Options

Flat USB cables?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I hadn't even heard of these and i need a new usb cable. I'm moving them about too much from headphones, phones, console controllers etc.

I've just had a search for usb cable and have come across braided; are they any good? I've never heard of them either before.

Such as this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hi-Speed-Braided-Tangle-Free-Charging-Motorola/dp/B00FAADBHO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1413656976&sr=8-3&keywords=micro+usb+cable

I guess that the main benefit of those would be that a braided sheath should be more flexible than a PVC one.
    That might be an advantage if it's a cable that spends most of it's time being, say, wrapped up and stuck in a pouch in a laptop bag cos it isn't as likely to try to remain curled-up when you unwind it for use.
    If it's in long-term use, though, the braid is gonna collect dust, soak up spills and probably start to look dirty.

Somebody should make a mouse with a braided cable sheath though. That's be a good use for it.
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I hadn't even heard of these and i need a new usb cable. I'm moving them about too much from headphones, phones, console controllers etc.

I've just had a search for usb cable and have come across braided; are they any good? I've never heard of them either before.

Such as this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hi-Speed-Braided-Tangle-Free-Charging-Motorola/dp/B00FAADBHO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1413656976&sr=8-3&keywords=micro+usb+cable

I can see it says tangle free in the description and if so maybe they are ok, but Having had a few irons over the years and just having had a look at our present one .... I think I would give braided cable a miss.
    I know a USB cable is a different beast to an iron lead but as far as braided iron leads go they have to be the worst at knotting themselves up.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    I can see it says tangle free in the description and if so maybe they are ok, but Having had a few irons over the years and just having had a look at our present one .... I think I would give braided cable a miss.
    I know a USB cable is a different beast to an iron lead but as far as braided iron leads go they have to be the worst at knotting themselves up.

Old iron leads were cotton braided, not nylon, and had rubber insulated conductors.

The idea being, if you accidentally put the iron on the cable, the insulation wouldn't melt or catch fire, just scorch and soften (the rubber inner).

I would guess nylon braids are just a pretty gimmick. Although they do look quite snazzy.
    No danger of overheating with a USB cable.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also have in mind that cotton braided cables were used in other high temperature things.

eg Electric fires and ovens and immersion heaters.

I didn't understand the 'complexities' of ovens and water heaters, and their regulations, until much later in life but I do have two early stories.

18 months old - (1965) - Mum used to 'bath' me in the kitchen sink, in a crappy rented flat.

It had a Heatrae Sadia Gas Instant Hot Water heater.
    I kept turning blue and falling over in the sink apparently. Funny story now, but Carbon Monoxide was not widely known.

The Health Visitor realised in the end and put my mother right.

Another time:
    I messed with the electric bar fire at 4 (and three quarter years) old.

"Does it get hot and glow red later", I said to myself, "Or the other way round?"

I found a screwdriver and removed the safety grill, switched it on and quickly brushed my fingers against the element.
    Expecting it to be hot, I was cautious and thankfully didn't grab it.

What a belt I got. My arm was numb for ages.

(but I put it back together and pretended nothing had happened. I think my Mum was having a nap and never knew till I told her when much older)
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Glad you escaped carbon monoxide poisonong and you're right it took a long time for that to be made aware to the general public.

I have had a few little shocks over the years mostly just a tingle , If in doubt and you can't establish whether its live or not ... I believe its best brushed withthe back of your hand ,,, just in case you wanted to experiment :).

The very worst shock I had was trying to get a Vespa started in the late 60's ..... silly me I ended up holding the top of the spark plug and then kick starting it.

Big pain, arm seized up for 15mins ... never did it again.