Options

K800i Bluetooth fault?

lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a K800i which is refusing to stay connected to my Bluetooth carkit. My old K750i works with it and so does every other bluetooth enabled phone I've tested it with over the last few days.

The problem appears to be with the K800i, it connects and then a second or two later it disconnects.

I suspect it's a fault with the K800i and have checked for new software updates, but there aren't any.

I've also emailed Sonyericsson Support and am awaiting their reply, but was wondering if anyone else had this issue or if anyone had success with their K800i and bluetooth car kits or handsfree kits??

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had a reply from Sony Ericsson support, so far they are unable to find why this problem occurs, but I've tested another K800i with my car kit and that fails too.

I suspect there's an issue with the Bluetooth on the phone :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    The best way to find out is just to contact your local market seller and see what they say.

The phone could either have a faulty bluetooth

OR

It may just need to be flashed with the latest software.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best way to find out is just to contact your local market seller and see what they say.

The phone could either have a faulty bluetooth

OR

It may just need to be flashed with the latest software.
    It's definately not a faulty phone, this occurs on 2 other K800i handsets that I've tried.

I have one on O2, my mate has an Orange one and another mate has a Vodafone one. All 3 have the same problem, they cannot stay connected to a bluetooth car kit.

I've tried a software update and continue to do so every week, but always get the message that my handset is the latest version and doesn't require updating yet. I am hoping when they do release a software update that it may fix this problem though, not having my handsfree kit in the car is a nightmare!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately Sonyericsson Support's reply wasn't much help
    Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.

With regards to your enquiry, we cannot guarantee 100% compatibility between our products and third party manufacturers, however, as with all our handsets we do release updated software versions. We would suggest updating your handsets software from our website www.sonyericsson.com once there is an update available. This may resolve your issue.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again for further help and support.
    I thought Bluetooth was meant to be a standard. I guess some handsets aren't as compatible as others.

It's a shame because the K800i is a great phone apart from this flaw in the Bluetooth that lets it down. I hope the software update is released soon and that it fixes it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah newer phones tend to be less compatible with bluetooth kits than older models. So youll just have to wait for updated software to be released for the kit i guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I have just bought a garmin nuvi 310 gps which suports bluetooth phones. I can pair my K75i to the gps but it takes about 3 to 6 tries to get them to connect properly,after switching on my garmin the phone says nuvi 310 requires access to your files or something simmilar then askes allow or disallow, you have to press the allow button on the phone within 2 micro seconds or the phone just locks up. Why does the phone not give you more time to think and press the button? One or two seconds would be better. Sorry for bad grammer/spelliing just bought a bottle of Ouzo today. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in two minds. Do I wait for a software release and hope that it fixes the problem or do I buy the official Sonyericsson BT car kit that I've been told will work?

Looking on google there are many bluetooth issues with the K800i, so I am not alone at least. Hopefully the bugs will be ironed out soon.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lalaland wrote:
    I have a K800i which is refusing to stay connected to my Bluetooth carkit.
    What car kit? Have you got the latest firmware for it?

I've no problems with my Parrot CK3100, however this has the latest firmware and is in K750i compatability mode (a legcay of my old D750i, might work fine in normal mode).

Two problems (I mentioned on a different thread)

1. If there is no signal when paired to a bluetooth kit, it never gets a signal until the phone is rebooted.

2. You must pair with the headset/car kit before commencing the call, if you connect during silence results. (Fortunatly my car kit, and headset (assuming it's turned on) pair automatically.

At work we have found the SE car kits to be, how can I put this nicley?, crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote:
    Can't remember the name of it.

It's not possible to upgrade the firmware, it has no input points.
    kev wrote:
    I've no problems with my Parrot CK3100, however this has the latest firmware and is in K750i compatability mode (a legcay of my old D750i, might work fine in normal mode).

1. If there is no signal when paired to a bluetooth kit, it never gets a signal until the phone is rebooted.

2. You must pair with the headset/car kit before commencing the call, if you connect during silence results. (Fortunatly my car kit, and headset (assuming it's turned on) pair automatically.
    I read up on the parrot and was close to buying it apart from you can't remove the LCD unit from the car and this encourages car theft so I didn't buy one. It's a shame, they look nice, but I am not prepared to leave my car in the open with an LCD screen on full view for all to see when I'm not there.

