[Game] The Mix Factor 3: Live Show #3

Comments

• unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morten Benjamin: This is the first week where I really feel like you’re at your best Morten. I sort of felt like you were going around in circles under the guidance of Lyriccs but Soppyfan has really found a direction that works for you, it wasn’t the most innovative song choice considering how open this theme was but it worked well for you. It was a simple song choice, done well and it worked for you. I really hope that you stay in the competition because for me, you’re probably the best wildcard remaining at this point; it was a fantastic opening performance.

Samantha Jade: I wasn't a massive fan of this I'm afraid Sami. I feel like it was all a little bit theatrical for my liking and I feel like your tone was a little lost in the song, I love Florence And The Machines but not so much for you and I feel like whereas you're probably the act I think from your category I enjoy the most IRL, I haven't loved you this week or last week in this show, it wasn't bad but at the same time, it wasn't stand-out either, a little bit disappointing.

Danielle Penning: Thank god your mentor toned it down this week, last week was bizarre, it was utter cheese to the point where I felt like I was watching the female counterpart of Christopher Maloney performing. This week was a slightly predictable song choice, I mean Alicia Keys’ bluesy tone is a good match for you but the song is only just out, it was a really safe song choice but you did a good job with it. I don’t know Danielle, you’re talented but I think you’re probably one of the middle of the road acts so far; you haven’t stood out, still waiting on that knock-out performance Danielle.

Daniel Vengsgaard: You’re sort of going the opposite way to most of the other acts at the moment Daniel, everyone else seems to be getting better each week whereas I feel like you’re getting slightly weaker with each week sadly. It wasn’t a terrible performance but it was really unremarkable, you didn’t stand out, you just did an okay vocal performance of a decent song. I love your voice but for me, you’re just there, you had a great week in the first live show but last week and this week, you’ve been just okay, I know that Jack knows what he is doing with you, I don’t worry about that at all and I think you will continue to perform well but I feel like your last two song choices have been good but not exceptional. You need to get back up there Daniel.

Nathaniel Willemse: Sorry Nathaniel but that was utterly boring, it just reminded me of you as a wedding singer, there was nothing remotely unique about that performance, I could walk into any jazz bar or anywhere that there are a number of soul singers performing and hear the exact same style of performance. I think the problem with you is that I feel like your mentor has been a bit too safe with your songs so far, I really liked last week but this week, I think you were given a really weak song choice, there is no denying that vocally it was good but it just sort of faded away from my memory as soon as it was over, I don’t think the song choice was strong enough. For me, you need to stand out because as a general rule, soul singers suffer the most from the ‘predictable/generic’ comments and this did you no favours. Sorry Nathaniel, I wasn’t a fan of that. I’d love to see you doing an edgier urban track by someone like Bryn Christopher or Kristian Leontiou.

Phuong And Rasmus: I decided to take a risk with you guys this week and go for something a bit more downbeat, still staying faithful to your indie-pop routes. I loved the simplicity of the song, it was just you two singing and singing with pure heart. What appeals to me about you two as a duo so much is the sincerity with which you perform, there is nothing remotely forced about your performances, you’re just a fun indie-pop duo who sing melodic, songs. I decided I would show that you’re capable of doing songs that are more about the vocals than the energy but I tried to choose something with an indie-pop vibe also and this was just perfect, both of you were amazing and your harmonies were effortless as always. I so hope the audience enjoyed it as much as I did you two!
  • EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mixed comments for both acts, but luckily for them the judges don't decide who's in the bottom 3 by themselves.

Let's do another two acts at once, here's both the third of the overs and the third of the wildcards for you:

Chiara Galiazzo - 'Me Over You' by Lucia
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xGrNhTDlDY&list=PLEFACEE48401F8A59&index=14&feature=plpp_video

Jesper - 'Not Over You' by Gavin DeGraw (Max Schneider Cover)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKR_1vh5Jw0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,313
    Forum Member
    Chiara

Chiara, I think this was a very smart song choice from your mentor as it was so suited to your vocal style tonight. Personally I didn’t like the song itself but you gave a really good performance. Each week I feel that you are growing in confidence and as your confidence grows your voice gets stronger and your able to capture the audience so much easier. Good job, well done.

