Options

Increased carriage charges to Scotland if it goes independent !

Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
Forum Member
How many Scots do we get on here ? In view of the upcoming referendum, are the Scots aware that carriage charges to north of the border will probably go up significantly if they become independent ? I do know what I`m talking about here because I run a business selling aerials most of which go out by carrier or post.

Carriers are notoriously keen on supplements and I reckon they`ll be only too pleased to whack one on for a semi international order.

Royal Mail are covered by the Universal Service Obligation so will send a letter or small parcel (though they did cheekily cease doing parcels deliveries last year) to any UK postcode for the same price. Somehow I don`t think they`ll be doing that after any Scottish independence......

Finally, further proof if it were needed, at the moment it costs us far more to send a parcel to Ireland than it does to Northern Ireland, thus our carriage charges to the former are far higher than to the latter. I read somewhere that it costs much more to send a letter or parcel from Northern Ireland to Ireland than it does to any where else in the UK, so surely it`ll eventually be the same to/from an independent Scotland.

Have all these pro independence voters thought about any of this ? ! ?

Comments

• Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    I for one will be building a small office straddling the border, and passing all post to one of my family in Scotland.

I have a location just north of Berwick in mind
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is just pitiful. The growing desperation of the no campaign would be funny if it weren't so sad.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Lots of things are going to get more expensive as they are currently subsidised by companies to achieve a uniform cost across the UK. When Scotland is independent this subsidy will be gone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is just pitiful. The growing desperation of the no campaign would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Can you answer my points objectively please, and less of the personalised stuff if you don`t mind. I run a business I`m primarily interested in facts, I`m certainly not "pitiful", just concerned how it`ll affect my business and my customers in Scotland. How much do you know about carriage charges......

The thing is that the Yes campaign primarily focuses on the heart, the No campaign on the head. Never the twain shall meet.
  • Options
    Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I work for one of the big parcels companies that covers the whole of the UK. The trunking network and depots already cover the whole of the UK from Plymouth to Aberdeen. Nothing is going to change in that regard if and when Scotland gets independence.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Can you answer my points objectively please, and less of the personalised stuff if you don`t mind. I run a business I`m primarily interested in facts, I`m certainly not "pitiful", just concerned how it`ll affect my business and my customers in Scotland. How much do you know about carriage charges......

The thing is that the Yes campaign primarily focuses on the heart, the No campaign on the head. Never the twain shall meet.

Everything the wee Nats don't like is immediately dismissed as a scare story. It's really quite amusing.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any letter sent between England and independent Scotland would be classified as international mail so of course it would be more expensive. Same for fixed line telephone calls and mobile rates too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I can see Royal Mail trying to get out of this one as it cannot be remotely profitable under their service agreement to cover large swathes of Scotland for the price of a first class stamp.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything the wee Nats don't like is immediately dismissed as a scare story. It's really quite amusing.
    You appear quite bitterly scathing in every thread about this, any particular reason?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on which currency you pay with, the British Pound or the devalued Scottish `Whatever`, will have to see which one the `first Minister`? decides on.>:(
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see Royal Mail trying to get out of this one as it cannot be remotely profitable under their service agreement to cover large swathes of Scotland for the price of a first class stamp.

The remote areas of Scotland account for a lot of increased costs of things, the English & Welsh will benefit not having to pay for services to remote areas but the Scottish large towns will end up subsidising the remote areas of Scotland so English & Welsh might find somethings are cheaper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see Royal Mail trying to get out of this one as it cannot be remotely profitable for their service agreement to cover large swathes of Scotland for the price of a first class stamp.

Of course they will be able to get out of it. Their universal post obligation only applies to the UK. If the Highlands and Islands were not in the UK then they could charge customers in the UK as much as they want and there is nothing the Scottish government could do about it.

The SNP want to renationalise the Royal Mail in Scotland, and presumably re-brand it, but it's unclear how that would be done and how much it would cost.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    My concerns are losing the Royal family, and also, how would we decide who the new Scottish queen is?
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    My concerns are losing the Royal family, and also, how would we decide who the new Scottish queen is?

