Channel 4 has destroyed The Simpsons

rossm2008rossm2008 Posts: 823
Forum Member
✭✭
Earlier today they showed the episode where Santa's Little Helper had to learn to behave or they would get rid of him. Two memorable-ish scenes were totally ruined.

1. When Marge shows Lisa how to sew, she burns her finger with a lighter. This was edited out yet the sound of the lighter being lit was left in.

2. PULL THE BLOODY CHAIN, BOY!!!! was edited to PULL THE BL-CHAIN BOY!!!

Disgraceful. :mad:

Comments

• cliffcollinscliffcollins Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    you bastard was cut too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite scenes from the Simpsons is from the episode "Trash of the Titans", where Homer runs for Sanitation Commissioner. Anyway so Homer goes down to the municipal building and:

Homer Simpson: [Pushes in front of a queue] I wanna register to run for sanitation commissioner. And tell the fat cats upstairs things are gonna change in this town.
    Clerk: Okay, but this is where you register as a sex offender.
    Moe: [Arriving at the back of the queue] Oh, jeez, there's always a line.

Channel 4 always edit out the line about the sex offender!! Which makes Moe coming in and saying "There's always a line" completely moronic and meaningless.

Nice one channel 4 for ruining the greatest series ever!!
  • EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the same with Scrubs, they edit innocent (Well, innocent by today's standards) stuff out but leave references to penises and stuff like that behind (obviously, because its a medicine themed show, it should be allowed to).

But to do that to the Simpsons... is, as the OP says, rape.

Bloody? BLOODY? How the hell can that be considered too extreme for kiddies in modern Britain?
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Raped is perhaps too strong, but it does seem ironic that the Channel 4 which is editing these scenes is the same Channel 4 which had naked men and women putting their goods on display at lunchtime a few weeks ago :rolleyes:
  • AbacaAbaca Posts: 2,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness for the DVD boxsets is all I can say... the only way you're guaranteed to see the episodes in their entirity.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,075
    Forum Member
    So has Quigmire

:D:D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm still surprised when the word bloody is bleeped/cut or even aplogised for.

A darts player said the word in an interview the other night and the presenter apologied and asked him to watch his language. It was then bleeped on the repeat.

I would just take the p and start talking about nose bleeds and bloody noses :D

Credit to the beeb though. Twice in live broadcasts over the last few days (Christine Bleakley on The One Show and a female Australian sprinter) the word bloody has been uttered and it wasn't apologiesed for which is a refreshing change.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This country is going all US.

Things of a sexual nature/swearing/free speech are brutally repressed by a minority of big mouths (helped by the cowards in charge) while acts of violence are becoming routine and go uncensored.

On FIVE yesterday (saturday) in the afternoon was the film "The Adventures of Huck Finn" which features a man nearly hanged near the end, quite shocking really.

I remember reading of "moral censorship" on US television in the past and feeling sorry for them all, but it has clearly arrived to these shores.

It's twisted morally as well, often making no sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Channel Four are hugely inconsistent with their Simpsons tampering. A few weeks ago, in the episode where Lisa started an independent newsletter, Willie's utterance of the phrase "I've been reviewing the new tractors - they're all shite!"* was left in (at least on Channel 4+1) on the evening broadcast. Meanwhile, as noted, lots of relatively harmless parts were cut out.

Does anyone know the rationale behind C4's scheduling of The Simpsons late on Friday nights? The episodes chosen aren't especially controversial - I'd understand if "Weekend At Burnsie's" was put out that late, but I don't think that's appeared in the slot yet.

(*Related points: The 'shite' line has, as far as I know, only ever been included once in a Sky One screening, which went out at 8.30pm. Reportedly, said Bad Word has even been removed from repeat showings in the US.)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know the rationale behind C4's scheduling of The Simpsons late on Friday nights?
    Filler.
  • Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trash of the Titans lost a chunk of dialogue near the end, makin Lisa's "I wish it really was drugs!" line meaningless.

And in "C-E-D'oh!" the opium line and Mr Burns describing Smithers enjoying life in a Turkish prison was cut.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trash of the Titans lost a chunk of dialogue near the end, makin Lisa's "I wish it really was drugs!" line meaningless.

