Autumnwatch 2014

THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,449
Forum Member
I don't know whether this has been mentioned, but I havnt found anything via the search function, but Autumnwatch is returning on Tuesday evening for the next 4 nights on BBC 2 from 8.00pm-9.00pm coming from Leighton Moss for the second year running which is an RSPB reserve. There are also webcams on the Internet and via the BBC Red Button service of continuish live coverage of the wildlife between 7.00am-9.30pm for the next 4 days. I'm really looking forward to this live wildlife programe all this week.
Ian.

Comments

• babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, I'll be tuning in. Love me a bit of nature and autumn's my favourite time of year :)
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its always a bit same-y but I still enjoy it.

I always think Springwatch & Autumn watch should be on for 2 weeks and winterwatch for 1.

I would be happy to see a week summer watch too, but hey that would be greedy.

Thanks for the heads up
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Autumnwatch, Autumn is my favourite season.
    There is going to be an Easter special, and due to popular demand, Summerwatch too.

According to Chris anyway.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always admire those presenters who can sometimes, "talk bollox with authority," it's often amusing, Clare Balding has been one, on some sports she's covered.

In this case it's a few years ago mind, Kate Humble.
    The cameras focused on two moorhens. As one was larger than the other, she told us "the one on the left is the female." Bill Oddie sensibly kept his mouth shut.
    A schoolkid who took an interest in "nature studies" could have told her they were both males, one was probably from the previous year's brood.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually prefer Aitumnwatch to Sprimgwatch which tends to air around early summer which is a bit late, and they focus too much on bird nesting and not nearly enough on the flora that is around. There is so much to look at and discuss there. I'm guessing if it doesn't move it's not considered interesting enough for most viewers, which is a shame.

My only quibble with Autumnwatch is that there is too much time spent focused on (usually (red) deer rutting and the silly names they give to them, which bores me rigid now, and predictably there will be an excess of all that again. Why not at least devote a program to fungi which is abundant at this time of year and which might get all of a 3 minute mention if that? Oh, hang on. Fungi doesn't move so that must be boring. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just caught moments of this swapping channels.

Did I hear someone say; "Sit still and be patronised by some numpty in a scuba who's mask up to his neck in water?"

Did he "graduate" from Blue Peter?
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    That was a good blow job
  • drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

innuendo abound ;-)

it must have crossed their minds before they did it
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I usually prefer Aitumnwatch to Sprimgwatch which tends to air around early summer which is a bit late, and they focus too much on bird nesting and not nearly enough on the flora that is around. There is so much to look at and discuss there. I'm guessing if it doesn't move it's not considered interesting enough for most viewers, which is a shame.

My only quibble with Autumnwatch is that there is too much time spent focused on (usually (red) deer rutting and the silly names they give to them, which bores me rigid now, and predictably there will be an excess of all that again. Why not at least devote a program to fungi which is abundant at this time of year and which might get all of a 3 minute mention if that? Oh, hang on. Fungi doesn't move so that must be boring. :rolleyes:

You were right, yet again we are being 'treated' to the Red Deer rutting. We've seen it all before, many times, only this time the names are such as 'the General' and 'the Major'. Yawn.

And of course we have live cameras on Otters and Barn Owls. Would it be too much to ask for Long Eared Owls just for once?
  • RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drillbit wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

innuendo abound ;-)

it must have crossed their minds before they did it

"That was a good blow er... thing"

Thankfully Michaela is always "very professional",

As the Martin Clunes character from Men Behaving Badly once said when confronted (IIRC) with his scrapbox of her pics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rroses wrote: »
    "That was a good blow er... thing"

Thankfully Michaela is always "very professional",

As the Martin Clunes character from Men Behaving Badly once said when confronted (IIRC) with his scrapbox of her pics.

There was an old YouTube clip of Michaela in shorts and wellies stuck in wet sand, this was making her laugh and the crew weren't much help. She eventually said, "If I don't stop laughing, I'm going to wet my knickers."
    She's knowledgeable, down to earth and seemed to get pushed out at one time by "some blonde bimbo who was forever tossing her long curly hair."

Fortunately, the BBC have seen sense and she's back in favour.
  • Dora_JarDora_Jar Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oops! Maybe an otter chewed through a cable.
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    It's a power cut.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coast is the harbinger of doom. Only seems to be on when there's been a balls up or a sporting event has finished early.
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    Dora_Jar wrote: »

And now we're stuck with the mad Prof Nick Crane. Come back Chris and Martin and Michaela! We pay our licence fee for this??
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dora_Jar wrote: »

:D

Annoying though isn't it, I was enjoying tonight's. And now they've stuck Coast on, oh great! >:(
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    All fixed, be back in a few minutes.
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That'll teach you for spying, they've all realised and come for revenge, beware the owls people!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow brave pigeon
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disgusting what people do to hen harriers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Iolo has done a piece very similar to that before on Autumnwatch, maybe with Puffins but I was definitely having deja vu watching that.
  • Dora_JarDora_Jar Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other half switched over and wouldn't let me see the end. Bah! I reminded him he was fascinated by the use of the drone.

Oh well!
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teeswolf wrote: »
    You were right, yet again we are being 'treated' to the Red Deer rutting. We've seen it all before, many times, only this time the names are such as 'the General' and 'the Major'. Yawn.

And of course we have live cameras on Otters and Barn Owls. Would it be too much to ask for Long Eared Owls just for once?

Yep, tend to agree they spend too much time on the deer rutting, although it used to be worse. Given the programme is only on for four nights it could be cut down a bit. I think that would be my main criticism of all the “Watches” that it can be too narrowly focussed on certain items. Springwatch spent ages on otters. Some of it obviously is down to where they are based and what resides there. However there is such much out there that barely gets a passing mention it’s a shame they don’t widen it a bit. I mean just how many items on starlings have we had, loads and loads. It’s in danger of becoming somewhat formulaic.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was an old YouTube clip of Michaela in shorts and wellies stuck in wet sand, this was making her laugh and the crew weren't much help. She eventually said, "If I don't stop laughing, I'm going to wet my knickers."
    She's knowledgeable, down to earth and seemed to get pushed out at one time by "some blonde bimbo who was forever tossing her long curly hair."

Fortunately, the BBC have seen sense and she's back in favour.

I much prefer Michaela and think she and Chris work very well together and are an easy fit. Shes been through such a lot this year..... its great to see her back on tv.