Options

Flat USB cables?

Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
Forum Member
So, they seem like the "trendy" thing at the moment.

Bought a few of them and, I gotta say, I don't really see the attraction at all.
Because they're flat they're more noticeable, they're harder to coil up tidily for storage and they seem to get kinked and squashed easily too.

Seems like there's no good reason for them except that they're new and different and that, seemingly, makes them "cool".

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're cool. I think you nailed it. :)
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    So, they seem like the "trendy" thing at the moment.

Bought a few of them and, I gotta say, I don't really see the attraction at all.
    Because they're flat they're more noticeable, they're harder to coil up tidily for storage and they seem to get kinked and squashed easily too.

Seems like there's no good reason for them except that they're new and different and that, seemingly, makes them "cool".

Am I missing something?

Every generation of designers forget some of the lessons learned by previous generations.

Also, 'designers' may be mechanical, electrical or aesthetics. They all have different agendas (although good designers will appreciate the nuances and constraints of the other disciplines).

Or Management and Marketing know they might have problems but sell because they look 'modern'. They monitor how many are returned as 'not fit for purpose' and whether the company gets a bad reputation for selling crap products.
    Often, products are sold as 'good enough' rather than starting again.
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I have not seen a flat USB cable yet apart from pics that I just googled, I didn't know they existed and I can't see any reason for them.
    I don't like flat HDMI cables, we have one of them and it works fine but hardly ever gets used.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read that flat cables are made because they supposedly don't easily, or at all, get tangled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I've read that flat cables are made because they supposedly don't easily, or at all, get tangled.

I had something like this once http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-A3L791-RTC/

It did get tangled and was cheap and nasty rubbish.

If you stand on a flat cable, when it is twisted, so that you make a crease in it, it is often ruined.

Also, flat cables suffer more from noise and crosstalk.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If you stand on a flat cable, when it is twisted, so that you make a crease in it, it is often ruined.

Yes I definitely don't like them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose it will get tangled if you're careless with it. I like to keep all my cables separate from the others, and in a straight line.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Funny thing there is, there's a grain of truth in that.

If you have a length of rope and you knot it and pull it really tight, it'll be difficult to get the knot out.
    If you do the same thing with a similar length of flat webbing it'll be easier to get the knot out because it won't knot as neatly.

Course, if you're pulling computer cables so tight that they get properly knotted, what you need is a good slab on the head rather than a different kind of cable.

I bought them 'cos I wanted a bunch of long (and colour-coded) cables for stuff like tablets and phones and I can confidently report that they quickly tangle into a right old rat's nest at the side of the sofa, just like regular cables. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny thing there is, there's a grain of truth in that.

If you have a length of rope and you knot it and pull it really tight, it'll be difficult to get the knot out.
    If you do the same thing with a similar length of flat webbing it'll be easier to get the knot out because it won't knot as neatly.

Course, if you're pulling computer cables so tight that they get properly knotted, what you need is a good slab on the head rather than a different kind of cable.

I bought them 'cos I wanted a bunch of long (and colour-coded) cables for stuff like tablets and phones and I can confidently report that they quickly tangle into a right old rat's nest at the side of the sofa, just like regular cables. :(

My cables don't tangle because I arrange them so that they don't look like the Spaghetti Junction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cables don't tangle because I arrange them so that they don't look like the Spaghetti Junction.

Yes, you pointed out before when you suggested I was careless too in my cable management.

Your gaff must be immune from the 'Laws of Physics' (Entropy, Chaos Theory etc)

Robin's Law: If a cable can get tangled, it will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you pointed out before when you suggested I was careless too in my cable management.

Your gaff must be immune from the 'Laws of Physics' (Entropy, Chaos Theory etc)

Robin's Law: If a cable can get tangled, it will.

No, I just have them arranged in the right way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, I just have them arranged in the right way.

That being the case, surely no cable will get tangled, regardless of type? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That being the case, surely no cable will get tangled, regardless of type? :confused:

I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do get annoyed by people who don't appreciate cables though.

Who tug at rat's nests, wire appliances up with blue and brown primary insulation clamped and who step on trailing temporary and extension cables.

I won't even step on rubber cable protection strips.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?pws=0&gl=uk&q=rubber+cable+protection+strip&gws_rd=ssl
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think cables tangle themselves when no one is looking, well mine do. Every six months or so I will take out the tower for a spring clean and they are all tangled. I put them back all nice and neat and six months later deja vu, the same mess again.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    I think cables tangle themselves when no one is looking, well mine do. Every six months or so I will take out the tower for a spring clean and they are all tangled. I put them back all nice and neat and six months later deja vu, the same mess again.

It's the first law of cable management.

Wherever two or more cables are laid side by side they will spontaneously and without human intervention entangle themselves. :D
  • Options
    TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    It's the first law of cable management.

Wherever two or more cables are laid side by side they will spontaneously and without human intervention entangle themselves. :D

That's so true! :D
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The 5th one down on the second link has to be the worst, just a mass of yellow !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crossover Cables....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »

Whoo! That's what you call a lot of cables.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »

Mentioned it before...

I've got something like 14 mains leads in the living room, along with the speaker wires for a 7.1 hifi, cables going from a PC and Wii to the telly, cables from the telly to the hifi, cables for my router, cables for my phone, cables for my file-server and charging cables for tablets and phones.

EVERY time I move the TV stand to hoover underneath it I end up thinking the cables are a right shambles and I end up unplugging them all, sorting them out and putting them back neatly...

...and the next time I hoover under the TV stand I end up needing to do the same thing again. :confused:
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mentioned it before...

I've got something like 14 mains leads in the living room, along with the speaker wires for a 7.1 hifi, cables going from a PC and Wii to the telly, cables from the telly to the hifi, cables for my router, cables for my phone, cables for my file-server and charging cables for tablets and phones.

EVERY time I move the TV stand to hoover underneath it I end up thinking the cables are a right shambles and I end up unplugging them all, sorting them out and putting them back neatly...

...and the next time I hoover under the TV stand I end up needing to do the same thing again. :confused:
    As I posted above, first law of cable management. Like Gravity it is one of those universal laws that everything obeys :D

Thing that gets me is you have two cables, both plugged in each end, that you laid side by side separately. You come back a few days later and they are twisted round each other so that you have to unplug them to disentangle them. How the hell does that happen?? :confused::o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    As I posted above, first law of cable management. Like Gravity it is one of those universal laws that everything obeys :D

Thing that gets me is you have two cables, both plugged in each end, that you laid side by side separately. You come back a few days later and they are twisted round each other so that you have to unplug them to disentangle them. How the hell does that happen?? :confused::o:D

The cables connected to my computer never get tangled.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't even heard of these and i need a new usb cable. I'm moving them about too much from headphones, phones, console controllers etc.

I've just had a search for usb cable and have come across braided; are they any good? I've never heard of them either before.

Such as this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hi-Speed-Braided-Tangle-Free-Charging-Motorola/dp/B00FAADBHO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1413656976&sr=8-3&keywords=micro+usb+cable