Now cats are spreading T.B to humans.

Comments

• Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Near enough"? When did this happen? Having worked in hospital microbiology labs in the 80s, they never mentioned it....in fact we had several cases while I worked there, and at that time I recall reading that there was an increase expected due to antibiotic resistance.
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    ch958 wrote: »
    why is the word "now" necessary - are you a tabloid headline writer?

Because'now' is a part of the English language ;so I thought I'd use it.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Meh, they're a bit faster, but I can probably still hit em.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    "Near enough"? When did this happen? Having worked in hospital microbiology labs in the 80s, they never mentioned it....in fact we had several cases while I worked there, and at that time I recall reading that there was an increase expected due to antibiotic resistance.

Never mentioned what, TB or 'near enough'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never mentioned what, TB or 'near enough'?
    There was never any mention of a possible eradication of TB (either in the lab, or in the college where I trained), and as I mentioned there were several cases while I worked there with the expectation of seeing more over the years.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    There was never any mention of a possible eradication of TB (either in the lab, or in the college where I trained), and as I mentioned there were several cases while I worked there with the expectation of seeing more over the years.

Absolutely. It's been continuously present, usually in the poorer sections of society. Recent immigrants, drug addicts and others of society's unfortunates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the confusion arises between Mycobacterium tuberculosis which was never claimed to be eradicated and Mycobacterium bovis which they thought had been eradicated

http://www.tbfreeengland.co.uk/faqs/

When did bovine TB become a problem?

TB in humans became a significant problem in Victorian England as industrialisation crowded people together in insanitary conditions in large cities.

A history of bovine TB - screenshot_170_228At this time, many of the dairy herds that were kept in and around the cities to provide fresh milk became infected with bovine tuberculosis (bTB). The milk was a potent source of infection and many people died.

A law was passed making it illegal to sell tuberculosis milk and the tuberculin test, which could identify infected cattle before they showed symptoms, was developed. It was seen to have the potential to eradicate the disease and so the Attested Herd Scheme was introduced in 1935.

By 1950, herds that tested positive for the disease were compulsory slaughtered. This scheme involved regular compulsory testing of all cattle herds and the slaughter of bTB reactors, just as happens today.

It was at the NFU Conference in 1958 that the government announced, wrongly, that TB had been eradicated.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Meh, they're a bit faster, but I can probably still hit em.

:kitty::kitty::kitty::kitty::kitty::kitty::kitty

:kitty:
    :kitty: ;-)

TB or not, I love my kitty.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chaff wrote: »
    So, the cats' plan for the Final Solution to the human question is finally revealed.

My cat mistress assures me that loyal humans, who feed her lots of Dreamies and meat stix, will be spared.:kitty:
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    himerus wrote: »
    Don't panic! Don't panic!

Mr Mannering:D
  • spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Yep! I saw this story earlier and did think that the resident cat haters here in GD would practically have an orgasm at this news.

I agree. They're that twisted. (Rolls eyes).
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Cull for cats. Good name for a song.

Hahahaha :D
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which of these did you mean, OP?

"Now cats are spreading TB to humans" - not only badgers and cattle, now it's cats.

"Now cats are spreading TB to humans" - as if we didn't have enough with [insert long litany of diseases cats haven't spread to humans], now cats are also spreading TB.
    Forum Member
    Relly wrote: »
    Which of these did you mean, OP?

"Now cats are spreading TB to humans" - not only badgers and cattle, now it's cats.

"Now cats are spreading TB to humans" - as if we didn't have enough with [insert long litany of diseases cats haven't spread to humans], now cats are also spreading TB.

A) ..
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    A) ..

Ahh good - that clarifies it a bit for me. :) I read the title the other way, as if you were a massive cat hater. As a crazy old cat lady, I was about to poke you with my virtual knitting needles. :D
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at least this makes a change from the All Dogs Must Be Muzzled threads., Next time one of those crops up, I'll just remind them of this :D:D:D
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    A) ..

Hmmmm
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Hmmmm

Why' Hmmmm'?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Dogs are better than cats anyway...
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

'In the 1800s up to 25% of deaths in Europe were attributed to TB. In the 1900s, however, improved housing, nutrition and economic status brought a decline in prevalence, which was then reduced greatly by the advent of anti-tuberculosis drugs in the 1960s.

By the 1980s, TB was considered to be almost eradicated in the UK
    . However, this is said to have changed again with the increase in travel and migration. The review suggests that the poorer socio-economic status and living conditions experienced by certain population groups have led to a gradual re-emergence of TB as a public health problem in Europe'.

NHS website and remember you said "Having worked in hospital microbiology labs in the 80s, they never mentioned it" so perhaps they kept quiet when you were there. .

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/12December/Pages/tb-tuberculosis-cases-rise-london-uk.aspx

(third of the way down page under headline 'What is the basis for the current reports?')
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd - as I mentioned earlier, there were several cases of TB when I was working in the hospital in the 80s - I identified one of them in the lab (it's quite pretty under the microscope!)....however, maybe that was a cluster rather than a general thing.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cats are catching it from Badgers, bovine T.B. is not the same as human T.B. what are all those protesting about culling badgers going to do now?
  • jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arghhh
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's never been eradicated in the UK.

No eradicated but we were all vaccinated at school if necessary, Blair stopped it to save money and that's why we have had such an increase as people are coming in to the UK from countries with high rates and passing it on. Another case of cuts actually costing more money in the long run.
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has come from one poxy vet.

He claims his kitten has it, this kitten has now gone missing, and the fact he has 3 dogs and a further 3 cats, one can assume they have not got it. I can't begin to imagine his kitten has been fighting badgers, or catching rats and mice.

It has been shown that if TB infected cattle get into the food chain, that can spread the disease.

How convenient, the badger cull was a complete balls up, and the powers in charge, think we will support continuing culls by blaming the badgers via cats.