Options

plusnet fibre

pattycakepattycake Posts: 4,603
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I upgraded to fibre just over a week ago, and I think I have made a huge mistake. I am not getting the speeds I was expecting, I seem to be getting only 6mb when I am paying for up to 40. I can't watch a program on I player right through the streaming is dreadful.
Has anyone else had this sort of trouble.

Comments

• Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    That doesn't sound right at all! You can get those sorts of speed 9and move) on normal DSL.

Mine was a lovely 73mb when I first got it and it's still 73mb.

Phone them up and start demanding they take a look at it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    And there's always the Forum that has staff members to sort out problems. Out of curiosity, how far are you from the cabinet?
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    your profile hasn't been updated yet, it's still on the ADSL profile.
    this can be fixed pretty quickly.

report it here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/board,74.0.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    pattycake wrote: »
    I upgraded to fibre just over a week ago, and I think I have made a huge mistake. I am not getting the speeds I was expecting, I seem to be getting only 6mb when I am paying for up to 40.

PM me your account username and I'll take a look for you.

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bpullen wrote: »
    PM me your account username and I'll take a look for you.

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet

Thank you Bob , I have done so
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I upgraded to fibre just over a week ago, and I think I have made a huge mistake. I am not getting the speeds I was expecting, I seem to be getting only 6mb when I am paying for up to 40. I can't watch a program on I player right through the streaming is dreadful.
    Has anyone else had this sort of trouble.

Funny enough that you posted this as i'm also on plusnet 40mb fibre service and was suffering buffering on iplayer both yesterday and today.
    Also demand 5 struggled too but yet nowtv is perfect and netflix yours may not be a isolated issue regarding iplayer, however i do get the speeds i was told i'd get.
    If it helps when i used plusnets own router wireless it was awful constant buffering on everything, i switched to this router http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/bt-wireless-routers/tp-link-td-w8968-wireless-adsl-modem-router-n300-22068974-pdt.html and having no issues at all apart from the iplayer/demand 5. Plusnets router is a pile of <insert word here> tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Funny enough that you posted this as i'm also on plusnet 40mb fibre service and was suffering buffering on iplayer both yesterday and today.
    Also demand 5 struggled too but yet nowtv is perfect and netflix yours may not be a isolated issue regarding iplayer, however i do get the speeds i was told i'd get.
    If it helps when i used plusnets own router wireless it was awful constant buffering on everything, i switched to this router http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/bt-wireless-routers/tp-link-td-w8968-wireless-adsl-modem-router-n300-22068974-pdt.html and having no issues at all apart from the iplayer/demand 5. Plusnets router is a pile of <insert word here> tbh.

thanks, I looked at this router, but it looks like adsl and therefore not for fibre...or am I missing something!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And there's always the Forum that has staff members to sort out problems. Out of curiosity, how far are you from the cabinet?

not sure how far from the cabinet, it is at the end of our road, about 3 street lights away !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks, I looked at this router, but it looks like adsl and therefore not for fibre...or am I missing something!

It'll just plug into the open reach box you should of got when you switched to fibre, if you didn't already have a fibre router openreach would of given you a white box connected to your phone socket and plusnets router would be connected to the open reach box via ethernet.
    All i did was swap the plusnet router for the TP Link router and put in my username and password (you'd have these on your welcome letter for example it'll read something like abcdef@plusdsl.net)
    plusnets own router is better served as a paperweight lol.
    You can get fibre routers but i have no idea how much they cost.
    Or you could get this router which will be much faster than the one i got http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WDR3600-Wireless-Gigabit-300Mbps/dp/B008QBAXI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413903462&sr=8-1&keywords=TP-Link+TL-WDR3600
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the message pattycake.
    I upgraded to fibre just over a week ago, and I think I have made a huge mistake. I am not getting the speeds I was expecting, I seem to be getting only 6mb when I am paying for up to 40.
    chenks wrote: »
    your profile hasn't been updated yet, it's still on the ADSL profile.http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/board,74.0.html

There's nothing wrong with the profiling. The line is in sync at the full 80Mbps down, 20Mbps up, the BT profile is set to 77.436Mbps and our profile is configured at 40Mbps.

Are you wired to the router or are you using a wireless connection? If you're using wireless then I strongly suspect you'll get full line speed if you try plugging directly into the router.

You'd be fairly lucky, and need to have a moderately well optimised wireless environment, to benefit from the full capacity of your line whilst using wireless. Having said that, assuming you're not miles away from the router, I'd expect more than 6Mbps.

As a general rule of thumb, half the advertised wireless rate of a router and that's around the best speeds you can expect given typical conditions with little interference. The highest rate our router will connect at is 130Mbps and it will often drop back to 64Mbps depending on nearby 'noise' from other networks. At home, I get around 25-30Mbps when in the same room as the router yet around 5Mbps two floors up in the bedroom.

Try plugging a laptop directly into the router. If that gives you full line speed then you might want to consider investing in an alternative/additional router, wifi extenders or powerline adapters. Personally, I'd recommend one of the latter two.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    your profile hasn't been updated yet, it's still on the ADSL profile.
    this can be fixed pretty quickly.

report it here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/board,74.0.html

Surely that's not even possible given it is a different technology.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    Surely that's not even possible given it is a different technology.

it is possible and happens quite often.
    dip into the plusnet forums and you'll see.

you're misunderstanding what is meant by user profile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks is right.

