Marvel's The Avengers (26/04/2012)

Comments

• pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Well once you bring in all the characters its not going to be a gritty film, from hulk to iron man to captain america...theres too much range to go serious.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    lordo350 wrote: »
    Norton has a bad rep in Hollywood. I remember Anthony Hopkins saying he was a prick to work with on set of Red Dragon, yet I do rate him as an actor. He did want to return, but negotiations broke down with Marvel. It certainly would have flown a hell of a lot better with Norton returning as Hulk, especially as Hulk is the film that is the least mentioned in the Marvel CU, and the only one that isn't getting its own sequel (though another worry of mine is after the spectacle of the Avengers, won't seeing Iron Man, Thor and Cap A alone again rather anticlimatic? Unless they use it to introduce Ant Man etc).That said, Ruffalo is looking good in the part.
    But seriously. Who the hell is going to see a poster for the Avengers, with Iron Man shooting things, Thor blasting things, Cap A with his shield, Black Widow looking hot (dayum does SJ look hot in this movie) Hawkeye with his bow and Samuel L Jackson looking serious, and think "oh, they've made a movie of a show that was on back in the 60s." The name change seems pointless and actually sucks. The Avengers sounds much better. One wonders what they were smoking when they made this decision.
    One word for the trailer: awesome. I think I'm even more excited for this than TDKR now!!

Legal issues in the uk?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I'm looking foward to it, love all the films that have led up to it (Iron Man 1+2, Incredible Hulk, CA: First Avenger & Thor). People who are complaining about 'Avengers Assemble' are silly, it's so people don't get confused with the 1998 movie 'The Avengers'.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    ^ Erm, given the level of promotion, trailers etc, there's surely only a very small number of people that would get this confused with the sixties Avengers and later film. But if that's a concern, it does perhaps suggest the promotion hasn't been doing its job.

btw - a friend emailed me to say it now sounds like they'll be spending the film putting together flatpack furniture. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    ^ Erm, given the level of promotion, trailers etc, there's surely only a very small number of people that would get this confused with the sixties Avengers and later film. But if that's a concern, it does perhaps suggest the promotion hasn't been doing its job.

btw - a friend emailed me to say it now sounds like they'll be spending the film putting together flatpack furniture. :)

When I mentioned it to my mum her words were " you can never beat the one in the 60's "

So it can be confused

But its also worth noting that my mum is a retard when it comes to movies haha
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    mialicious wrote: »
    Im Not liking captain americas new costume, looks a bit dodgy from what ive seen, i think they should have kept it like it was in his film.

Chris Evans said in an interview that the first costume reflected the 1940s and much more miltary in style, given the war. Whereas the costume in The Avengers reflects modern times. But I agree it doesn't look as good as the first one. :)

Here's a link to his comments. Might be some SPOILERS

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/chris-evans-on-captain-america-s-avengers-costume-change
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Stupid name, cool trailer.

Really wish they hadn't replaced Ed Norton.

I prefer Mark Ruffalo, but sort of agree for merely continuity reasons. The biggest disappointment for me is that by changing the actor playing Bruce, they have had to change the look of the Hulk to reflect a mutation of Ruffalo.
  • Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I mentioned it to my mum her words were " you can never beat the one in the 60's "

So it can be confused

But its also worth noting that my mum is a retard when it comes to movies haha

I've known a few people who would go into the city centre for a Saturday of shopping or whatever and drop into the cinema to see whats on, so it could be possible to have more elderly people think it's the old tv show re done. It was a very popular show in the 60's and 70's.

I've also been in the cinema where a couple were expecting something else to what was playing and walked out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I personally can't wait to see the film. I have thoroughly enjoyed the previous Marvel Studios films (even The Incredible Hulk which is probably my least favourite of them) so am looking forward to seeing what happens when you put all those egos together.

The name-change is a bit weird but I can see the reasons behind it. Although I agree with a previous poster who said The Avengers Initiative would have made for a stronger title.

