in administration hasn't even been picked up by any of the newspapers or news channels, at least not that I am aware of.

I have made contact with the administrator to try to find out what is going, any reply I get I'll post here, (if they allow me).

I really hope that I'm proved wrong, both for TVonics owners everywhere and for the people that work for the company. Now is definitely not a good time to loose your job. That all said, given the company's history perhaps this is one receivership too far. Time will tell, of course.

Clem
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    msatt wrote: »

I bought the box purely because of the great support that TVONICS were providing and the comments in this thread.

Now that the administrator is in control I think the forum members should make sure that the earlier versions of software are available for download.

V1.2.A1803.D326 however I am loathed to update to V2.0.A2225.D369 as I believe there is a problem with recording conflicts.

As I cannot download V1.2.A1803.D326, upgrading to V2.0.A2225.D369 would be a one way process hence my request for us to create a library for backup.

Some of you must have kept copies (assuming we cannot find it on the tvonics website), which we should try and make available to others for the future.

I have copies of the last few iterations of HD500 firmware. I have access to a website and can post them there at some point, along with any other TVonics firmware that people might have. Let's wait and see what happens first though.

Clem
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    leicsmark wrote: »
    Is it possible to downgrade? Where can the previous firmwares be downloaded and how would you force the box to install them?

I also don't think the brand is tarnished, most people won't realise they have gone into administration, it's only been a week and a half.

From memory (it'll be in these pages somewhere) the box looks for the .bin file on the USB stick and loads it, regardless of the version it happens to contain which should make downgrades as simple as upgrades. I've never done it though (plus my memory is rubbish so I might have just made that up)! Also there was a transitionary point where going from a certain version meant stepping up through an intermediary version and I have no idea what would happen going the other way (not that I can see anyone wanting to go back that far).

Personally I have not hit this conflict issue - maybe through luck, maybe because I choose to record the first occurance of a show and let the box direct me on conflict which I believe gets over the problem. Either way I'm happy to stay at a version that presumably has the least other issues.

For the record, on the DTR-Z500HD I have at least:
    V1.1.A1206.D193.F98
    V1.2.A1591.D290.F100
    V1.2.A1742.D320.F100
    V1.2.A1803.D326.F100
    and the iplayer beta (which would be pointless installing) but have no idea of the legal implications of distributing them.. It's possible the others may be accessible if you know where to look but ... we don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is also the possibility that if it is the end for the company and that the software/hardware isn't sold on (to Pace or whoever), that the previous developers release unofficial software for the boxes. They were undoubtedly proud of what they'd made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For backup of my system, could I ask someone to be kind enough to let me have a copy of V1.2.A1803.D326 for the HV250 (via pm).

I installed the box yesterday and so far I am pleased with its functionality. I set-up a series timer for a program which was currently showing. The program recorded and then picked up the +1 program as I started the recording late -most impressed.

Only initial criticism is the dull red colour showing a recording in the epg - I have to highlight the entry so that it can be read easily.

Also not sure if I should return the box (bought from ebuyer at £85). I suspect they will be selling the boxes off at lower prices due to the status of TVonics.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the company may be in admin but i have to say since receiving my DTR-Z500HD and putting the latest firmware on it the other week it has performed impeccably, even iPlayer looks great on it.

As i have said elsewhere the box as it stands even without the prospect of further support is still worthy of a purchase.

After owning a Philips HDT8520 the TVonics is a revelation.
  • Options
    DougDoug Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    I say there is no harm in buying a current PVR. The HV250, Z500HD and HD500 all share the same common software base and near identical hardware which is now quite mature. At £85 the HV250 is a bargain in my view for the quality of product you get.

They are certified Freeview / Freeview HD compliant so in theory all this should mean they are built to be reasonably future proof.

If you buy any other product on the market today you have no assurance it will be maintained or updated in the future. The problem with buying TVonics now is to be aware of is the support, warranty and repair services will not be there unless the company is suitably rescued.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The warranty is with the retailer not the manufacturer providing you dont buy direct from TVonics so look on the bright side, you buy a TVonics box and in 11 months it goes tits up and you get your money back or replacement of equivalent specification.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    msatt wrote: »

Please see Message #1473

I understand you are lothe to upgrade to V2.0.A2225.D369 but there are so many assets to this software: I manage my recordings just fine with this only two months old software on my DTR-HV250. #

It is so reliable, I've not kept copies of previous USB software updates: I can't see any fun in having copies of software for the DTR HV-250 that don't have the latest features, to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Please see Message #1473

I understand you are lothe to upgrade to V2.0.A2225.D369 but there are so many assets to this software: I manage my recordings just fine with this only two months old software on my DTR-HV250. #

It is so reliable, I've not kept copies of previous USB software updates: I can't see any fun in having copies of software for the DTR HV-250 that don't have the latest features, to be honest.

I understand what you are saying Sue :)
    I bought the HV-250 to replace a vestel T835 which was a decent box however vestel updated the s/w and completely screwed things up. There is an old version of s/w and I like the idea of being able to 'revert to backup' should problems be found in the future. Vestel are still sending updates (with the faulty software) which seems as though they want to destroy everyones boxes.

For all we know there could be issues with future changes of Freeview effecting current software so having previous versions is sensible should the worst happen.

Could I ask once again if anyone else has a copy of V1.2.A1803.D326 this is purely for backup prior to me upgrading to V2.0.A2225.D369

I still feel that we as a community should try and create a site where previous versions of the software are available. I am happy to host it if necessary. Alternatively we could make the files available on here?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    tvonics wrote: »
    Hi,

There are one or two reports of a similar problem to this dotted through this thread .. all have eventually been traced to a problem with the HDMI connection and most have been resolved by changing the cable.

Tim

Hello, I have now swapped both the cable, and the port into which the cable connects, at the TV.

The cable and connection to which I swapped was previously servicing a PS3, which has never had a single sound blip.

The sound blips are still, unfortunately, happening; more on the HD channels than on other channels, but on other channels nevertheless. The blips occur when playing back recordings, and when watching live TV. If I rewind after a blip, I do not always get a blip in the same place.

What do you suggest?

It is really annoying, and means that I do not use the tvonics anywhere near as much as if it did not keep blipping out.

Edit: Just read the administration news.

Oh dear.

I wonder if they will let us have the software for us to amend ourselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So far, the administrator has not yet got back in contact with me :(.

Here is hoping for Tim to come back to DS to bring us an "un"official software update to fix the remaining bugs, fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Odd kind of administration this. Silence could be a sign of negotiation and confidentiality agreements? Wishful thinking perhaps.