Now MS have revised their DRM/Used Games policy - what console will you buy?

12345679»

Comments

• 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Rumours abound that MS have approached devs asking for feedback in what improvements they would most like to see, apparently they are looking at upclocking the GPU and increasing the DDR3 Ram to 12gb in the final production console.

Beyond3D wrote:
    Apparently, the story is that MS has gone to devs for feedback on a few different things, two of them being an increased GPU clock and an increase to 12 GB of RAM (another thing on the list was storage for 'tombstoning' - I'm guessing flash cache)

Devs have to list which spec changes they prefer in order of importance. So nothing is confirmed as of yet, just options MS is getting feedback on.

However, I do have someone else telling me (also from a dev source) that we shouldn't be surprised to see 12GB of RAM in the final box and that it isn't as hard for MS to do as we think. source

Presumably it's not out of the question this late in the game due to the GPU upclock which can be done via software and it won't effect current game development, likewise with RAM and also the fact Durango devkits already come packed with 12gb as it is so maybe it's not so hard to make that kid of switch. I wonder if this will happen? It appears MS are certainly looking into it.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    A software clock speed increase may reduce reliability. Also, the addition of an extra 4gb of memory pushes the console release back until 2014, handing Sony the Christmas win by default.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was completely debunked. It used sources from before the reveal and before the specs were later confirmed.

It was rather humiliatingly debunked too on GAF, made for interesting reading it was worse than when everyone jumps on you!

You can overclock the GPU for sure but doing so has consequences. Consequences that would take a fair few weeks to run through. Additionally it doesn't change many things about the GPU. Important things like CUs and shader cores etc.

Dev kits have 12GB because 4GB is reserved for the dev tools.

Honestly, you won't want a last-minute change. That's when mistakes happen, that's when things don't get fully tested.

Based on past consoles, the consoles will be going into mass-production at the end of the month.
    Forum Member
    With Sony aiming for 16 million PS4s for release this year, they should have been making them for a good few weeks, maybe a couple of months by now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    With Sony aiming for 16 million PS4s for release this year, they should have been making them for a good few weeks, maybe a couple of months by now.
    Digi Times makes stuff up.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rumours abound that MS have approached devs asking for feedback in what improvements they would most like to see, apparently they are looking at upclocking the GPU and increasing the DDR3 Ram to 12gb in the final production console.

Presumably it's not out of the question this late in the game due to the GPU upclock which can be done via software and it won't effect current game development, likewise with RAM and also the fact Durango devkits already come packed with 12gb as it is so maybe it's not so hard to make that kid of switch. I wonder if this will happen? It appears MS are certainly looking into it.

Seriously, that is not going to happen.

Any change to the hardware (including clock speeds) will require the system to undergo close to a full QA cycle. That would add months to the release date. Added to that, the additional cost of 4Gb would bust future profit projections. I assume that MS are already running at a loss on the console so adding further loss would not sit well with the board.
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    Digi Times makes stuff up.

It's good to aim high, you know ;)
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    Seriously, that is not going to happen.

Any change to the hardware (including clock speeds) will require the system to undergo close to a full QA cycle. That would add months to the release date. Added to that, the additional cost of 4Gb would bust future profit projections. I assume that MS are already running at a loss on the console so adding further loss would not sit well with the board.

I have to agree, it's very late in the day to be changing hardware especially now price is unveiled. Getting extra speed by over clocking is a terrible idea, it will cause a lot more heat for little gain.

I also don't see why you would go with 12GB RAM, it just seems like overkill. Look how good 360 games look with only 0.5GB. Improving the GPU would be sensible (considering the PS4 is 50% more powerful) but again i think it's just to late if they want a Christmas launch.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody worried about the XboxOne and Kinnect check this out.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

Still believe in their Privacy Policies?
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    It was also mentioned on Boogie's You Tube vid the other day that MS has patened software that will allow the xbox via kinect to recognise facial expressions, when things like ads etc are shown, all very worrying
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was also mentioned on Boogie's You Tube vid the other day that MS has patened software that will allow the xbox via kinect to recognise facial expressions, when things like ads etc are shown, all very worrying

A fellow Welsh man! :)

Yes it is rather worrying especially if the XboxOne network is hacked!
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still convinced that Kinnect2.0 DEFINITELY won't be used to watch you in your living room?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    Anybody worried about the XboxOne and Kinnect check this out.

Still believe in their Privacy Policies?

My apologies sir, great minds and all that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My apologies sir, great minds and all that!

No Worries!! :D
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still convinced that Kinnect2.0 DEFINITELY won't be used to watch you in your living room?

Yep I am convinced Kinect2.0 wont be watching me... I have no plans to buy one :p
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member

NSA is only applicable to the United States.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Crap.

Whilst it is a US governmental department, it applies worldwide to anyone who is using MS services which is part of PRISM. If they can do it to US citizens they can do it to any.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, they're only looking at US nationals, of course.

The NSA has no reason at all to spy on foreign nationals.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Crap.

Whilst it is a US governmental department, it applies worldwide to anyone who is using MS services which is part of PRISM. If they can do it to US citizens they can do it to any.

PRISM actually only applies to overseas citizens using American servers, As the NSA needs a warrant issued in open court to spy on US citizens.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member

It is out of the question the console is six months from launch, it is likely already in production you cannot suddenly change the ram.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    It is out of the question the console is six months from launch, it is likely already in production you cannot suddenly change the ram.

Not even as long as that, it's only four months from launch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's incorrect.

It is actually the other way around, long before this PRISM thing.

There are laws that in most circumstances prevents them from spying on their own people, and we also have similar laws for spying on our own people and so what they do is go right Mr NSA please spy on John Smith and they'll go sure but please spy on Randy Johnson for us and then share the intelligence.

This has been public knowledge for a eons. The only 'new' thing we're learning now is that we've got confirmation they have direct access to online information.

Before we knew of PRISM it was widely assumed that it was being done anyway but under the ECHELON programme.