Options

Can I force my '3' phone to used 2G backup?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,894
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a 3G Nokia 6288 on three and I have terrible reception (sometimes no bars at all) in the house. Oddly, step outside the house and its brilliant.

The other day I did a manual network search and found a few other networks including a '3' 2G network as well as the '3' 3G network. When I select to the 2G network, it connected and the signal was excellent.. however once I've made a call and finished is seems to then default back to the 3G network. I don't really use may features that require 3G so would be happy if it stayed on the 2G. Is there some way to force it to use 3's 2G backup network permanently?

Comments

• Options
    Tenacious PeeTenacious Pee Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the network menu or you phone you should be able to choose between automatic and manual select network, choose manual and save this change.

then choose the network you want, and that should be it, unless 3 has disabled the manual network option menu
  • Options
    paulbeattie87paulbeattie87 Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redcoat wrote: »
    The "3" 2G network is likely to be Orange's 2G coverage, or in some cases it might still be linked to O2.

3's firmware on their phones allows a manual selection but will search for their "home" signal at regular intervals and if it finds it will long back on to that.

That is correct it states o2 and orange as 3 networks. Word of caution though the two 3 phones I have tried setting to manual network selection don't work and within 30 seconds of changing it is already trying to get back onto the 3g network.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debrand your three phone and use the generic firmware

Then you can use the gsm only setting without any of this 30 second nonsence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Redcoat wrote: »
    Have been thinking of doing that but I'd be wondering if I'd then end up losing out on some of the X-Series features.

What kind of features?