Report: The Apple Watch Will Only Last 2.5 Hours With "Heavy" Use

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    John Lewis isn't really the sort of place you go to for high end watches. Normally you would go to the likes of Goldsmiths or some other high end Jeweller that is an authorised Dealer of the iconic brands like Breitling, Rolex, Omega etc.

Starting at £299, the Apple Watch Sport is not exactly high end.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I'm trying out a LG Watch R right now.

It's good for what it is, but pretty cheap feeling and a plastic screen and back. It also has a very cheap feeling leather strap( albeit it can be swapped for something of higher quality). I'm not knocking it for what it is but it's a million miles from being a premium feeling product. I't something akin to an old cheap Casio in terms of build.

It's laughable for example compared to a decent Swiss watch in quality.

I've no comment yet on the Apple watch but I would expect it to have a much better build quality than the LG.

Ahhhh. The old "it will be better quality even though I've never seen, touched or used one" argument :)

Can't argue with that logic :p

I have an lg watch r. IMHO its better built than the original pebble, and I prefer the look to the moto 360. Its still an early generation version. The newer lg's look a few steps ahead.

IMHO (and it's obviously subjective) the apple watches look dated before they have even been released. I guess that's the risk with such a big lag between announcement and release.

But style and fashion is very individual.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If buying one in aluminium I really suggest buying the white/silver one.

Some of the ugliest looking smartphones I have ever seen have been black iPhones that are maybe only gently scratched yet have loads of dye removed to show the bare aluminium.

That major flaw in the use of cheap aluminium is why Macbooks are traditionally white.
    It is near enough the only colour that will hide scratches by matching that below dye colour.

It is the compete reverse of plastic. My very very old 17" laptop has some of its silver plastic keyboard surround worn through where the wrist rests leaving the under plastic showing, which happens to be black.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    If buying one in aluminium I really suggest buying the white/silver one.

Some of the ugliest looking smartphones I have ever seen have been black iPhones that are maybe only gently scratched yet have loads of dye removed to show the bare aluminium.

That major flaw in the use of cheap aluminium is why Macbooks are traditionally white.
    It is near enough the only colour that will hide scratches by matching that below dye colour.

It is the compete reverse of plastic. My very very old 17" laptop has some of its silver plastic keyboard surround worn through where the wrist rests leaving the under plastic showing, which happens to be black.

The White sport band will get absolutely filthy I will never buy a watch with a white strap ever again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is just a rubber type band, wont it simply go in the wash ?
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First reviews show no issues with battery:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/08/apple-watch-battery-life-reviews/

Reviews also saying it's "lightyears" better than any other smart watch but they still doubt it will take off as a product. We'll see.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First reviews show no issues with battery:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/08/apple-watch-battery-life-reviews/

Reviews also saying it's "lightyears" better than any other smart watch but they still doubt it will take off as a product. We'll see.
    Put an apple logo on it and some people will literally buy anything.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put an apple logo on it and some people will literally buy anything.

What label do you have on your shoes?

I'm going to get one, and if I don't like it within 14 days, it's going back. I thank that's a sensible approach.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard the term bulbous used which I'm not too keen on in relation to a watch.
    But then I'm not going to buy one anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sitting here like a saddo with my credit card beside me waiting for the next 1 and 1/2 hours to pass so I can place an order for a 42mm Space Gray Apple Watch Sport. Its a birthday treat and I need cheering up.
  • Options
    denzil28denzil28 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sitting here like a saddo with my credit card beside me waiting for the next 1 and 1/2 hours to pass so I can place an order for a 42mm Space Gray Apple Watch Sport. Its a birthday treat and I need cheering up.

Did you get one? There was pretty limited stock for the launch day window, and even then they won't state you'll get it on 24th ust some time by 8th May!!

Pretty much all options were up to 4-6 weeks before despatch after about 20 minutes of going live. Edition models wer all May from the start and the black sport and stainless steel were saying June almost from the start.

This is either way more popular than expected, or they have so little stock that the 24th April release date was just so they could say they did launch 'early 2015' even though they aren't truly ready.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denzil28 wrote: »
    Did you get one? There was pretty limited stock for the launch day window, and even then they won't state you'll get it on 24th ust some time by 8th May!!

