Options

Would YOU be a corrupt copper?

Comments

• Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just giving this some more thought, after watching the first 3 episodes of '24 Hours in Police Custody' I'm inclined to half-jokingly wonder if a bit of 'good' corruption is needed to iron out the obvious apparent miscarriages of justice that seem to regularly occur.

But that's just a tongue in cheek comment.

We have to have faith in the transparency of the system for it to work, right?
  • Options
    JennyukJennyuk Posts: 20,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a copper false stop. Police are the real scum.

Would they let you be a Police Officer ?

SULLA wrote: »
    You should join and make a difference. Show them how it should be done etc.

I can just imagine it, we would sleep safer in our beds. ;-)
    Somner wrote: »

That would never happen, she wouldn't want to be seen doing scummy things such as finding missing children, stopping people getting a kicking, or forcing entry in to an elderly persons home so that they can be given medical assistance.

Or telling parent's there child is dead or a member of there family, dealing with dead bodie's that have started to decompose. It's very easy to say the police are scum, maybe try walking in there shoe's for a while, THEN CALL THEM SCUM. :( I doubt many would stick the job out if they knew exactly what Police officer's have to see and deal with.

Someone i know is married to a police officer, the abuse she get's, and the abuse her children have suffered because of the dad's job in unbelievable. The mother called a pig's sla*, the children beaten up and called pig's bastard's, the mother and children spat on. All because there husband/father is a police officer, it's certainly not an easy life for the officer's families, but lets not take that into consideration, it's easier to condemn them isnt it. :confused:
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm like Gene Hunt not this new man dreck.

PMSL... :D
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plymgary wrote: »
    Whenever I watch something involving the police, I often wonder if they would hurt some of the scumbags they come across if the cameras weren't there? They must have their ways of doing it without leaving bruises, and I suppose they could back each other up should a complaint be made.

I think I would probably be corrupt in that sense. Some of the scum featured on these documentaries make me mad! So, do you think you would toe the line?

No, I wouldn't be a corrupt copper. Indeed, I wouldn't be a copper at all. They have an extremely difficult job, with some very tough things (and sights) to deal with. Despite the criticism I level at the police as a whole, I do recognise what tough assignments they have at an individual level.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What does 'false stop' mean?
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    There will always be bent cops. Ive seen them take a youth down an alley to be beaten up. A neighbour had the flying squad search his house and produce a 'planted' bullet from his attic to secure his arrest. He had form and when they discovered he owned his own home they wanted £12k in cash otherwise they would also produce a gun they would state was found in his car boot.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I couldn't be a police officer at all. I can handle myself, and I'm fit enough, but there is just too much bureaucracy to the job and the worst element all, the general public, to deal with.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is one of the hardest jobs to do in the country - imagine having to deal with the scum of the earth day in day out and there are a few bad apples in any profession.

The stress must be tremendous.

It takes a lot for someone to go to jail these days and the coppers must be sick of the sight of the same old scrotes getting minor fines and their wrists slapped.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Generalising, much? Don't know what kind of coppers you've had dealings with but most of the ones I've met in 44 years (including family members) have been decent people just doing a job. There again, I've never been in trouble with them. Of course I know there are dodgy ones but to make a blanket statement about them all is a tad harsh.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does 'false stop' mean?

I was very tired when I posted that...
    Jennyuk wrote: »
    Would they let you be a Police Officer ?

Nah, they wouldn't - I'm not the right colour.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What colour do you have to be to be a police officer?

I am picturing you as bright blue or maybe green. I have never seen a bright blue or green coloured police officer.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be Judge Dredd.

"I am the law". >:(
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be like Harvey Keitel in 'bad lieutenant' :D
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder is the police did enforce every law down to the smallest detail how much would people complain about them NOT using their discretion
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But you're very well balanced, with a chip on both shoulders.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is a copper false stop?
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Probably. I'd just feel sorry for people and let them off stuff :D
    Lol, yes. I was always held back in my police career by the fact that nearly everyone I met on patrol was so darn nice. The one occasion (I know I have posted this in the past) I was actually in hot pursuit of a burglar, I fell over and hurt myself and he came back and picked me up. (Then ran away again, obviously. This is not Hollywood.) I would see a man walking round at 2am with a car radio under his jacket and ask him where he got that car radio? And he would say that his auntie gave it to him. And I would think, "what a nice young man! And what a heart-warming story! His auntie loves him so much that she has given him a car radio in the middle of the night!"
    plymgary wrote: »
    Nice work there Freud.

Well, if some knob is spitting in your face, hitting a child in front of you and screaming abuse I think it's fair to assume he's a bit of a scumbag. It's also worth noting the police have their 'regular' cases so are well aware of some of their histories.
    The more of a 'scumbag' you think someone is, the more vital it is to do absolutely everything by the book. It's all right to lark about with a well-known drunk who is going home in the morning - some of them are in the charge room so many times in a year that it's like a home-from-home to them -but it you have someone you want to see in prison you get things right.

Look at the Blakelock investigation, and statement after statement being disallowed. Yes, the police had just had to deal with the brutal murder of a colleague, but they got that very badly wrong.
    Takae wrote: »
    No idea, but I don't think I could beat suspects, even those who piss me off royally.

HELL no. They might have beaten me back. And there's something pretty repulsive about behaving in a way you are hoping someone else will be punished for.

Police don't respect people who can't control themselves anyway. When I was on relief there were a lot of nicknames about. One young man -hormonal, aggressive, punchy, always demanding 'respect' -had the nickname 'lonely'.

Yeah, or falsifying evidence, spying on families who accuse the police of wrong doing, stop and searching black men, shooting a man whilst he's begging for medical help after a car crash, beating a woman up because she was on the phone, or manhandling a person so hard I bring on his asthma causing him to suffocate to death. Nah, wouldn't want to do that...

You certainly have summarized a typical police shift...
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I would be like McBain.

My boss calls me into his office "in this force we do things by the book"

(BelfastGuy pulls out revolver and shoots a hole in book)

"Bye Book".
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    There will always be bent cops. Ive seen them take a youth down an alley to be beaten up. A neighbour had the flying squad search his house and produce a 'planted' bullet from his attic to secure his arrest. He had form and when they discovered he owned his own home they wanted £12k in cash otherwise they would also produce a gun they would state was found in his car boot.

He had form, so of course he was telling the truth.:D
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You get some bad eggs in all jobs but on the whole the police in the UK are a credit to the country. Up there with the NHS for me.
  • Options
    mrtdg82mrtdg82 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way everything is recorded now days makes it very difficult for anyone to be corrupt. I'm sure some still get away with it but ultimately due to data recording and data protection it makes it very hard.

All radios are equipped with gps, all calls are monitered, every system you used is audited, it wouldn't be easy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you're very well balanced, with a chip on both shoulders.

Yeah, that means so much from a former police officer who tried to justify another police officer stopping a group of black boys because they didn't recognise them from the area lol. Btw Your 'chip on shoulder' comment basically proves my point.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, that means so much from a former police officer who tried to justify another police officer stopping a group of black boys because they didn't recognise them from the area lol. Btw Your 'chip on shoulder' comment basically proves my point.

It was invented for such as you, and don't take previous comments I've made out of context.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is a copper false stop? /QUOTE]

Somebody already beat you to that put down. Lame.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be like Harvey Keitel in Bad Lieutenant

If somebody gives you that power you might aswell use it for personal gain, like money drugs and sexual favours
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could you still plant drugs on people you didn't like or knew were guilty and CS gas spray cheeky twats?