Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Old 17-10-2014, 19:10
mjr
Forum Member

Now I really wish that site had a "play" button!
mjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-10-2014, 19:44
far
Forum Member

Now I really wish that site had a "play" button!
Oh I remember that well! It was pretty decent coverage too
far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 20:14
ariusuk
Forum Member

Would have been better if it was live... But the BBC refused to show the races live because they were "concerned about people being killed in accidents".
ariusuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 20:27
stefmeister
Forum Member

Here's something I wouldn't mind FOM doing again, Having a driver talk round a lap via the radio:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28...singapore_auto

I recall they did that a few times in 2010 but I don't recall them doing it since. Going back further on F1 Digital+ & when radio's 1st came onto the world feed in 2005, I recall them playing the radio check live over an out-lap.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28...melbourne_auto
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28...-montreal_auto

BTW regarding the CART races at Rockingham, Johnny Herbert drove some of the 1st Champcar laps round Rockingham, I found a short feature about it on one of the 67 VHS tapes full of random crap off TV, Music videos etc.... which i've now digitized.
He set the UK closed circuit lap speed record with a 198.22Mph lap average.

http://youtu.be/DSwFXc9dfOU
stefmeister is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 10:19
aberboy
Forum Member

Would have been better if it was live... But the BBC refused to show the races live because they were "concerned about people being killed in accidents".
The races weren't shown live anywhere, even in the US on ESPN. It may have had to wait until Eurosport had shown them??
aberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 12:08
solarflare
Forum Member

What were the crowds like for those Rockingham races? Anyone any idea?
solarflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 13:50
FOM Fan
Forum Member

Any reason why MSA chose to call the UK's Formula 4 series "MSA Formula" instead of say "British Formula 4". Calling it the latter establishes a clear at least psychological link with F1 (and clearly shows its approximate position on the hierarchy - roughly 3 levels down from F1), whereas calling it "MSA Formula" just sounds bland & generic & doesn't give any indication at all of where on the career ladder it is.

It really annoys me how we have these sorta generic one-and-the-other Open Wheel series around Europe, like AutoGP, World Series by Renault etc. It makes far more sense to simply, instead of using Manufacturer specific names, or generic bland names like Auto GP, to simply use names based on the country and the approximate level on the career ladder.

i.e. British Formula 3, European Formula 3, International Formula 3 for example. Stop this silly use of "Masters" in the title (to denote an international series) too.
FOM Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 15:03
solarflare
Forum Member

Any reason why MSA chose to call the UK's Formula 4 series "MSA Formula" instead of say "British Formula 4".
I'll take "vested interest" for $100, please.

------------

Anyway, I'm all for series trying hard to be good series in their own right, and not just a here-today-gone-tomorrow vehicle for people on the route to F1.
solarflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 17:13
FOM Fan
Forum Member

I'll take "vested interest" for $100, please.Anyway, I'm all for series trying hard to be good series in their own right, and not just a here-today-gone-tomorrow vehicle for people on the route to F1.
I agree, but a decent name is a good start IMO. Auto GP just sounds trashy & bland for example (MSA Formula just sounds bland). Doesn't give you any idea of how fast or what level of single seaters they are. To be honest, I thought AutoGP was motorcycle racing at first, for some reason.
Old 19-10-2014, 13:34
lettice
Forum Member

Just watching live European Le Mans Series on Motors TV at Estoril and the commentator said it was free to get in.
Big crowds there. The paddock entry was a few euros.
How on earth can the track put it on for free?
lettice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 16:07
Sheshat
Forum Member

What were the crowds like for those Rockingham races? Anyone any idea?
Hi Solarflare. I was at the opening event and first CART race at Rockingham and there was quite a decent race crowd in as I recall. We were up in the main grandstand and the sound was awful - far too loud as it sort of scooped and echoed the noise. What I remember most was that the race was shortened, perhaps due to the delayed start because of the 'weepers' (rainwater creeping up from the ground through the tarmac) and without a radio it was impossible to know what was going on. My radio-less friend didn't have a clue whilst I was frantically trying to point to the white flag waving. Needless to say the checkered fell, we both shrugged and haven't been to a race again.

