Bait car - why do they fall for it ?

Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 814
Forum Member
✭✭
Bait car CBS Reality http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait_Car_(TV_Series)

These car thieves must be as thick as anything.

The undercover Police will leave a car with the driver door wide open and the keys in the ignition and these car thieves don't appear to wonder that there is anything strange in that.

Last year I came across a land rover within a festival crew parking area where the back door had been left ajar by mistake so I closed it and then walked on to Security to ask them to check the pass so they could alert the owner that he/she had forgotton to lock it - it never entered my head to enter the land rover nor steal the stuff that was in the back.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easy answer - they're Americans
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ericos wrote: »

Predictable answer at least. I read the opening post earlier and was tempted to get in before the sorry predictable response came from someone else. :rolleyes:
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Occam's Razor - The most likely reason for a car in that state is a negligent owner. To the thief's mind, the odds of it being a "Bait Car" are slim enough to justify the risk.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member

Do you not realise just how pathetic you look when you make posts like that?
  • LongBallPleaseLongBallPlease Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They put the cars in well known car theft areas, thieves are opportunist.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They put the cars in well known car theft areas, thieves are opportunist.

That may be true except if a area is that well known as a high crime area then I suspect the only cars with doors wide open are Bait car's so you would think they would steer clear as its so bloody obvious that its a set up.
  • LongBallPleaseLongBallPlease Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    That may be true except if a area is that well known as a high crime area then I suspect the only cars with doors wide open are Bait car's so you would think they would steer clear as its so bloody obvious that its a set up.

Do you think theives are that clever? The police don't just put a car there with the doors open, they make it look like a persons lost and is looking for help.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think theives are that clever? The police don't just put a car there with the doors open, they make it look like a persons lost and is looking for help.

not in the recent episodes - two cars drive up - they stop - one driver starts arguing with the other and then that person gets in the second car and then drives off leaving the driver door wide open to the first car.

its on tonight so check it out
  • jak frostjak frost Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Predictable answer at least. I read the opening post earlier and was tempted to get in before the sorry predictable response came from someone else. :rolleyes:
    Caldari wrote: »
    Do you not realise just how pathetic you look when you make posts like that?

Get yourselves a sense of humour. Really.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    Last year I came across a land rover within a festival crew parking area where the back door had been left ajar by mistake so I closed it and then walked on to Security to ask them to check the pass so they could alert the owner that he/she had forgotton to lock it - it never entered my head to enter the land rover nor steal the stuff that was in the back.
    Is it too late to put your name forward as a contender for the new Pope. :D
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jak frost wrote: »
    Get yourselves a sense of humour. Really.

I have but that wasn't funny and the "get a sense of humor" / "don't be over sensitive" has been done to death too.

Get yourself a sleeper account. Really.

Oh, you did already. :)
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one thing that does sort of puzzle me is that they never show the "good citizen" who takes the key out of the ignition locks the car and calls the police - surely there must have been one
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    The one thing that does sort of puzzle me is that they never show the "good citizen" who takes the key out of the ignition locks the car and calls the police - surely there must have been one

^goodness doesn't make for good tv... usually - though am surprised the prog didn't have a bit at the end where they go "and just to show not everyone is a thievychavyoik here's what some nice old gent did" and show one of your good c's doing the proper thing.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »

They showed a good citizen the other week who was telling people to leave the car alone. The police went over and thanked her.

The thing that surprises me is how many of the thieves are either black or Hispanic.

When they are white, they seem to be mostly posh lads.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    They showed a good citizen the other week who was telling people to leave the car alone. The police went over and thanked her.

The thing that surprises me is how many of the thieves are either black or Hispanic.

When they are white, they seem to be mostly posh lads.

You are aware they've probably edited it to make certain ethnic minorities (primarily Hispanics) look bad...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are aware they've probably edited it to make certain ethnic minorities (primarily Hispanics) look bad...

Not sure how they can make them look bad.

Unless they have a sign we can't see saying 'Please Take'. Then most of the people taking the cars are stealing.

If you mean they only show hispanics and blacks, when they could also have loads of white thieves they don't show, I doubt that happens.

There is definitely a higher proportion of ethnic minorities stealing the cars.

What gets me is the sense of entitlement the thieves have, its not even like they feel they are stealing half the time. It's like they think the car is left for them.
    Forum Member
    Not sure how they can make them look bad.

Unless they have a sign we can't see saying 'Please Take'. Then most of the people taking the cars are stealing.

If you mean they only show hispanics and blacks, when they could also have loads of white thieves they don't show, I doubt that happens.

There is definitely a higher proportion of ethnic minorities stealing the cars.

What gets me is the sense of entitlement the thieves have, its not even like they feel they are stealing half the time. It's like they think the car is left for them.
    That was what I meant, and it really wouldn't surprise me if that's what the producers were doing.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That could simply reflect the racial make up of the places they filmed the show. Either the cities, or neighbourhoods.

Just how the american system works, is a mystery to me. Do the police target blacks or hispanics because they commit more crimes, or do the statistics show they commit more crimes because the police target them (and are therefore more likely to arrest/charge/convct them)?
    However, one very disturbing factoid is that in New Mexico 30% of black men aged 20-35 are in prison. THIRTY PERCENT :eek: I got that from reading The Logic of Life by Tim Harford. Chapter 1 is all about the "economics" of crime - an eye-opener.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This didn't happen in America

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/oct/14/metropolitan-police-honey-trap-shop

Neither did this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3103199.stm

And there are plenty of others.

Your post is incontrovertible proof that not all imbeciles are American.

Outstanding work
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the

"I was just moving it for them." excuse. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finally showed a white couple stealing the car last night. But they were clearly white trash as both of them were meth heads.

I just hope we don't become like the US.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The targets just arent nice people and probably addicted to substances so intelligence and rational thinking goes out of the window
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They actually showed a white woman stealing the car tonight.

Unfortunately I didn't see the start of the show so I only saw them capturing her so I'm not sure what her motive was for stealing it, other than opportunity, but she came out with loads of lies when caught.

And later they showed a white father and son stealing the car. Which is a bit more balanced.
  • EnricoIVEnricoIV Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not climb on down off that pompous high horse of yours and try to hide your bigotry just a bit.
    Forum Member
    EnricoIV wrote: »
    Why not climb on down off that pompous high horse of yours and try to hide your bigotry just a bit.

Not like Americans are ever bigoted towards us is it? How about I brew you a spot of tea whilst you think it over?

You have our stereotype of us, we have our stereotype of you...