Anybody got Android L (OTA) on their pre 2014 Nexus device yet ?

Comments

• pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Just factory reset my Nexus 7 (2012).

Has made note one iota of difference. Its still needs to be restarted every time I use it. Freezes all the time. Certainly is a brick now. So disappointed. Wont be buying an Android device again. Too many issues.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously Pixel, as it is mainly yours doing it then it is certainly broken in some way.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 5.1 I thought Yipee!!! It's working again..... then over the days it got slower and slower and sloooooower.

Sorry but with massive disappointment it's back in it's box. What a huge waste of money.

And yes, I have factory reset, cleared caches, taken the dog for a walk, moved the fridge etc etc. but sorry, I just don't have the time for all this fiddling. Need a device that works.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Obviously Pixel, as it is mainly yours doing it then it is certainly broken in some way.

Mine does the same .
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, install a version you trust.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 5.1 I thought Yipee!!! It's working again..... then over the days it got slower and slower and sloooooower.

Sorry but with massive disappointment it's back in it's box. What a huge waste of money.

And yes, I have factory reset, cleared caches, taken the dog for a walk, moved the fridge etc etc. but sorry, I just don't have the time for all this fiddling. Need a device that works.

Hmmm - 5.1 arrived on my 2012 N7 3G last night and my initial reacton was that it was back to normal - very speedy indeed - , but I'll have to give it a few days to see if it only a temporary reprieve or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Hmmm - 5.1 arrived on my 2012 N7 3G last night and my initial reacton was that it was back to normal - very speedy indeed - , but I'll have to give it a few days to see if it only a temporary reprieve or not.

Exactly. Mine zipped along when 5.1 arrived but it just got slower and slower over the days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Well, install a version you trust.

I trusted the version that Google sent to my Google Nexus. Are you saying I did the wrong thing ?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

24 hours later and it is still running fine but I will monitor it over the next few days and report back.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just received a notification for the Android 5.1 update on my Nexus 7 Wi-Fi (2013).

Has anyone else received this on theirs? If so, have you downloaded and what's it been like so far?

I think i may hold off on downloading for the time being.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does 5.1 install directly over 4.4.4?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    Does 5.1 install directly over 4.4.4?

No. You need to go to 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 depending on your device.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds a bit like installing an update which could well brick the device then waiting an indeterminate time for another update that might - or might not - unbrick it. I remain sceptical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Took the plunge and downloaded Android 5.1 on my Nexus 7 2013 Wi-Fi. Took ages to download and at one point i was worried something terrible had happened to my tablet, but it all went smoothly. Didn't brick.

Didn't notice any major differences, but glad to have 5.1 update anyway. Hopefully all the bugs have been fixed now.

Reading the tech press it seems there's a new Android 5.1.1 coming soon too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Nexus 7 (2013) is being discontinued by Google. Google won't be selling it anymore although you can probably buy it from other retailers but soon they'll be none left.

http://www.gsmarena.com/the_asus_nexus_7_2013_tablet_has_been_discontinued-news-12037.php
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    The Nexus 7 (2013) is being discontinued by Google. Google won't be selling it anymore although you can probably buy it from other retailers but soon they'll be none left.

http://www.gsmarena.com/the_asus_nexus_7_2013_tablet_has_been_discontinued-news-12037.php

You will be reliant on e bay or amazon if you want one. I've got a 2013 one, and it still works brilliantly. Glad I never installed 5 and its successors. Would probably have bricked it.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    You will be reliant on e bay or amazon if you want one. I've got a 2013 one, and it still works brilliantly. Glad I never installed 5 and its successors. Would probably have bricked it.

Oh wise one. Shame others here haven't learned that valuable lesson!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

My 201 3 version seems fine with Lollipop , it's the 2012 version that is now a pain to use but it started to slow down well before Lollipop .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Think I'm going to be rolling back my 2012 Nexus. There's nothing wrong with the device, just the software on it! Never done it before, but I've found a very simple tutorial that works with Ubuntu to flash factory images. I've downloaded 4.4.4, but I'm even considering going further back to Jellybean 4.3. I'll hang on for now though as 5.1.1 is supposed to be coming soon with some memory leak fixes. I'll at least give it a good go before swapping it out.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I've taken the plunge and sideloaded 5.1.1 on the 2012 wifi version, at least it isn't bricked and I am set up to go back to a 4.3/4.4 ROM if this is no improvement.
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a particularly hard time on Android 5.1, I've downgraded back to 4.4.4 on my N7 2012.

Not missing anything really except a different UI. The speed, responsiveness and customisability are all there that weren't on Lollipop. Which leads me to believe that it's a software issue, not the hardware.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeicY wrote: »
    After a particularly hard time on Android 5.1, I've downgraded back to 4.4.4 on my N7 2012.

Not missing anything really except a different UI. The speed, responsiveness and customisability are all there that weren't on Lollipop. Which leads me to believe that it's a software issue, not the hardware.

Is it difficult to do ? My 2012 Nexus is pretty much a fancy paperweight at the moment .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    MeicY wrote: »

Please let us know how it goes. I'll be very curious to hear if you do notice the difference long term. I too believe it's a software issue, but I'm still not sure it's an Android thing and not a rogue app somewhere.

Does everyone here have Firefox installed on their tablets? I have recently removed it and am noticing a quicker boot. Not just once but the last few times I've rebooted. No more "system process not responding" messages after log in either. I'm just trying to find the apps that could be potentially causing the issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My N7 2013 WiFi is doing brilliantly under 5.1, absolutely no problems whatsoever. By the end of this month 5.1.1 should be out with even more bug fixes.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    len112 wrote: »
    Is it difficult to do ? My 2012 Nexus is pretty much a fancy paperweight at the moment .
    Backup before you start.
    I think the simplest way is to use

Wugfresh - http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

You can get factory images from

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

look for nakasi

Backup everything you can before you start, then you need to Flash stock + unroot button.
    You get prompted if there is something missing or if you need to perform some additional steps.
    Getting the pc and device to communicate can be a stumbling block, but normally ticking or unticking Media device or Camera from
    Settings -> Storage -> (3 dots) USB computer connection sorts it.

Backup before you start.