And in "C-E-D'oh!" the opium line and Mr Burns describing Smithers enjoying life in a Turkish prison was cut.
    Have they got the editors at GOLD to do the editing?
  • InsanepersonInsaneperson Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The editing of the cartridge family (episode where Homer buys a gun) is the worst; they change the ending of the episode. Instead of Marge putting the gun into her handbag, they edit it to look like she throws it away. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before people get into a hissy fit with Channel 4 and e4... its not them whose cutting it.

You may realise that these badly cut programmes are all american... why?? Because its the US companies who cut it. They send two version, one post-watershed... and one aweful cut up and shredded pre-watershed!
  • DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    that title scared the life outta me!!
  • SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm still surprised when the word bloody is bleeped/cut or even aplogised for.

A darts player said the word in an interview the other night and the presenter apologied and asked him to watch his language. It was then bleeped on the repeat.

I would just take the p and start talking about nose bleeds and bloody noses :D

Credit to the beeb though. Twice in live broadcasts over the last few days (Christine Bleakley on The One Show and a female Australian sprinter) the word bloody has been uttered and it wasn't apologiesed for which is a refreshing change.

I was in a shop once and 'Never Be Lonely' by The Feeling was playing and 'bloody' was censored in that :eek:

Interesting that the Simpsons was cut to pieces but The Poseidon Adventure afterwards got to keep its language but then again, if it had already been cut before Channel 4 got it I guess it isn't the channel's fault.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    It isn't always the case that The Simpsons is cut by Fox before it reaches the UK broadcasters - several parts have been kept in for earlier broadcasts have been removed of late (such as "This is the line to register as a sex offender", which was intact for many Sky One showings), several parts which were once verboten since reinstated ("oh crap! I certainly shouldn't have admitted he was a customer"), and some parts that have been given a single fleeting showing in the UK (such as the bombing of 'John Bull's Fish & Chip Shop' on St Patrick's Day in the episode "Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment", kept in on a BBC2 evening screening, and not shown in the UK since).

Some of the stupidest editing was certainly done by Sky One after the death of Diana, in the episode "Rosebud", where Monty Burns' exclamation "Damn you, Paparazzo!" saw the word 'paparazzo' blanked out. The episode was left this way for a good couple of years, before it was reinstated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I noticed they cut out the part where Homer claps at the end when Santa's Little Helper passes obedience school and also the other week on the Sky One episode "The Great Money Caper" they cut out the Michael Jackson lookalike bit. Meanwhile away from The Simpsons I was watching the Goofy Movie they cut out two parts:

1. Where Principal Mazur threatens Max with the electric chair.
    2. Where Goofy opens a can of soup with his teeth.

I am fed up of this censorship now. I do however wish they would censor Ofcom :D.
  • AWESOM-O 4000AWESOM-O 4000 Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C4 and the BBC always murdered the simpsons.

Sky in the only channel that treats the program with some respect.

Shame the new ones are so bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think "rape" is the right word to use.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark X wrote: »
    (such as the bombing of 'John Bull's Fish & Chip Shop' on St Patrick's Day in the episode "Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment", kept in on a BBC2 evening screening, and not shown in the UK since).

I've seen that scene shown many times. maybe it had been cut in the past, but Channel 4 have certainly shown it, and I'm sure Sky One did as well.
  • TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rossm2008 wrote: »
    1. When Marge shows Lisa how to sew, she burns her finger with a lighter. This was edited out yet the sound of the lighter being lit was left in.

I Noticed this earlier ive been a fan of the simpsons for years and i noticed it straight away

Shame on you Channel 4 :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Sky1 edits episodes that much anymore, they just show the more adult episodes later in the evening.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 4 may have bought the edited episodes but RTÉ TWO also show The Simpsons at 6pm eevry day and not one episode has ever been edited, so the episodes such as Trash Of The Titans and many others which feature use of the word 'bastard', 'shite', 'bollocks' or 'w*nker' have been left in.

Maybe Channel 4 are doing their own edits, which, like every other show they hack, is very inconsistent and at some points just plain lazy.
  • AWESOM-O 4000AWESOM-O 4000 Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody who is a wrestling fan remembers just how horrific Channel 4 editing is....*shudders*

BASH!
    BOOM!
    SMASH!

Christ.