John Barrowman? :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member

If and when the carriage charges go up (should Scotland become independent), I`d like to quote them on this....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Z Stardust wrote: »
    I work for one of the big parcels companies that covers the whole of the UK. The trunking network and depots already cover the whole of the UK from Plymouth to Aberdeen. Nothing is going to change in that regard if and when Scotland gets independence.

I`ve been dealing with carriers for years, they add on supplements at the drop of a hat....
    But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, why does it cost me so much more to send orders to Ireland than to Northern Ireland ? The actual costs to the carriers cannot be that much different, the only thing which is different is that on is in the UK and one isn`t.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Of course they will be able to get out of it. Their universal post obligation only applies to the UK. If the Highlands and Islands were not in the UK then they could charge customers in the UK as much as they want and there is nothing the Scottish government could do about it.

The SNP want to renationalise the Royal Mail in Scotland, and presumably re-brand it, but it's unclear how that would be done and how much it would cost.

It will cost a fortune as RM can do support lower pricing through sheer volume, an independent Scotland will only be collecting and delivering 10% of this mail, so it will inevitably cost significantly more and they will have massive overheads and logistical nightmares compared to how deliveries in rUK take place in the main.

You also have companies based in England, particularly those who use their own logistics, who may choose to use their commercial acumen and add on a surcharge for Scottish postcodes, much the same as they do with NI now. They won't be bothered about keeping the status quo if they can charge more than they do now.

I have a friend who runs a logistics company delivering goods heavier than 25kg that many couriers doesn't take and he doesn't go any higher up than Edinburgh/Glasgow now as it is not viable for him to send his vans half full, so he cut back his area as the overheads versus the business reward were simply not viable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If and when the carriage charges go up (should Scotland become independent), I`d like to quote them on this....

Once the costs of everything starts going up the people in Scotland will soon start complaining that is isn't fair that they have to pay more for things than those in England. Well, if you want independence, you'll have to pay for it.

I sell stuff on Ebay and Amazon. If my postal costs to Scotland go up then I will certainly charge them more just as I do for buyers in France or Ireland.

All the separatists can say is "don't worry nothing will change" and that it is all scaremongering.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For that alone, I'd give my vote to the Yes crowd if I were qualified to vote.

It truly amazes and appals me to see how condescending some anti-independence supporters are towards pro-independence supporters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why? It sounds like a reasonable point, and it is never a reasonable debating tactic to call something 'pitiful' or 'desperate' just because you don't like the sound of it. Postage to the Republic of Ireland can indeed be prohibitively expensive, as it can to anywhere outside the UK, especially if you want to send anything weighing over 2 kg.

Of course freight companies can charge what they like; but no one can deny that rural scotland is a thorn in the side of Royal Mail, and that if they were allowed to offload it onto someone else they certainly would do.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Any letter sent between England and independent Scotland would be classified as international mail so of course it would be more expensive. Same for fixed line telephone calls and mobile rates too.

Yes a mobile call from England to Scotland wouldn't be classed as a UK call anymore, would the mobile companies have to overhaul their charges to include Scotland as not part of the UK anymore? I don't really know how it all works :blush:
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And yet if it was a point that appeared to support the yes campaign you'd be calling it intelligent discussion of the issues. Now that is pitiful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »

It truly amazes and appals me to see how condescending some anti-independence supporters are towards pro-independence supporters.

But nobody is being condescending, they`re just stating the facts of the matter (as regards carriage to Ireland) and the likely results if Scotland decides to leave the Union.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm afraid in bonnie Scotland it is the polar opposite of that. The exact reverse. The yes voters are the loudest, most abusive and condescending by a very large margin.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member

Wouldn't voting because of a knee-jerk reaction to something you read online, rather than a reasoned evaluation of the facts, rather prove his point?