Ben Edwards did the on-site radio commentary.

It was also very subdued as a result of 9/11 and Alex Zanardi's accident at Lausitz. The cars had lovely pineapple stickers on as a mark of support.
Sheshat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 16:08
eladkse
Forum Member

Just watching live European Le Mans Series on Motors TV at Estoril and the commentator said it was free to get in.
Sponsorship, corporate and concessions probably pull in enough money to balance the books. Might actually make more money than charging entry in some cases.

It's not like they have to pay a millionaire for the privilege of even having a race to start with.
eladkse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 16:36
lettice
Forum Member

Sponsorship, corporate and concessions probably pull in enough money to balance the books. Might actually make more money than charging entry in some cases.

It's not like they have to pay a millionaire for the privilege of even having a race to start with.
Or even a multi billionaire!
lettice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 19:59
ariusuk
Forum Member

The circuit doesn't.
The series promoter pays to hire the circuit and takes fees from concessions, etc.

The promoters costs are all covered by the teams' entry fees.

But most importantly if they charged, nobody would actually go, so nobody would make any money.
Old 19-10-2014, 20:29
Regis Magnae
Forum Member

Any reason why MSA chose to call the UK's Formula 4 series "MSA Formula" instead of say "British Formula 4".
Doesn't Palmer's company own the rights to name "Formula 4" and "F4" in relation to motorsport in the UK?
Regis Magnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 21:52
kriZbii
Forum Member

Doesn't Palmer's company own the rights to name "Formula 4" and "F4" in relation to motorsport in the UK?
Yeah, MSV run the BRDC Formula 4 Championship which still exists too, while MSA Formula replaces Formula Ford.

Even if the MSA were allowed to use the Formula 4 name, it's maybe better to not have two different UK series called Formula Four, having both Formula Four and Formula Ford competing was confusing enough.
kriZbii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 00:01
FOM Fan
Forum Member

Yeah, MSV run the BRDC Formula 4 Championship which still exists too, while MSA Formula replaces Formula Ford.

Even if the MSA were allowed to use the Formula 4 name, it's maybe better to not have two different UK series called Formula Four, having both Formula Four and Formula Ford competing was confusing enough.
So we have two national Formula Four series esssentially? FML. It's seriously bad PR if you have two national series of the same level competing with each other. Reminds me of the Formula Renault debacle a few years ago
Old 20-10-2014, 22:10
gd49
Forum Member

The races weren't shown live anywhere, even in the US on ESPN. It may have had to wait until Eurosport had shown them??
I thought Eurosport showed the preceding race from Eurospeedway live, how come they didn't show Rockingham?

Not that unreasonable concern given Zanardi's crash the race before and Moore's crash in 1999. Did the BBC have any live Motorsport by 2001? Must have had a change in policy a few years later when it picked up live WSBK then MotoGP.
gd49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 22:48
aberboy
Forum Member

The race in Germany was also on the Saturday; and was delayed in the US (ESPN2) and on Eurosport. ARD showed it live in Germany.

The decision to show the races on Sunday were made before the Zanardi accident; there was only 1 week between the events.
aberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:02
ariusuk
Forum Member

I thought Eurosport showed the preceding race from Eurospeedway live, how come they didn't show Rockingham?
I think they did in the rest of Europe, but in the UK had to wait until after the BBC showed it.

Not that unreasonable concern given Zanardi's crash the race before and Moore's crash in 1999. Did the BBC have any live Motorsport by 2001? Must have had a change in policy a few years later when it picked up live WSBK then MotoGP.
But making other broadcasters also not show it live is unreasonable.
The BBC had even dropped live BTCC races by then, before dropping all 4-wheeled motorsport until they got F1 back.