We have a profile configured our side that operates parallel to BT Wholesale's. This is how we can provision pattycake's line on 80/20 but rate limit it back to 40/20.

Where customers are upgrading from an ADSL package the line will be artificially limited at the ADSL profile rate until the account is changed on our CRM system.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    Generally, the free routers from ISPs are crap.....they're free for a reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    Generally, the free routers from ISPs are crap.....they're free for a reason.

A friend of mine switched to Talktalk and got their new fibre router and tbh it is a great piece of kit.
    Plusnets router is technicolor which i believe is Thomson so there's your answer there Thomas are crap. I was told i'd get a Dink router but ohwell no biggie lol.
  • Options
    steve9999steve9999 Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks is right.

We have a profile configured our side that operates parallel to BT Wholesale's. This is how we can provision pattycake's line on 80/20 but rate limit it back to 40/20.

Where customers are upgrading from an ADSL package the line will be artificially limited at the ADSL profile rate until the account is changed on our CRM system.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet

Slightly OT question for you. I am with sky fibre at the moment 80/20 service but thinking about switching to Plusnet's 40/20. However i have been told if i switch to plusnet i will need a BT engineer visit to connect my line to fibre...strange! Do you know why i would need a visit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steve9999 wrote: »
    Slightly OT question for you. I am with sky fibre at the moment 80/20 service but thinking about switching to Plusnet's 40/20. However i have been told if i switch to plusnet i will need a BT engineer visit to connect my line to fibre...strange! Do you know why i would need a visit?

providing you already have a fibre faceplate and an openreach modem then you won't need an engineer visit as it's a straight migration.

however, some ISPs including sky, now only give out a combiner modem/router so if you don't already have a separate openreach modem then you would need an engineer visit to install that.
  • Options
    Forum Member

In practice, you wouldn't need an Openreach visit. I've a suspicion our systems will allude to the fact that you do at the moment though. You'd be given install dates etc. however would probably find no engineer visits on the day of migration.

What chenks says is correct too, add to that the fact I think Sky lock their routers so you can't use them on a Plusnet line. Because the process is a little disjointed at the moment, let me know if you do make the switch and I'll ensure the necessary Openreach modem etc. is sent out to you.

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet
  • Options
    steve9999steve9999 Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In practice, you wouldn't need an Openreach visit. I've a suspicion our systems will allude to the fact that you do at the moment though. You'd be given install dates etc. however would probably find no engineer visits on the day of migration.

What chenks says is correct too, add to that the fact I think Sky lock their routers so you can't use them on a Plusnet line. Because the process is a little disjointed at the moment, let me know if you do make the switch and I'll ensure the necessary Openreach modem etc. is sent out to you.

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet

Thanks for the reply. Yes i have the BT faceplate fitted ( did it myself )
    At the moment i get 75mb download and 19mb upload from my sky connection. Which costs £30 a month but i get free line rental from sky ( just took up the offer ) So i still have the option to downgrade to 40/10 ( which i was on before ) for £20 a month or move to plusnet

Reason i am thinking about plusnet is the upload speed is more important to me plus i use homeplugs and the speeds range from 44-66mb , tho i get the full upload speed from them. So i reckon plusnets 40/20 would be best for me as long as the topcashback tracked and paid:)

But the traffic management from plusnet is a concern...
  • Options
    Forum Member

It shouldn't be.

It is designed to work in your favour if you're ever saturating your downstream (by ensuring browsing etc. stays 'snappy').

You're unlikely to notice it otherwise.

If there's any specific aspect of it that you're unsure about then let me know and I'll explain what the experience is like.

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
    Plusnet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. Yes i have the BT faceplate fitted ( did it myself )
    At the moment i get 75mb download and 19mb upload from my sky connection. Which costs £30 a month but i get free line rental from sky ( just took up the offer ) So i still have the option to downgrade to 40/10 ( which i was on before ) for £20 a month or move to plusnet

Reason i am thinking about plusnet is the upload speed is more important to me plus i use homeplugs and the speeds range from 44-66mb , tho i get the full upload speed from them. So i reckon plusnets 40/20 would be best for me as long as the topcashback tracked and paid:)

I've used nearly 200gb in space of 9 days and i've never had my speed throttled. I don't normally recommend companies but i would recommend Plusnet aside from the router it's been perfect.
    I'm on the 40/20 and my speeds are constantly 39mbs download yesterday i hit 42mbs O.o i'm sure that was chrome being a tool though lol and my uploads are constantly 18.7mbs.
    Well worth £20p/m mate a big plus for me was the inclusion of evening calls as standard.
    Also i believe plusnet offer a priority service for a extra £5p/m which is ideal for gamers, but me personally i've not had to add this and i'm a heavy netflix streamer and a gamer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    I've used nearly 200gb in space of 9 days.

space??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    space??

Was supposed to read "in the space" lol this is what happens when you visit Dspy before having coffee haha.
  • Options
    FortKnoxFortKnox Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Try the ASUS DSL-N66U

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-DSL-N66U-Wireless-Modem-Router/dp/B00GORC5WO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414263210&sr=8-1&keywords=dsl-n66u

I've heard good reports about it. Its Fibre ready too. I've bought it ready for when my Plusnet Fibre goes live....2 days left :D
  • Options
    mackembloke72mackembloke72 Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    bpullen may i ask you a question please ive not long signed up for mplusnet from bt.what router will i get or is there a choice many thanks