Jesper

Now Jesper I thought this was a lot better than last week. You have a unique voice, and I love it when we get to hear you stripped back with your voice doing the fighting rather than you fighting with the track. I hope we can continue to hear your rocky voice tackling more songs like this.
  • jackel1234jackel1234 Posts: 5,218
    Forum Member
    Chiara Galiazzo

Last week people said they wanted to see you put emotion in the song and by lord you did fantastic! You just nailed it! Brilliant

Jesper

This is probably your strongest performance to date for me. You and Max have similar voices and styles of singing and it did work in favour for you. I still stand by my statement that I want you to have a more pop indie vibe with you but this was your best so far for me. Nice choice by your mentor.

Got to eat be back soon :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chiara Galiazzo
    Chiara, that was incredibly beautiful and a great song choice. The piano playing you did on stage was also a lovely touch as it added to like I was watching a concert-like performance. I am really impressed with how your mentor is guiding you as he is doing a great job with so you so far, well done.

Jesper
    Jesper, last week the other mentors said that they wanted to see something more of a high-standard. And for me and this audience, that was absolutely stunning, my boy! The calm version of this upbeat song was just so right for you and I know that it's only going to get better for us as we go far in the competition. Fantastic work, Jesper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chiara Galazzio: Chiara, you're probably the Over who has made the least impression on me so far, you have been a tad forgettable for my liking but wow, did Jack pick the perfect time to let you step out of your shell. That was amazing, I loved the feel of the song and your sweet vocals were incredible, yes it was probably a little bit dull but overall, it was an incredible song choice. I can see why Gabrielle Aplin was chosen for you last week as I see a comparison between her and Lucia but I think maybe the feel of the performance felt a little more suited to you, whatever it was, this was an amazing comeback, well done!

Jesper: Hmm, I wasn't sure about this when I saw it as Gavin De Graw is 100% a country singer but the cover wasn't country, it was more pop, I thought it was quite good but for me, whilst I did like it, I think there is a slight rasp to your voice and I felt like this was more edging towards R & B almost as opposed to pop-rock, I enjoyed it but I didn't fully love it however for me Jesper, you're still doing well enough each week to justify your place in the competition, I think as the show goes on, you do need to have a stand out performance because already I can see people shaping up as favourites for the crown and at the moment, you aren't quite one of them. Good performance overall!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Positive comments for both acts, but there's no guarantee that they will be safe tonight unless you vote for them!

Let's double up one last time. Singing their Three Words songs, here are:

Angel Tupai - 'Its My Life' by Bon Jovi (slow version)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAy9HEfR1dA
    Note: Imagine this with Angel's female vocal.

Audio Vixen: Hung To Dry (James Levy And The Blood Red Rose)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Vs5hXFzSc
    Note: I've decided to go for something a bit folky, it has quite a psychadelic folk feel and would allow each of the singers to show off their vocals as well as harmonizing beautifully as they always do.
    All (Harmonising): I left you hung for dry
    Left to die
    Left to die

Die, Die, Die, Die, Die, Die

Christina: I left you out for dead
    Let it be said
    Let it be said
    I'm so sorry

Ria: If you need some time
    We can meet upon Monday, oh
    All (Harmonising):Monday

Ross: If you consider me
    Some sort of enemy
    I understand
    But, I am just a man

Ria: Oh, it would be unwise
    To take stands on that side
    A declaration of the end

Ross: You say I've hell to pay
    Ria: That's what you say
    All (Harmonising): I've hell to pay
    Anyway that's what you say

Ria: I left you out for dead
    Let it be said
    Christina and Ria: (Harmonising)
    Let it be said
    I'm so sorry

