Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• Chris2010ukChris2010uk Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hi

I'm currently on a 1 month £12.90 rolling contract with Three, and was thinking about switching to a 12 month contract on the one plan as I have heard they'll be raising the price to £20 or £25 again soon.

Firstly, I assume I can just do this over the phone without needing to port out to diff network Pay and Go and then come back?

My main question though is that on their site, it doesn't seem to mention anything about the tethering, which I always assumed was part of the plan?
    http://store.three.co.uk/SIM_Only/Voice_Pay_Monthly

I was wondering if anyone can confirm if it definitely still includes tethering? I'll ask them anyway on the phone, but won't be able to until tonight as I'm at work at the mo.

Cheers!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

I'm currently on a 1 month £12.90 rolling contract with Three, and was thinking about switching to a 12 month contract on the one plan as I have heard they'll be raising the price to £20 or £25 again soon.

Firstly, I assume I can just do this over the phone without needing to port out to diff network Pay and Go and then come back?

My main question though is that on their site, it doesn't seem to mention anything about the tethering, which I always assumed was part of the plan?

I was wondering if anyone can confirm if it definitely still includes tethering? I'll ask them anyway on the phone, but won't be able to until tonight as I'm at work at the mo.

Cheers!

Hi Chris,

The one plan either 12 month contract or 30 day rolling does include tethering still 100%.

All you do is call customer services and they can change your plan over the phone and put you on the 12 month plan they will read you the terms and conditions then send you a text message shortly after confirming the price plan keeping the same number you don't need to port as your on three already they just change the contract.Give it a hour log on to my three and it will show the new plan your on.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Cheers!

I made the same move yesterday from 1 month £12.90 rolling contract to 12 month One Plan and it was mentioned twice that tethering is included (without me actually asking about it).
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    I made the same move yesterday from 1 month £12.90 rolling contract to 12 month One Plan and it was mentioned twice that tethering is included (without me actually asking about it).

I did the same thing last month. I was told in the 3 shop that the change would take place at my next billing date, however I received a message almost immediately confirming I'd switched plans. The next day we had a broadband outage at home so I tried using tethering and it worked.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I received the text message during call. Only thing that confused me slightly is that I was told my new allowance would be added on Tuesday (my normal billing date). But it sounded like the One Plan would be activated straight away, which is confirmed on My3. So not sure if I am already allowed to teather or not. But I think I can just wait till tomorrow ;-)
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    tarzion wrote: »
    I got full H+ signal on my Note 2 near London Bridge station but the speeds I am getting are below 0.25mb and also I get a lot of network communication errors.

It's not that the singal is 1 bar or something.

Dat Ultrafast!!!! :D

Tbh bars don't mean much on a phone. Because it's london it sounds like congestion to me. But you can follow it up if you want through CS by giving them the location and asking them to investigate.
    IkariM wrote: »
    The utter failure of Three to provision the so called promised 4G to its real world paying customers is rather disappointing. It's now 2014 and the customer service rep I have just spoken to just told me not to expect 4G on my account until 2015.:o

Maybe he meant your area won't get 4G till 2015? Because what he's said is completely wrong haha.
    jonmorris wrote: »
    unless it was part of a planned move to a new billing system that is taking place at the same time.

This happened/happening. But the cloning tariffs thing isn't quite whats happening.
    Hi

Cheers!

The One Plan allows tethering according to the terms and conditions.
    Tethering is included in (i) The One Plan; (ii) the One Plan SIM only; or (iii) By purchasing an Ultimate Internet Plan with the Tethering Add on.

http://www.three.co.uk/Privacy_Cookies/Terms_Conditions?site=d&content_aid=1220469566802
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Tbh bars don't mean much on a phone. Because it's london it sounds like congestion to me. But you can follow it up if you want through CS by giving them the location and asking them to investigate.

I did this last week for Shepherds Bush, and they rang me back a couple of times and confirmed that it was down to congestion. They told me my local mast is being upgraded and should be working properly on February 15th.

After having been let down for 4G in December and January 16th turning out to be an erroneous start date, I'm now setting my expectations in one month periods. Hopefully 4G will be active by mid February, but if I can at least have a decent 3G signal in my house, that would keep me going.

3G has been terrific for me whenever I've been out of town, so anything vaguely similar in London would be welcome.
  • Chris2010ukChris2010uk Posts: 3
    Forum Member

Okay thanks for the help guys

How does the billing work? If you're transferred instantly do you just pay £15 for that month even if you're at the end or do you get billed on the next one + a small percentage?
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay thanks for the help guys

How does the billing work? If you're transferred instantly do you just pay £15 for that month even if you're at the end or do you get billed on the next one + a small percentage?

I think your next bill will still be charged at £12.90 and then your new price plan starts on the next bill.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so what's annoying me about all this is the staff members on the blog constantly lying to customers.

Just be up front and admit that its currently going through a trial and it'll be available when its ready, that for me is good enough, but to read what they are posting being a complete lie is frustrating, they're not even approving any of my posts!
    Forum Member
    so what's annoying me about all this is the staff members on the blog constantly lying to customers.