Pretty much all options were up to 4-6 weeks before despatch after about 20 minutes of going live. Edition models wer all May from the start and the black sport and stainless steel were saying June almost from the start.

This is either way more popular than expected, or they have so little stock that the 24th April release date was just so they could say they did launch 'early 2015' even though they aren't truly ready.

I got one eventually but the website was a nightmare so I gave up and used the app. My watch isn't coming till June which is fine it's not too long away really. I could have got another colour sooner but space gray was the only one I wanted. I could have got an normal apple watch but I hate metal straps as they get scratched to bits.
  • Options
    denzil28denzil28 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got one eventually but the website was a nightmare so I gave up and used the app. My watch isn't coming till June which is fine it's not too long away really. I could have got another colour sooner but space gray was the only one I wanted. I could have got an normal apple watch but I hate metal straps as they get scratched to bits.

So you've gone for space grey sport then?

Not sure what you mean by 'normal apple watch' as they don't all come with a metal strap, there is plenty of leather and rubber straps to choose from. Plus the metal straps are the most expensive in that range too, with the space grey stainless steel also not shipping until June anyway.

Luckily, I just wanted the stainless with the black sport strap as I plan to see what thrid party straps come on the market rather than paying £130 minimum for Apples own options (or £80 extra minimum when bought with the watch). I knew the store app would be up and running first as it always is and already had the one I wanted saved in my favourites so didn't have to waste time navigating through the store. Took about 20 seconds to buy after the store was live. Still says shipping between 24th and 8th though!!

At least I don't have to wait 4-6 weeks or even longer!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denzil28 wrote: »
    So you've gone for space grey sport then?

Not sure what you mean by 'normal apple watch' as they don't all come with a metal strap, there is plenty of leather and rubber straps to choose from. Plus the metal straps are the most expensive in that range too, with the space grey stainless steel also not shipping until June anyway.

Luckily, I just wanted the stainless with the black sport strap as I plan to see what thrid party straps come on the market rather than paying £130 minimum for Apples own options (or £80 extra minimum when bought with the watch). I knew the store app would be up and running first as it always is and already had the one I wanted saved in my favourites so didn't have to waste time navigating through the store. Took about 20 seconds to buy after the store was live. Still says shipping between 24th and 8th though!!

At least I don't have to wait 4-6 weeks or even longer!!

I've cancelled my order for the Space Gray Sport I had a try on appointment yesterday and it looked cheap like a kids toy. I'm going for a silver sport the milanese loop now. I don't like shiny stainless steel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone actually seeing these things as jewellery had maybe best try out the alternatives before parting with all their cash.

John Lewis has a good selection, including ones exclusive to them.
    Bizarrely O2 has an exclusive an a Motorola Gold. Bizarre, because you can't make calls with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Anyone actually seeing these things as jewellery had maybe best try out the alternatives before parting with all their cash.

John Lewis has a good selection, including ones exclusive to them.
    Bizarrely O2 has an exclusive an a Motorola Gold. Bizarre, because you can't make calls with it.

I genuinely don't think any of the android wear watches are as good as the Apple watch but android wear is supposed to be getting an iOS app so it will give Apple iPhone users more choice.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    I genuinely don't think any of the android wear watches are as good as the Apple watch but android wear is supposed to be getting an iOS app so it will give Apple iPhone users more choice.

Depends how you define "as good as" really. Android has watches that last longer, have always on screens, can store more music and, in many peoples opinion, look a lot better.

But choice is good so if wear goes on to iOS then it can only be a good thing :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Cross felt the watch should have been reasonably tough, tough enough to last 10 days.
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/welshman-sues-apple-over-crack-in-apple-watch-screen-wins-2016-2

It also seems Apple have now removed the advertising phrase 'impact resistant' to help ensure further customer warranty claims stay invalid.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And he wants another one. He was probably just switching channels too aggressively.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds a certainty for pub quiz trivia.

Something like 'What was the name of the guy who irked Apple enough for them to remove the Apple Watch 'impact resistant screen' claim on their UK web site.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nice to see that he did not let himself be bullied by the big boys. It was like David and Goliath all over again :D