Eggheads

Comments

• LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    She's very sure of herself. Not liking her so far. Maybe it was first night nerves so she might calm down, hopefully.

I thought she was actually rather more modest and less full of herself than she'd been on ROTE. If she relaxes and increases her smugness, we could both be throwing things at the television!
    Forum Member
    Kevin is an extremely strong quizzer, but I reckon Pat slightly has the edge over him. Kevin has a weakness in the Food and Drink category, whereas Pat doesn't seem to have any weak categories. Also, Kevin often isn't picked for the head-to-heads so is in the final by default, but Pat usually wins his and earns his spot in the final. It's very slight, but I think it's marginally easier to trip Kevin up than Pat.

Good point about Kevin often making it through by default. They're both exceptional quizzers, and I wouldn't like to pick a winner out of them. Certainly in the World Quiz Championships, they're very closely matched - Kevin finished two places ahead this year, although Pat won the title last year!
  • DONTBANMEDONTBANME Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    New egghead woman was on today .Unfortunately I took an instant dislike to her when she was first suggested as a possible egghead when on the challenge egghead with CJ.
    She seemed full of herself then and did nothing to change this impression today.'well I have a degree in History which adds to the pressure'( Feel a fool if I lose as I'm so clever)

A pity she didn't know about the name of Iran's railway and she could have helped Eggheads win.

I wonder what period of history her degree encompasses 'The Tudors' 'Second World War?'or Roman Britain to 1950?Doubt it.

Lisa used the "before my time" excuse before getting a not too difficult question wrong. I have a feeling she's not going to anything special in quizzing terms:o
  • gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is if you apply to go on a TV quiz show as a contestant,or certainly if you have ambitions to be an egghead,you need to know a lot of things that were before your time.
    I was surprised she came up with that excuse.
    Possibly the reason I was a bit doubtful about Lisa is she seemed to get the job so easily.All the other eggheads have a quite impressive track record,except perhaps Judith,but she was the first millionaire winner.What has Lisa done except appear on a few quiz shows?
    Forum Member
    DONTBANME wrote: »
    I have a feeling she's not going to anything special in quizzing terms:o

She wasn't even the best person in her three-person team on Revenge Of The Egghead. So no, she's unlikely to be anything special.

I Notice she couldn't help giving us a story yesterday where she got one over on Anne Robinson... If somebody gave her a trumpet, I doubt it would be long before the neighbours complained about the excessive noise 16 hours a day!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would actually consider Pat to be a slightly stronger Egghead than Kevin. I appreciate that in the quiz world it's almost blasphemous to say that... Kevin is an extremely strong quizzer, but I reckon Pat slightly has the edge over him. Kevin has a weakness in the Food and Drink category, whereas Pat doesn't seem to have any weak categories. Also, Kevin often isn't picked for the head-to-heads so is in the final by default, but Pat usually wins his and earns his spot in the final. It's very slight, but I think it's marginally easier to trip Kevin up than Pat.
    Pat is good but not as good as Kevin.
    dachse wrote: »
    Watched the show today and actually caught the opening titles containing a new egghead (dark haired female). She wasn't on today's show so I googled 'new egghead' only to find absolutely nothing.
    So who is she?
    When will we see her on the team?
    How did she get chosen?
    What are her credentials for being an Egghead?
    The same credentials as CJ...None whatsoever. They just wanted another female Egghead.
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    The same credentials as CJ...None whatsoever. They just wanted another female Egghead.

All the ROTE contestants were given an audition to assess how good they were at answering questions. My guess is that the producers had decided they needed another woman to replace Daphne, and Lisa got the most questions right of all the women during the audition phase. Based on that, they decided she would be the next Egghead.

Having 'picked' her, they then put her alongside some other strong contestants to make sure that she won her heat. And Jeremy and CJ were told to keep drawing attention to her quizzing prowess. (She was probably also told to be 'feisty' and answer back on a few occasions.)

But there was no reason for Jeremy and CJ to be as impressed by her as they claimed to be. The one chap didn't get a single question wrong in the entire game, and the other person in the final was at least as competent as Lisa. I remember her getting one fairly straightforward question wrong in the opening round, and in the final round she was confused by another question which the other two jumped in to answer for her. She was good, but based on her performance in the show, she was perhaps only third best of the contestants. There was definitely a fix of sorts somewhere.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,247
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Pat is good but not as good as Kevin.

They should have got Gail Trimble if they wanted a young, female Egghead.
  • katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i love Barry's beard and think it makes him look quite distinguished
    Forum Member
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    They should have got Gail Trimble if they wanted a young, female Egghead.

