Options

Wha benefits do stainless steel pots and pans over non-stick?

yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Am I right in thinking the only benefit is that with stainless steel you can use metal utensils (forks, etc) and not worry about scratching off the coating inside the pan?

Comments

• Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, they'll last you forever, unlike the tefal ones, which last approx 2 years if you take good care of them, because sooner or later, the lining comes off

Stainless Steel also conducts heat in a more even manner
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to a Caribbean cooking lesson and while cooking the curry with my teacher, she showed me that with a stainless steel pot you get these nice little bits of crusty deliciousness that you can keep stirring back into the curry. You don't get those tasty bits with non stick.

Personally I just cannot get on with non non stick because the dishes I cook in non non stick get ruined. I tend to cook low fat dishes so I find non stick essential.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Non-stick pans are metal pans sprayed with clever plastic. It wears off and there's nothing you can do to replace it. That's like having to knock down a house because you can't repaint the walls.

Pans cost a lot less than a house, so many people are happy to throw out a pan that has nothing wrong other than its coating worn off. Others see the waste, and prefer to just clean them properly with a scourer after use so that they last a lifetime.
  • Options
    BlueZane00BlueZane00 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Stainless steel is much better for making sauces and/or gravies. Those little bits that stick to the surface have good flavour and you don't really get that with non-stick.

A big benefit (for me) is how stainless steel can be used to sear or brown meat and fish. Non-stick pans typically aren't supposed to be heated to the temperatures required.

As mentioned above, stainless steel should last a lifetime if properly cared for so in the long run they're good value for money.

If you want stainless steel cookware, especially pots and frying pans, invest in the ones that have a copper or aluminium core as these are better at conducting heat.

When using stainless steel for shallow frying, heat the pan till it's hot, let it cool just a little, and then add your oil. This will stop food from sticking so much.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have had a set of stainless steel pans (not the cheapest or the most expensive, I collected them a pan at a time each time I went to BHS) they are in quite good condition after 25 years of use.

Over that time I have had many many sets of non stick from the cheapest to the most expensive and the longest any have lasted is 3 years.

For me that says it all.

Also they can be put in the oven at any temperature and under the grill too.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to a Caribbean cooking lesson and while cooking the curry with my teacher, she showed me that with a stainless steel pot you get these nice little bits of crusty deliciousness that you can keep stirring back into the curry. You don't get those tasty bits with non stick.
    Why, what happens to them?
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually looking to buy some pots so thanks to this thread I know a bit more about pots.

I shall invest in stainless steel pots. :)

Thank you all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually looking to buy some pots so thanks to this thread I know a bit more about pots.

I shall invest in stainless steel pots. :)

Thank you all.
    Blimey!
    You're a salesman's dream.

I have Raymond Blanc Anolon non stick saucepans and a Ceracraft Regis "stone" frying pan. The Ceracraft is seriously good. Tonight I cooked chopped onions and diced bacon ready for a savoury rice dish tomorrow - just a tiny splash of oil and afterward the pan is wipe clean with kitchen roll.
    I do have stainless steel sauté pans but they do need extra effort in cleaning as food tends to caramelise and you have to stir more often.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't find food sticks that much in stainless steel pots, you just have to pay attention and keep stirring! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I don't find food sticks that much in stainless steel pots, you just have to pay attention and keep stirring! :D

I agree and they have the bonus that if you do have an accident they can be scrubbed clean too, we have hard water here boiling veg causes a line of limescale around pans, with the stainless steel a limescale remover takes it off same stuff removes non stick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey!

I have Raymond Blanc Anolon non stick saucepans and a Ceracraft Regis "stone" frying pan. The Ceracraft is seriously good. Tonight I cooked chopped onions and diced bacon ready for a savoury rice dish tomorrow - just a tiny splash of oil and afterward the pan is wipe clean with kitchen roll.
    I do have stainless steel sauté pans but they do need extra effort in cleaning as food tends to caramelise and you have to stir more often.

I will invest if you can come back in 30 years and show me your ceracraft are still as good as they are today.
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey!

Not at all, I actually need a big a*s stock pot.
    molliepops wrote: »
    I will invest if you can come back in 30 years and show me your ceracraft are still as good as they are today.

He needs to first learn how to cook.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    The non stick chemical coating has been linked to cancer etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I would but dementia will no doubt be the referee on that one.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not at all, I actually need a big a*s stock pot.
    How many Oxo cubes do you use?
    I make stock in a non-stick saucepan.
    Never thrown a chicken carcass away.
    He needs to first learn how to cook.
    No contest :cool:
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My non-stick pans are way older than 3 years and the coating is still fine. Maybe it depends on what you use them for and how you look after them. I did ruin a non-stick frying pan due to forgetting about it for a few hours. I continued using it for another 10 years but it wasn't as good.