Apple set to announce iPhone 6

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i believe it to be true, apple must be cacking themselves at the fear of losing ground on samsung and htc
    They are using CPW to shift the 4 at £17 a month.

Must be the lowest ever price and a sure sign that fewer are buying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    To be honest, the only thing keeping me on iphone is how daunting it would be to have to try and pull my music collection off itunes.
    Surely copy and paste (drag and drop) is not that daunting?

And obviously it will not prevent you using iTunes for making mp3's and doing more music purchases.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, the only thing keeping me on iphone is how daunting it would be to have to try and pull my music collection off itunes. But the 5 has been so pants that if the 6 doesn’t really do something special (and I really can't see it happening) I will probably finally move away to android.

Why?

Just do what I did, install Google Music and it keeps your iTunes library in sync with Google Music in the cloud. You then have access to your entire library on all Android devices via the google music app to either stream or download, or you can download it and stream on any OS via a webbrowser totally free of charge.

Best thing is, if like me you like to use iTunes you can just continue using it like you always did.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I was talking yesterday to someone about this. someone who has ipads, iphone, mac book pro, apple tv etc. and bought an HTC one.

i agree that apple stuff works well together. and the move to android can be tricky. but there are a few points i would make:
    -part of that is that apple stuff doesn't always play nicely with others and standards.
    -it can be that you assume the way you've been doing things is the right way and it's just change that is the problem.
    -some times apple folk are not quite in the android space. like if you don't like the email client, virtual keyboard, calendar you download another one
    -if you were using google calendar, contacts, music and generally living in the android space moving to iOS would be no easier

I've had Android phones for a few years now, so I get how they work, and I use the Nexus 4 a lot. I think it's really more that there are a handful of apps that are on iOS which aren't on Android, and they're amongst my most used. The majority of the things I use are, but those last couple of hold-outs are a sticking point. The alternatives I've tried just aren't as good (and I've tried a LOT of Android Twitter clients).
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, the only thing keeping me on iphone is how daunting it would be to have to try and pull my music collection off itunes. But the 5 has been so pants that if the 6 doesn’t really do something special (and I really can't see it happening) I will probably finally move away to android.

I still use iTunes to sync my music with my Android phone as I also need it to sync my iPod Mini that I use for the gym as well and don't really want to use 2 music libraries.

All the artwork and even play lists can me synced over wireless with an app on the phone and PC.
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulker wrote: »
    I am a total fanboy and have loads of Apple hardware including an iphone 5. I just got my hands on an HTC One as I am bored with the iPhone.

The HTC One is a fantastic phone but I am already irritated after one day being out of the Apple eco system. Apple make everything work so well together. Damn you Crapple!! I want a bigger screen and an up to date OS.

Will probably be sending the One back as much as it pains me. Its stunning. Great build quality, amazing screen and SOUND. Damn you Apple... Grrrr

iOS 7 is going to be showcased this June at the WWDC. There are supposedly dramatic changes coming.

I would also bet that this year Apple will be debuting different sized iPhones at different prices, as they have always done with every other product they make.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I was talking yesterday to someone about this. someone who has ipads, iphone, mac book pro, apple tv etc. and bought an HTC one.

i agree that apple stuff works well together. and the move to android can be tricky. but there are a few points i would make:
    -part of that is that apple stuff doesn't always play nicely with others and standards.
    -it can be that you assume the way you've been doing things is the right way and it's just change that is the problem.
    -some times apple folk are not quite in the android space. like if you don't like the email client, virtual keyboard, calendar you download another one
    -if you were using google calendar, contacts, music and generally living in the android space moving to iOS would be no easier

What "standards" would those be?
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Out of interest, and given how much all high end smartphones currently do, what sort of things would you like to see that you might consider "something special"?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    What "standards" would those be?

Miracast, MHL, Micro USB, NFC,Qi charging, SD Cards, Flash, Bluetooth File Sharing... To name but a few.

There content such as Ebooks and Movies are also propriety formats as apposed to standards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Apple will never include this and even some other manufacturers are starting to move away from it.