She seems more interested in exploring Catullus than appearing in quizzes again. I can't believe there wasn't a better potential Egghead out there, though.
  • Sam SeedSam Seed Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Kevin is no doubt the strongest quizzer. judith is awful
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    DONTBANME wrote: »
    Lisa used the "before my time" excuse before getting a not too difficult question wrong. I have a feeling she's not going to anything special in quizzing terms:o

This was the first time, I'd seen her in operation and I wasn't impressed. At first I thought she was just an average young contestant, as they regularly use that excuse, until I remembered it was a team of Scottish men.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gawd she is so annoying. It's called Oxford. *rollseyes*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kate from the challengers has died. Which one was she, the mother?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The thing is if you apply to go on a TV quiz show as a contestant,or certainly if you have ambitions to be an egghead,you need to know a lot of things that were before your time.
    I was surprised she came up with that excuse.
    I don't watch the show any more but that excuse is an annoyance for many people who post in the quiz show threads and annoyance threads.
    Forum Member

yeah.
    Forum Member
    Gawd she is so annoying. It's called Oxford. *rollseyes*

i think shes fantastic. very confident and quite weird although i admit im slightly attracted to her
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sam Seed wrote: »
    yeah.

That's sad. The family must have given them permission to go ahead with airing the episode.
    Forum Member

That is indeed sad.
  • Mozza111Mozza111 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    This is getting ridiculous. They lose too much now. the problem with 8 eggheads is they go 3 shows without playing. They really struggle without Kevin or pat. Get rid of Dave and Lisa and leave it as Kevin, Pat, Judith, CJ, Chris and Barry. they still have a chance in winning but it's not much of a challenge these days as Kevin, pat and Barry seem to be the only decent quizzers left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mozza111 wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous. They lose too much now. the problem with 8 eggheads is they go 3 shows without playing. They really struggle without Kevin or pat. Get rid of Dave and Lisa and leave it as Kevin, Pat, Judith, CJ, Chris and Barry. they still have a chance in winning but it's not much of a challenge these days as Kevin, pat and Barry seem to be the only decent quizzers left.

Pat and Barry were on the show today and they still lost.
    Forum Member

One thing we can say is that Kevin would have known the 20 Euro Note question!
    Forum Member

I think one of the problems we're going to see a lot of is that CJ and Lisa both adore the sound of their own voice, and like to sail forth with their firmly held opinions on Life, the Universe, and Everything.. Unfortunately though, their instincts can be rather defective (clearly I'm guessing that in the case of Lisa, but the evidence is pointing that way so far..) but they can still end up being the dominant influence.

Barry and Pat have much stronger instincts, but are unwilling to impose their opinions over the louder voices. Pat, in particular, is often quite cautious about putting forwards an answer, unless he's reasonably confident about it. (It's noticeable, though, that when Kevin is struggling with a question, he often asks Pat for his thoughts - he doesn't generally do that with the others.)

Left to their own devices, Pat and Barry would probably earn the team more wins.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    All the ROTE contestants were given an audition to assess how good they were at answering questions. My guess is that the producers had decided they needed another woman to replace Daphne, and Lisa got the most questions right of all the women during the audition phase. Based on that, they decided she would be the next Egghead.

Having 'picked' her, they then put her alongside some other strong contestants to make sure that she won her heat. And Jeremy and CJ were told to keep drawing attention to her quizzing prowess. (She was probably also told to be 'feisty' and answer back on a few occasions.)

But there was no reason for Jeremy and CJ to be as impressed by her as they claimed to be. The one chap didn't get a single question wrong in the entire game, and the other person in the final was at least as competent as Lisa. I remember her getting one fairly straightforward question wrong in the opening round, and in the final round she was confused by another question which the other two jumped in to answer for her. She was good, but based on her performance in the show, she was perhaps only third best of the contestants. There was definitely a fix of sorts somewhere.

It's a reasonable assumption, but there is a flaw, emphasised by the bit in bold. Under the format of ROTE, anyone can be eliminated from the team before the final. Putting Lisa alongside other strong quizzers didn't make it any more likely that she'd get through to the final - in fact, she lost a life on the show.

I think that Jeremy and CJ were definitely aware that she was being considered from their comments, but Lisa herself wasn't, as she has said in interviews. Actually, no one said that she was the strongest quizzer either. If I remember correctly, CJ said at the start of the final that he was annoyed that he hadn't knocked out Lisa because 'she adds something to the team that the others don't' - and she did, in addition to being very knowledgable she had something to her personality that really brought something to the team. And Jeremy's comment about 'I think Lisa might be a bit of an Egghead here' wasn't said until the end of the final, I don't think, and Lisa completely owned that final. She was the one who really led the discussion about the answers - I think there was one question that she had wrong and one of the teammates corrected her, but most of the time she seemed to know most of the answers, and had the most passion and drive of the team.

I have no doubt that her personality was part of the reason that she was chosen - personally I really like her, although it seems that others don't; that's down to personal opinion - but it's not just because of that. I haven't seen her Eggheads performances yet, but on other quiz shows I've been really impressed by her, particularly Weakest Link - have you seen that one? I posted it on the previous page.
    I thought it was impressive how well she did considering that she was 21 at the time, and I liked her personality. She never voted tactically, and when she was beaten in the final she was thoroughly gracious to the winner.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sam Seed wrote: »
    Kevin is no doubt the strongest quizzer. judith is awful

Judith is gracious in defeat. Actually she doesn't give a stuff when she loses.