What happened to Christina Aguilera?

SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
Forum Member
Her career has been on a downward spiral ever since Back to Basics.

Bionic peaked at #1 in the U.K. (it had the lowest debut sales for a #1 album in eight years), but it still hasn’t sold enough copies in order to be certified gold. It peaked at #3 in the U.S. and has sold 330,000 copies to date. Lotus peaked at #28 in the U.K and hasn’t even sold 20,000 copies to date. It peaked at #7 in the U.S. and has sold 290,000 copies to date.

Her last solo #1 single in the U.K was Beautiful in 2002. Her last solo #1 single in the U.S. was back in 2000 with Come on Over Baby (All I Want Is You). Lady Marmalade was a big #1 hit in 2001, but Christina wasn't the only reason for its success. She was obviously a bigger star than Lil' Kim, Mýa and Pink in 2001 (Pink is much, much bigger now), but they all played a part in the success of the song. Moves Like Jagger wasn't really a hit because of Christina. Any other female singer could have sung her small part with the same effect. Same goes for Feel This Moment. Say Something returned her to the top 10 but she shared the success with A Great Big World.

Did Perez Hilton really wield enough power to turn people off Christina’s music? Did her bad attitude catch up with her? Was her material not good enough? What do you think happened? Will she make comeback?

Comments

• Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    Her bad attitude put me off. Just like Rihanna.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her songs aren't that good, her voice is just unrestrained caterwauling and her time has passed.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know but her attitude might be a reason. I think 'Your Body' is one of the best pop songs of the decade though and I'm amazed it didn't do better in the charts.
  • cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether her fans like it or not, she is, and always will be, compared to Britney. Whilst Christina, undeniably, has the better voice, her songs post 'Stripped' are ten-a-penny. Britney doesn't have the voice but she tends to set pop trends rather than follow current trends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Same as Britney she hasn't released anything decent in a long time. Stripped was my favourite album for 2003.
  • LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I don't know but her attitude might be a reason. I think 'Your Body' is one of the best pop songs of the decade though and I'm amazed it didn't do better in the charts.

Me too, if someone like Rihanna released that it would've been a big hit. I don't know if promotion would have helped but she didn't perform it once.

I still love Christina, I listen to Lotus a lot but I think it was a bit safe for her. She's doing a lot better with duets and her TV career these days but I'd like to see a comeback with her solo stuff.

I don't know where it went wrong, a lot of fans blame her movie Burlesque. It pushed back the release of Bionic and she ended up re-recording a lot of it and it wasn't the album it was originally intended to be. She also went through a divorce at the time which couldn't have helped her enthusiasm.

I will stay also, as much as I'm a fan she isn't the most likeable person. I hate comparing to Britney but she's very likeable and people want to see her succeed which has undoubtably helped her maintain her popularity. Plus no matter how much time passes Britney will always be the one who came first, Christina second. That stays with people.
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bionic had a disastrous campaign from the start to finish. Not to mention it should have been released in 2008 and not 2010. It was a little too late, her last album before that was released in 2006. People just lost interest.
  • PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are u starting all these threads about all these female singers?
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Flopina flopped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Xtincta
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She got fat ?
    Forum Member
    She got fat ?

If that's any part of the reason then shame on her fans.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's quite simple really, her music after Back to Basics has been very poor. I know her bad attitude is often cited as a reason, but if her music was still good enough people would still be buying it regardless. Her music's just been very poor for a very long time now.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was in this 2010 film on TV last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3APrqTKtcA
    Forum Member
    I think it's quite simple really, her music after Back to Basics has been very poor. I know her bad attitude is often cited as a reason, but if her music was still good enough people would still be buying it regardless. Her music's just been very poor for a very long time now.

Well that's completely subjective. Your Body was a perfect single choice. I love a lot of her songs after B2B.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's all down to opinion. I think Bionic is a great album and is far better than it's ever been given credit for, and Lotus has some of my favourite Christina tracks on - Blank Page, Cease Fire, Best Of Me, Just A Fool, Light Up The Sky, Red Hot Kinda Love, Empty Words and Your Body.

What happened to her? Nothing out of the ordinary. She took time out to get married and have a child, then when she came back, things had changed. The hate campaigns from certain celebrity bloggers didn't help matters. But her focus has clearly shifted now. She's a mother of two children, but she still has a very successful career in TV and music, even if her record sales aren't like they used to be.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She got fat ?

That was the exact answer in my head when I read the thread title. :blush:
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bionic is my favourite Christina album and the Burlesque songs she did were outstanding.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Christina is currently doing a guest role in the TV series 'Nashville'.
  • MichellerlzMichellerlz Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last I heard of her she was shouting at Mickey mouse in Disney world saying "do you know who I am" and expecting preferential treatment.
    Sounds like she has a bit of a bad attitude, that might be where she is going wrong.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2889888/Christina-Aguilera-brands-Mickey-Mouse-le-Disney-park-failing-picture-him.html
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sixteen years is a long time, tastes have changed
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a whole number of reasons but basically she took too much of a hiatus between Back To Basics and Bionic and people lost interest and moved on.
    But to make matters worse, she got fat and became a figure of ridicule with the likes of Perez leading the attacks....I remember that "Xtina has her period while singing at Etta James' funeral service!" and other headlines that looked to damage her credibility.
    But fair play to her as she has carved out a successful career for herself on The Voice and has captured some chart success again too with some high profile collaborations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I truly think her career start to spiral down the moment she released NMT which has gotten comparison to Lady Gaga Bad Romance, espcially video. And her going to fully pop.. Her voice is not suited for that. She is really great when it come to stripped down song, but then again, she is not trained which explain the cracks and no control over her vocal.

Oh, and yes, her attitude , too.