Tab S 10.5. The "Tilt" problem & Screen Burn

carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was very keen on this until I read about two unforeseen issues.

I saw claims that the 10.5 has a problem of tilting on its axis when placed on your lap. I didn't understand it at first - then I managed to try one out in a shop where the handset wasn't secured to the store display table.

It's really noticeable that you can't simply lie back as if you were in bed or lounging on the sofa with the tablet in your lap without it tilting towards the charger input side. I suspect that there is slightly more internal electronics physically located on that side which due to the minimal weight of the device has a disproportionate effect. The device is amazing in many ways, but this really is annoying.

None of the reviews etc pick this up - probably because they are overly concened with stats and specs and not the real world use of these devices. For example they very often review the tablet used flat on a table or suchlike - but who in the real world uses a device like this most of the time?

Has anyone who's also experienced this managed to come up with a solution? Does a case help? (NB It is not an issue reported by 8.4 users - presumably the shape prevents this - so only 10.5 users need comment!)

I've also become aware of users reporting problems of screen burn and brightness deterioration with Super Amoled/Amoled screens of the Tab S type. Does anyone have any advice or experiences to share? I'm not someone who anticipates changing every year or two and so reasonable longevity is important to me.

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had this tablet for about a month and can't say I've ever noticed this "tilt" issue. Maybe it's your lap which is lop-sided? :)

It's really hard to fault the 10.5 S at all. I'm not too keen on the Touch Wiz launcher but I soon replaced it.
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sit down - say as if you're lounging on the sofa - and prop the tablet up on your leg in the sort of raised and crossed position you have to adopt to rest it upright. You will find that the tablet falls over to the charging port side in a way that doesn't happen with my mother's heavier ipad 2. It's literally impossible to keep it level in that position.

It probably isn't an issue lying down, but I want to use a tablet lounging on the settee without having hold it all the time.
  • 42dragonfly42dragonfly Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    I've had one of these since just after they were released. Never noticed that it falls to one side, however I do have mine in a quite substantial case (non-Samsung) as I found it too-light and too-thin to feel safe using it without feeling I'm going to drop it.

I use it daily and have not noticed any screen burn - at all.

As LostFool said, it's hard to fault it at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had one of these since just after they were released. Never noticed that it falls to one side, however I do have mine in a quite substantial case (non-Samsung) as I found it too-light and too-thin to feel safe using it without feeling I'm going to drop it..

I also tend to use my in a case to protect it. The official Samsung one looked nice but I couldn't justify £50 on a piece of leather and plastic so I got a cheap one off Ebay. It does the job though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do the keyboard cases work well? I believe they operate using magnetism to hold the tab in place which seems a bit iffy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *duplicate*
  • 42dragonfly42dragonfly Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Do the keyboard cases work well? I believe they operate using magnetism to hold the tab in place which seems a bit iffy.

Never tried one for the Galaxy Tab, however some of the guys at work have Logitech ones for their iPads and they seem to like them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had mine for 4 months and it's been used a lot.

No tilt and no screen burn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As LostFool said, it's hard to fault it at all.

Lollipop arrived on my Tab S yesterday and now it's even better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Lollipop arrived on my Tab S yesterday and now it's even better.

Do you live in the UK, which model do you have? ;-)

I've beem checking to see if it's available in the UK every day, I have the 10.5 wifi only model. I was fed up of waiting as they'e rolling it out so slowly that I flashed mine with the French version and then the Hong Kong Version which is newer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    Do you live in the UK, which model do you have? ;-)

I've beem checking to see if it's available in the UK every day, I have the 10.5 wifi only model. I was fed up of waiting as they'e rolling it out so slowly that I flashed mine with the French version and then the Hong Kong Version which is newer.

Yes, I'm in the UK. My model was a "grey" import originally from Hong Hong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm in the UK. My model was a "grey" import originally from Hong Hong.
    Ahh, that could be it. ;-)

You could well have the Hong Kong Version of Lollipop.
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is ludicrous that a "flagship" model is so far behind the times when it comes to OS updates - maybe it means that when it finally makes an official UK appearance that they would have sorted out "touch wiz has stopped" errors and the like?!
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had my Tab S 10.5 for 3 months now. Mine has none of the above mentioned problems, however it still has 2 slight issues:

• Some lag when scrolling down some webpages.

• Some typing lag unless you type slowly.

• Selecting an app on the home screen sometimes results the device thinking you have swiped rather than tapped, so you end up on the next screen.

That's about it. Everything else is prefect.

I definitely recommend buying a proper Samsung Folio Bookcase cover. They do cost about £50, but once you have tried a few of those nasty clumsy ugly cheap cases, you will soon realise why you should have brought the proper case to start with. They are simply better on many levels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5hane wrote: »
    I definitely recommend buying a proper Samsung Folio Bookcase cover. They do cost about £50, but once you have tried a few of those nasty clumsy ugly cheap cases, you will soon realise why you should have brought the proper case to start with. They are simply better on many levels.

I did start with a cheap case off Ebay but it was very bulky so I recently switched to the official case and it makes the world of difference. £50 is a lot of money but if you keep an eye on Amazon, it is often available at half price. Use the Camelizer to setup an Amazon price alert: http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/camelizer

It's actually on at £27.99 now: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Folio-Book-Cover-Galaxy/dp/B00L22220G
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    it is ludicrous that a "flagship" model is so far behind the times when it comes to OS updates - maybe it means that when it finally makes an official UK appearance that they would have sorted out "touch wiz has stopped" errors and the like?!
    A later update will have a later build date.

Just flash it with the Taiwan version, it's so easy to do and it automatically selects English as the language. It's an official Samsung download, it doesn't void the warranty and you can replace it with the UK version when that arrives.
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    A later update will have a later build date.

Just flash it with the Taiwan version, it's so easy to do and it automatically selects English as the language. It's an official Samsung download, it doesn't void the warranty and you can replace it with the UK version when that arrives.

I still think it's ludicrous that we have to wait so long for a uk official copy. We shouldn't have to unofficially root
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did start with a cheap case off Ebay but it was very bulky so I recently switched to the official case and it makes the world of difference. £50 is a lot of money but if you keep an eye on Amazon, it is often available at half price. Use the Camelizer to setup an Amazon price alert: http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/camelizer

It's actually on at £27.99 now: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Folio-Book-Cover-Galaxy/dp/B00L22220G

Very good deal! My only mistake was getting the case in white.... not ideal with young sticky fingers in the home!