Ross: I've been all over town
    Trying to find you
    Because I hear you're mad
    Oh, I hear you're mad

Ria: Still nowhere to be found
    Your phone is dead
    And it makes me feel bad
    But, I don't feel that bad

Christina: If you consider me
    Some sort of enemy
    A declaration of the end

All (Harmonising): I left you hung to dry
    Left to die
    Left to die

Die, Die, Die, Die, Die, Die, Die,

I left you out for dead
    Let it be said
    Let it be said
    I'm so sorry
    Forum Member
    Angel

Angel for me you have one of the most amazing voices in the competition. During the last show you gave an amazing performance but Kev wanted us to go out of the box with our song choice and I feel that this week I went out of the box and gave you an incredible song to sing this week. I am just in awe of how stunningly beautiful you are and your voice just melts my heart. I hope everyone will give you their support so I can continue to work with you and develop your talent.

Audio Vixen

I absolutely love this group and the dynamics you bring to the competition. Kev I think this song was a pretty good choice for these guys tonight. Your vocals were completely on point tonight and the harmonies are amazing guys. I love you and all I ask is that you keep working hard and show us brilliance every week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angel Tupai: Angel, you know what, I 100% see what bboy was aiming to achieve with that performance and I actually enjoyed it a lot! I imagine this having the same grit and edge to it as ‘Dirty Diana’ which you performed on the show and it was one of my favourite performances of yours. Obviously I would have liked to see your mentor finding you a female cover of the song but I am aware that this isn’t always possible, I’m only too conscious of the fact when trying to split male and female vocals for my groups. My comments last week weren’t meant to completely steer you away from doing soul songs, that is where your strengths lie and I would still like to see you singing those style of songs but obviously less predictable choices but this was a great choice. Well done!

Audio Vixen: Guys, last week the others said that they wanted to see you three all getting equal chance to sing during a song so I decided to find a song with a nice mix of male vocals for Ross and female vocals for Christina and Ria. I decided to go down a more folk route purely because this has the almost rockabilly feel I envisaged for you three at the start, there was something a little bit quirky about that song that just made me fall in love with it for you three and I thought you pulled it off so well, it's refreshing to see what a difference one song choice can make to you as a group because I thought your harmonies sounded so much clearer and individually, you all stood out. Keep up the good work guys!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Angel Tupai
    For me Angel, when it comes to Bon Jovi, their songs should never be touched...except for you. Rock may not be what you're used to but I think that after tonight, you may well be the front-runner as that was totally beautiful and brilliant. Fantastic performance, Angel.

Audio Vixen
    Guys, I think you were very lucky to avoid the sing-off last week because it was a bit disappointing. This week however, that was a lot better than before. The song choice and the style is what you should be working towards as I think that this could be your niche. We'll wait and see if you'll get the votes again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great comments for both acts, their respective mentors must be very pleased!

Let's take it slow again. He's been in the sing-off before, and definitely doesn't want to be there tonight, he's the last of the over 25s: it's the amazing Vino Alan singing 'In Loving Memory' by Alter Bridge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCp-dHjUCvc&list=PLC6A6E366D32F327D&index=30&feature=plpp_video
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vino Alan

Jack, you are on FIRE with these song choices. Vino, I saved you because I was waiting for you to come out and sing like you were a rock-star and tonight, I finally got to see that. This song and the way you sung and performed it was combined into what was definitely your best performance so far. Keep it going Vino, because you can be amazing!
    Forum Member
    Vino

Well well well Vino, this was definitely not the usual style of song your mentor has been giving you thus far, and I have to be honest I thought was your best performance to date. I loved being able to just sit back and listen to your voice. Emotionally you seemed to really connect with that song and I thought you did an awesome song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vino Alan: Hmm, this is maybe where we reach a sticking point Vino, last week I voiced concerns that it felt like you were abandoning the soul element of your voice completely which is something I think is important for you to still embrace slightly and for me, this sounded quite similar to the Nickelback track that you performed on the show itself and didn't work out well and I felt like it was a little bit of an old-fashioned middle of the road rock song, it wasn't bad but then again, I don't think it was exactly great either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty decent comments for Vino there, and the audience seemed to love it as well. He still needs the votes though!