Also reading on the parrot site it appears there were a few problems with the K800i and the kit, but recent firmware upgrades have fixed this.
    kev wrote:
    I've read good and bad reviews, which model did you use?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lalaland wrote:
    It's not possible to upgrade the firmware, it has no input points.
    On my Parrot you upgrade via Bluetooth.
    I read up on the parrot and was close to buying it apart from you can't remove the LCD unit from the car and this encourages car theft so I didn't buy one. It's a shame, they look nice, but I am not prepared to leave my car in the open with an LCD screen on full view for all to see when I'm not there.
    I only realised that after install.
    Also reading on the parrot site it appears there were a few problems with the K800i and the kit, but recent firmware upgrades have fixed this.
    Mine was pretty much upto date when I brought my phone so no problems for me :)
    I've read good and bad reviews, which model did you use?
    I can't remember the exact one - probably discontinued now (3 years later)
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lalaland wrote:

Strange?.... There have not been any upgrade for the K800i yet. Are you sure its not the W800i?

Not had any problems with my K800i at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote:

I have the parrott CK3200. Do you notice that yours keeps popping up a message on the phone asking to allow access every 10 mins or so?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Garyo2 wrote:
    I have the parrott CK3200. Do you notice that yours keeps popping up a message on the phone asking to allow access every 10 mins or so?
    From experience in the past with other car kits I havn't, but then again I knew what to do before I tried to use it properley.

on the phone
    Click Menu
    Settings
    Connectiviity
    My Devices
    Highlight your parrot
    Click More
    Select Allow Connection
    Select Always Allow
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finglonga wrote:
    Strange?.... There have not been any upgrade for the K800i yet. Are you sure its not the W800i?

Not had any problems with my K800i at all.
    No, I definately have the K800i. The firmware upgrade being discussed here is for the Parrot car kit, not the phone.
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lalaland wrote:
    No, I definately have the K800i. The firmware upgrade being discussed here is for the Parrot car kit, not the phone.

Oops.

*Note to self*...Put brain in gear before typing! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I bit the bullet and bought the Sony Ericsson HCB-300 car kit to use with my K800i.

It didn't take long to replace the existing one, although it had slightly more cables to install (about 20 minute job).

The unit itself is very nice looking and I have it set to light up blue (matches my Passat's dashboard).

It connects to the K800i no problem and is quicker to react than the one I've just replaced, mutes the stereo only when the call's connected or ringing out instead of muting and giving a pause while the phone sorts itself out (my old one took a while to connect) and the second the call's finished the stereo's straight back on.

The sound quality is better too, not sure how or why, but it's certainly noticable.

A very good feature of this though is that it works with 5 different handsets! You set a colour for each one and changing between them is simply a button press. This means for people that have a work phone and personal phone or if you share the car with other users you can pair all the phones up and if the other one rings while you are driving, simply press the bluetooth button, the colour changes and the other phone's now connected. Very handy for when I've got my girlfriend in the car if she gets a call she wants us both to be in on.

I'm very impressed with this kit. Sony do it directly for £120 including installation or you can get it at Expansys for just under £60 and fit it yourself (this price includes a speaker, if you want it to come through your car speakers like I have it set up then you need a seperate cable for about £16).

Seems a bit strange to me that Sony's latest phone didn't work with my car kit and I had to buy one of there own makes to get it working fine, but there are a couple of others that work with it so it's not all that suspicious.

Anyway, it's reliable, quick, looks decent and reasonably priced too. Supports voice commands, sound quality is excellent, you can select a colour to display and it works with 5 phones at the push of a button.

Well recommended!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Expansys - http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=HCB-300

From Sony - http://www.se-store.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=accessory.detail&ProductID=1059

If you want to use their official 'through the speakers and mute the stereo' cable it's - http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=AMM&tab=3 or you can just have it through a seperate speaker (supplied with unit) under the dash that mutes the stereo as standard in the box or you can also get a similar cable from places like Halfords for around £16 that does what the Sony one does.

A fitted car kit for this price is excellent and it's very easy to install if you don't want to pay Sony to do it. Just remove your stereo, find a space for the internal controller box, fit the wires as per the diagram, refit the stereo and remember to run a wire behind the trim (which pops off) for the mic.

Also note, it doesn't just work on Sonyericsson phones and if you have a Nokia phone your ringtone will come through the speakers instead of it using it's own ringtone (tested with a mates phone last night).