O2 - how long before I can cancel my contract?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
Forum Member
Hi, I currently have a contract with O2, which is actually done for my brother since he's only 17 years old. He got the Samsung S300 for free with some Leisure Time Plus contract where he gets 500mins off-peak to 02/landline, 50mins off-peak to any network and 100 text messages free a month. I think it's around £22 or something.

Anyways, it's only been 6 months and he doesn't feel like he needs all them free calls anymore and it's costing him too much. He said that he read somewhere that it's ok to cancel your contract after 6 months as long as you give back the phone. Is this true? Or do you really have to wait after 12 months before cancelling your contract? I know that you can change your tariff after 6 months but the cheapest one is around £16 with 25mins Anytime and 25 text messages, something which is easily beaten by the £9.99 Bolt On!

So then, can someone provide me with real answers as to when I can actually cancel the contract with O2?

PS. I'm even looking forward to cancelling my Vodafone Anytime 100 contract in November as well! I'm finding that I'm using less and less of my free calls and that an O2 Bolt-On is cheaper!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to wait 12 months!

Didn't you read it before you signed it??

You could just drop him to a lower tarrif though, most of the nextworks have a £12/£15 tarrif.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    Yea, of course I read it. I knew it was 12-months but my brother seems so convinced that you can cancel after 6-months if you give the phone back, lol.

Oh well, time to change his tariff then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Im not sure with O2 but i now when i was with T-mobile that if i wanted to cancel my contract there would be a charge and it varied from how much time was left to run, why dont you call them and see if there is anything else they could off your brother. Its worth a try!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    I have spoken with my brother and we have decided that when the next bill comes, we are gonna change his tariff to a lower one. It would cost too much to pay off the remaining contract.