Next up, with an unusual song choice, it's Jade Ellis singing 'The Only Exception' by Paramore
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIXUSSZFwV4
    Forum Member
    Jade

Jade, you have such a rich tone to your voice and I love trying to find songs that will bring out the beautifulness of your voice. We decided tonight that we would strip the performance back and allow your voice to be the star of the show without the big backing track that you had last time. I think you did a fantastic job tonight and hope everyone will agree and vote to keep you in the competition as I really want you to gain a following so that we can start to really push the boundaries with your voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jade Ellis

Jade, I am really impressed with the risk your mentor took with you as your voice is perfect for smooth and soul-ballad songs, but I really like how you are willing to take risks as that's what it's all about. To me, that was actually a great choice ad a great performance from you. I really enjoyed that one tonight, Jade, well done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jade Ellis: Sorry but unusual is not the word. Totally random and bizarre is the word! I don't get this at all, you aren't in any way remotely similar to Haley Williams, bboy was getting it absolutely perfect for you until now, he literally couldn't have chosen anything better suited to you last week or the week before but this was utterly random, first of all the song itself is a bit dull and definitely not one of Paramore's best but secondly, you are no more a pop-rock singer than I'm a fortune teller, it was such an unsuitable song for you and it will be such a shame if you go tonight after making one stumble because you literally didn't put a foot wrong in the last two weeks and now this. Sorry Jade but I hated it :(
    Forum Member
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Jade Ellis: Sorry but unusual is not the word. Totally random and bizarre is the word! I don't get this at all, you aren't in any way remotely similar to Haley Williams, bboy was getting it absolutely perfect for you until now, he literally couldn't have chosen anything better suited to you last week or the week before but this was utterly random, first of all the song itself is a bit dull and definitely not one of Paramore's best but secondly, you are no more a pop-rock singer than I'm a fortune teller, it was such an unsuitable song for you and it will be such a shame if you go tonight after making one stumble because you literally didn't put a foot wrong in the last two weeks and now this. Sorry Jade but I hated it :(

Ouch lol. Kev I love the fact you dont hold back lol :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to be honest, I do hope she stays because last week she was impeccable but I just thought it was such a bizarre choice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good comments from two of the judges, but a really negative comment from Kev there. Will Jade convince enough of our voters to make it through?

It's time for our penultimate act already. She's from the wildcards category and she's singing 'Tug Of War' by Carly Rae Jepsen, it's Sumera Espinel!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp5XumbPEmE
    Forum Member
    unclekevo wrote: »
    I have to be honest, I do hope she stays because last week she was impeccable but I just thought it was such a bizarre choice

No I am willing to take all criticism and appreciate constructive criticism. I wanted to take a risk and I hope it doesnt blow up in my face
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bboy1988 wrote: »
    Ouch lol. Kev I love the fact you dont hold back lol :p

He's right on track to become this series' April! ;)

Jokes aside, I like it when judges just throw it out there, it makes the show as a whole better.
    Forum Member
    Sumera

Sumera, I thought this was a ok performance. I liked the performance from the last show but tonight it wasn’t a stand out performance. I fear that in a couple of minutes I will forget the performance which means when it comes to the voting I wont be able to rank this performance highly. Sorry Sumera.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sumera Espinel: I wasn't sure about this when I saw the artist, I just associate her with bubblegum pop but this is one of her more bluesy songs, there is a definite bluesy element to Carly's voice on this song and I thought that you did a great job with it Sumera. I wasn't sure what Soppyfan was aiming to do with you last week when he gave you an almost indie-folk cover of a Pixie Lott track but this was much better for you, I really liked it, congrats Sumera, a triumph!