Official Snooker Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    And appropiately now this thread has moved on to page 147 :p
  • zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And as a fitting tribute to Stephen Hendry, here's all his 147s at the Crucible:

1995:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h2pmVn9_-o
    2009: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/8023081.stm
    2012: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17800975
  • TungstenTungsten Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy 50th birthday Jimmy White!
  • MeoquiMeoqui Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was rewatching a few videos of Hendry on Youtube and I found this quote. It made me smile so I thought I'd put it here. Under a video about Hendry retiring someone had labled it something like one of the best players snooker has seen. Underneath was this post
    He is not ONE of the BEST to pick up a cue...John Higgins is one of the best, Ronnie is one of the best, so are Taylor, Ray Reardon, Alex Higgins...

Again, the best to pick up a que are Steve Davis and Joe Davis.

And over them is the legend. The best player that ever was, Stephen Hendry. Don't group him as "one of the best" HE IS THE BEST, he is the standard, he is the legend, He is ******* Stephen HENDRY !

I also loved Hendrys own quote when asked about being the best he mentioned Tiger Woods saying and said

"Well as long as you are in the disscussion as to who the best player is then you have done it right. It's peoples opinion who the best player is but as long as I'm in the discussion as to who the best is I've done all right"

Thought that was a great and very 'non ego' way to put it!
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,957
    Forum Member
    Not surprised Stephen Hendry has retired but it is a sad day for Snooker and Sport in general that one of the all time greats has retired, as a youngster Stephen was my favourite player and i always looked forward to his matches, suppose i need to find a new favourite player but it will be hard.

Hendry's record is simply superb and he is the best player to ever pick up a Cue, 7 World titles, 36 Ranking titles, 72 titles in all, 775 Century breaks, 11 Maximums, 9 Years as World Number One and over 100 Finals are a testament to that, Legend is a term that is all too often over used in Sport but Stephen Hendry certainly deserves that accolade. Enjoy your retirement and good look in whatever you do in the future, you certainly deserve it. Legend.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not even on the BBC main page, only just found out coming here o_O.
  • TheSwordTheSword Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plenty of Welsh featuring in this years championship, and no wonder, what less would you expect from such a civilised, skillful, sophisticated game as the same kind of people excelling in such activity.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tungsten wrote: »

Seconded! :D
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,698
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    IMO the whole clapping incident and the comments after the match have the same goal in mind. Carter (and other players?) are trying to bully Trump into submission and take his natural game away from him because they are scared of it. Trump mentally wilted at the end of that match, in part I think because of Carter's actions with the clapping. Trump was intimidated by Carter and lost all his confidence. The post match comments are just more of the same.

Carter went way down in my estimation after his antics yesterday, I'll be rooting for him to lose his next match now.

I saw a clip of the clapping incident but not having watched the rest of their session, and their body language, it is difficult to say if it was through sarcasm.

However, my guess is that it was, as why would he clap anything if there was the remotest of animosity towards his opponent?

Cannot say that Carter comes across as a particularly likeable character. Have never really liked the fist pumping and gritted teeth from any player. Carter's bemused look, the mad staring eyes at times, then he opens his mouth and we hear that Essex accent.:eek::eek: I know he cannot help it, but it is strange how an accent doesn't suit the face!!

Then we get Terry Griffiths calling him Al-as-tair Carr-ter. :p

As for Judd, he is an immense talent and his youthful blase attitude may grate on some, however he is no worse than the antics Ronnie has displayed during his career, and is somehow accepted because of his natural talent. Judd will never be a Davis or Hendry in personality.

There seems to be double standards, and as mentioned a bit of bullying of Judd, to try and make him what others want him to be. :(
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,698
    Forum Member
    Tungsten wrote: »

The Jimster is 50! :)

..... and he never won a World title. :(:(
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to hear stephen has retired but not that unexpected. My favourite player was davis but hendry was an awesome player at his best.

There are a lot of good young players around but none have anywhere near the skill hendry or davis had. Obviously now ronnie will surpass hendry in century breaks.

One thing i`d like to know is when you say who is the greatest. should longevity be included? I know hendry has won the most but davis was still in the top 16 at 50 and was still getting to finals in his late 40`s. That has to count for something surely.

Enjoy your retirement stephen. it was a pleasure watching you and you will be missed.
  • Suitcase BeraoSuitcase Berao Posts: 6,078
    Forum Member
    Psycho_Ned wrote: »
    Lucky the Hendry/Maguire and Day/Stevens final sessions were split up tomorrow else the crowd would have been getting Virgo doing his Alex Higgins impression....or his Alex Higgins with a dodgy neck impression anyway :p
    He was doing that on the Big Break repeats that are being shown on Challenge just a couple of days ago!

Alison Fisher also appeared on a couple of back to back episodes, looking lovely, but playing terribly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matthew Stevens looks like being the second player into the semi-finals as he wins his ninth frame in a row to lead Day 12-5...
    Forum Member
    Matthew Stevens looks like being the second player into the semi-finals as he wins his ninth frame in a row to lead Day 12-5...
    Is O'Sullivan not playing this morning then TC?
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,839
    Forum Member

Making a return to form after some average years?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make that ten frames in a row for a 13-5 win. I tipped Stevens to win, but nowhere near by this scoreline!

O'Sullivan - Robertson play their remaining sessions this afternoon and this evening, in case anyone wondered.
    Forum Member
    zawtowers wrote: »
    O'Sullivan - Robertson play their remaining sessions this afternoon and this evening, in case anyone wondered.
    Cheers. Just seems odd that they'd have two sessions straight after each other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheers. Just seems odd that they'd have two sessions straight after each other.
    Consensus seems to be have Ronnie in the afternoon as opposed to morning (as he would have been had they continued 'play a session / miss the next / play a session') to optimise viewing figures....
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quick reminder to those with Freeview, there is some Hockey on the red button today and tomorrow which will affect some red button coverage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/5345480.stm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Consensus seems to be have Ronnie in the afternoon as opposed to morning (as he would have been had they continued 'play a session / miss the next / play a session') to optimise viewing figures....

Looking back at the previous draws for the last few years, the quarters have been done the same way. One QF has back to back sessions Tuesday night / Weds morning (Stevens / Day in this case) and the other Wed aft / Wed night.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Very scrappy this morning so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They must have listened to you - excellent 138 break from Jamie Jones to make it 6-5 to Carter. This one might be closer than I thought....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jones hits his fourth 130+ break of the tournament, he's also had a 127 and another ton besides. Some going.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zawtowers wrote: »
    Looking back at the previous draws for the last few years, the quarters have been done the same way. One QF has back to back sessions Tuesday night / Weds morning (Stevens / Day in this case) and the other Wed aft / Wed night.
    Thanks for the info Zaw. Must admit, whilst I could see how they could in theory 'cater for Ronnie' in round one and possibly even the last 16, it'd be a bit of a stretch to assume he'd make the quarters and beyond.

I assume the format you've aforementioned from previous years doesn't necessarily apply to his section of the draw?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jones hits his fourth 130+ break of the tournament, he's also had a 127 and another ton besides. Some going.

Make that his fifth 130+ break! Brilliant!!
This discussion has been closed.