However it goes, I'll be at my local Cineworld on opening night. :)
  • DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the overwhelming negative response to the UK name will make Marvel think again about the title? They will have time to salvage the situation and any publicity at this point will be good publicity.

I also read reports saying it looks set to become the most expensive film ever made, with a budget currently at an estimated $300m (I think it was originally estimated at $170m)
    The costume for Captain America is a disappointment.
    He now makes it all look a bit 'Power Rangers'.

I agree. I realise that Captain America is essential to the Avenger story but I think his character has made the worst transition from comic to film. Last year's Capatain America film suffered greatly because of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    The name change is awful. Once we get closer to April, promotion for this movie will be everywhere, trailers,posters,billboards, on the side of buses etc. If by that point people were still dumb enough to think this is a movie based on the 60's series then it would be their own fault. Also if these people wasn't aware this movie even existed by then, then obviously they're not the target audience and would never spend money on it anyway.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never clicked that the title had changed for the UK, despite seeing trailers with the title, Avengers Assemble in it.

I suppose it makes sense due to the 60s TV show & the rubbish film remake from the 90s.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I never clicked that the title had changed for the UK, despite seeing trailers with the title, Avengers Assemble in it.

I suppose it makes sense due to the 60s TV show & the rubbish film remake from the 90s.

There was also a pulp superhero called "the Avenger" in the 1930s
    (published by the same folk who did The Shadow and
    Doc Savage.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avenger_%28character%29

I wouldn't be surprised if the name of the pulp guy might have
    inspired the 1960s comic, given how most of the early
    comics people were fans of Doc Savage and co. :)
  • AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only recently (after being forced to) watched all of the films regarding the heroes and enjoyed them all (I think my favourite has been Thor so far) so definitely excited to see this! The most recent trailer has definitely been my favourite and I am just counting the days until April now.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Apparently The Avengers is now going to be called Avengers Assembel in the UK only. Surely this cant be so it avoids confusion with the 60's tv series or the 1998 film of the same name. Is that really the reason. The Avengers is a far better title than Avengers Assemble. Seriously do the distributors really think that people will be put off seeing it thinking John Steed is back in his first new adventure for forty years!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Avengers Initiative or simply Marvel's The Avengers would have worked if they had to change the name.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    To be honest whenever I keep hearing 'The Avengers' I get nostalgic and think about John Steed and co.
    I certainly don't think of a bunch of superheroes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    I'm more worried about the fact it seems to have been shot in 1.85 ratio instead of 2.35.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Apparently The Avengers is now going to be called Avengers Assembel in the UK only. Surely this cant be so it avoids confusion with the 60's tv series or the 1998 film of the same name. Is that really the reason. The Avengers is a far better title than Avengers Assemble. Seriously do the distributors really think that people will be put off seeing it thinking John Steed is back in his first new adventure for forty years!!

Blame it on Warner Bros Pictures, the producer of the 1998 film. Marvel Studios and Walt Disney Pics couldn't release the film under The Avengers, because Warner Bros apparently still holds the UK film rights and UK licensing rights of The Avengers including the name.
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Link for Japanese trailer below, well worth a snot since it has new bits included.....

http://special.movies.yahoo.co.jp/detail/20120315076798/
  • JayJay Posts: 244
    Administrator
    Pepper Potts will be returning too!

[news]'The Avengers' Japanese trailer confirms Gwyneth Paltrow return[/news]
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I can't believe that anyone would be able to get the film confused with a show from the 1960s, it's quite obvious from the trailers and posters what kind of film it is.

Don't under estimate the stupidity of some people - after all it seems some people actually went to the silent movie - The Artist and complained there was no dialog :rolleyes:

(but the title is still cr*p)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
  • Hitchhiker553Hitchhiker553 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fundamentally a poster that was released quite a few weeks ago, tweaked in places and gone public.

Good advert for the people who haven't kept an eye on whats been released so far.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Just over a month till we get The Avengers and I can't wait to see it!