Content of significant size, such as videos, used on mobile devices is usually Internet based. Usage patterns of most users of mobile devices are basically killing expandable storage in mobile devices. For most people there simply enough storage available on most mobile devices,
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes its very annoying Apple's reluctance to put a SD card slot in, even if its locked down to just photos, music, movies etc.

I wonder how long before the "Droidboys" come along to tell us all these things are available on Android devices?

No SD slot on HTC one. Fantastic phone though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Miracast, MHL, Micro USB, NFC,Qi charging, SD Cards, Flash, Bluetooth File Sharing... To name but a few.
    Unlikely to happen. Think of the new Monster style stuff they could expand their £39 cable range with by staying proprietary.

If they move to more open standards you will have to thank Android, and even Microsoft to an extent.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly late reply, I'd lost track of this thread! Good question though. I've possibly not phrased my comment quite right though - what I really mean is that you typically pay a premium for apple products, and I'm only prepared to do that while they offer something unique or do things better than the competition, and I can no longer really say thats the case with the iphone - I've no idea what they'd have to do to make me sit up and take notice, but they would have to do something!

I don't know that Apple products are that much more expensive than similar specced products. And when I say similarly specced, I mean in terms of build quality, and not just things like a kind of hard drive or graphics card used.

Is the iPhone much more expensive than the S4 for example?

Maybe I'm the exception, but I'm more interested in having a phone that I can see does pretty much everything I need or want it to do, rather than worry about things it doesn't do, especially if those things aren't anything I've even thought I would need.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member

True, it would be nice to go on holiday and use the camera and not worry about space though, just pop in another SD and away you go.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't wait to see iOS7. Happy with the iPhone 5 so I doubt I'll be upgrading.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    To be fair, they're virtually giving away the 16gb models, totally useless if you ask me. The guy in CPW the other day tried to get me to take a 16gb model, I pointed out the my current 32gb iPhone 4 has 22gb used on it, so straight away I'd have to ditch some stuff. Talk about going backwards.

But then how many apps etc of that 22gb do you actually use the most of and how much probably never gets used at all anymore?
    I've got a 16gb myself and find it plenty.
    I must admit that most of the music and apps I've got stored on it I hardly listen to or use very often. I do delete stuff now and then, but its not like I can't download it again if I want to use them again.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

or the Nexus 4
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    But then how many apps etc of that 22gb do you actually use the most of and how much probably never gets used at all anymore?
    I've got a 16gb myself and find it plenty.
    I must admit that most of the music and apps I've got stored on it I hardly listen to or use very often. I do delete stuff now and then, but its not like I can't download it again if I want to use them again.

That's very true, but in this day and age we shouldn't really have to worry about "space" it's like when the first home PC's came out and they had 40mb hard drives and you had to keep installing and deleting things that was the best part of 25 years ago, we should of moved on!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's very true, but in this day and age we shouldn't really have to worry about "space" it's like when the first home PC's came out and they had 40mb hard drives and you had to keep installing and deleting things that was the best part of 25 years ago, we should of moved on!

we have. it's called cloud storage :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's very true, but in this day and age we shouldn't really have to worry about "space"
    First came low capacity netbooks, then smartphones without an SD slot and then Ultrabooks/Airs.
    It works. Give less and look after future sales.

And this 'syncing' is less for our benefit. A prime intent is to encourage networks data usage.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who don't want to run up data charges there's always a SEAGATE Wireless Plus Portable Hard Drive - 1 TB at around £160.
    When you need more storage space on your smartphone or tablet you will be able to easily off-load photos and videos from your device by uploading them to your Seagate Wireless Plus Hard Drive via the Seagate app for simple and effective media management.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    we have. it's called cloud storage :)

Useless when out and about unless you have an unlimited data plan, which most of us don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Useless when out and about unless you have an unlimited data plan which most of us don't.

there in lies the down-side of the future.
    it IS the future though, we will be seeing less local storage and more cloud storage.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 500Mb a month on my iPhone.

I also have a PAYG 3 MiFi which I just top up, with a voucher, when I expect a period of heavy usage.

1Gb for £10 or 3Gb for £15, which lasts a month,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, it would be nice to go on holiday and use the camera and not worry about space though, just pop in another SD and away you go.

Why would you want to use that as your main camera when a dedicated compact camera will provide much better quality?