Just be up front and admit that its currently going through a trial and it'll be available when its ready, that for me is good enough, but to read what they are posting being a complete lie is frustrating, they're not even approving any of my posts!

Last time I read the blog they seem to be trying to get that message across? What exactly are they lying about?

Three's communication in general (to do with 4G) has been very poor and people are still being told different things all the time via customer service depts on the phone and in store. The social media teams via twitter and the blog seem to be posting the correct information as of now.
  • bikerladbikerlad Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today's Three phone rep told me that 38000 people now have 4G in London and every day more people are being added and I could receive the text today, tomorrow or anytime up to the end of March. I'll apparently get a text with a link for a software download for my phone to enable me to connect.

Hmmm. :(
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Yeah I heard about the maintenance couple of days back. Three seem to be doing a lot to there billing system at the moment. I normally use the app more than My3 if I am honest but it is good to know everything can be worked out,

The app goes down too when My3 is offline.

Apparently tethering is allowed as some sort of gesture of goodwill and that Three aren't contractually obliged to provide tethering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bikerlad wrote: »
    Today's Three phone rep told me that 38000 people now have 4G in London and every day more people are being added and I could receive the text today, tomorrow or anytime up to the end of March. I'll apparently get a text with a link for a software download for my phone to enable me to connect.

Hmmm. :(

If 38000 people where enabled in london i am sure we would of heard about it by tech news websites and twitter etc i think the person that told you that is mistaken.
  • WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    Apparently tethering is allowed as some sort of gesture of goodwill and that Three aren't contractually obliged to provide tethering.

That can't be true?
    The allowance of tethering is specified in the T&C's you agree to when you sign up for a "one plan" contact, and so forms part of that contract.
  • bikerladbikerlad Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If 38000 people where enabled in london i am sure we would of heard about it by tech news websites and twitter etc i think the person that told you that is mistaken.

Exactly. I don't think we've had one report of a normal user being enabled so far. Three are consistently giving out incorrect information.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member

Every time my phone bleeps, I look at it in hope in case it's the update. It's like waiting for Christmas but without having a clue what the current date is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McTeagle wrote: »
    Every time my phone bleeps, I look at it in hope in case it's the update. It's like waiting for Christmas but without having a clue what the current date is.

I have to admit i am doing the same LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. I don't think we've had one report of a normal user being enabled so far. Three are consistently giving out incorrect information.

Yeah i know its whats making things worse being told one thing by one person then different the next.If they were all saying the same the wait wouldn't be as bad for people.
  • goldenfacegoldenface Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many people on here are on 3UK and have been 4G activated?

They did say that they wanted everyone activated by mid-February.
    Forum Member
    goldenface wrote: »
    How many people on here are on 3UK and have been 4G activated?

No one yet. (apart from the people on the trial).

Once people are activated, this thread will explode.

Btw I just noticed that Qsadfdsaq has been banned again! :D
  • Kal ElKal El Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Btw I just noticed that Qsadfdsaq has been banned again! :D

Now for a couple more and we can get back on topic ;-)
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank goodness for that, at least we can have a sensible discussion now.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    ^^That. :)
    Forum Member
    An interesting article here-
    A new report has found that some mobile operators offering superfast 4G data services in Europe are failing to earn extra revenue, compared to operators in South Korea and the US.

According to the GSM Association (GSMA), which represents the interests of mobile operators all over the world, operators in Europe are struggling to raise prices for 4G, unlike their counterparts in Asia and the US, who have been riding the consumer wave of exploding demand for data.

Europe was actually the first continent in the world to launch a high-speed 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) mobile data network in 2009, however it has fallen behind other parts of the globe when it comes to 4G coverage and market maturity.

Extra income

In the UK, Three became the last of the four mobile operators to turn on its 4G network last month. While the operator is the only one offering 4G for free to its customers without needing them to migrate from their existing 3G contracts, its rivals EE, Vodafone and O2 aren't making much extra income.

EE had the head start in the UK, launching its services first in October 2012, but only saw an increase of "nearly 10%" average revenue per user (ARPU) from customers upgrading to 4G by June 2013.

When looking at the total blended ARPU in the months ending July to September 2013, EE found that there had only been a rise of 0.5% from the same period in 2012, which equates to just £19-per-customer over three months.

Vodafone and O2, whose 4G networks were only switched on in August 2013, have yet to release figures related to how much additional revenue they have made, although Vodafone reports that the average monthly data usage for all of its 4G users combined throughout Europe is now 640MB, twice the amount used by smartphones on 3G contracts.

Our friends in South Korea are using on average over 2.5GB per month on 4G at the moment. That's more than double this time last year. South Korean networks, which have 100% 4G population coverage, have seen a new phenomenon whereby data-hungry subscribers in the country prefer to use 4G rather than free Wi-Fi networks as they feel that 4G provides a faster, more consistent service, the report states.

South Korean operators are making between 32-40% more than their blended ARPU, with many new and upgrading 4G customers willingly opting for higher-priced monthly tariffs.
This discussion has been closed.