Options

Worst special effects (models and minatures, not CGI) in movies

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
Forum Member
✭✭
A few days ago I was watching Meteor on blu ray...I know it's not a great movie but I had not seen it for years, and hoped with a decent transfer it might at least look a little better.

Nope.

What struck me, as it did on previous viewings, was how bad the modelwork (specifically the scenes of the rockets, or indeed any scenes in space) in the movie was.

The main problem is that the rockets themselves looked just like toys, were pure, shiny white with hardly any detail, and worst of all were filmed in such harsh, bright lighting they looked exactly like...well, toys.

Filming miniatures is an art and a skill, and a good crew would know how to film models in such a way to give them a sense of scale, which is crucial for such movies otherwise they just look like...toys. You also NEVER film such models with bright studio lights, even big, massively detailed and more convincing models such as the ones in movies like Alien/Aliens, Star Wars, Star Trek etc.

I actually cannot believe the footage even got past the director and the people at the studios...it looks more like test footage, or something you would see on a children's tv show.

Definitely the worst I have seen. Anyone got any other similar examples?

Comments

• Options
    logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evil Beneath Loch Ness..The underwater scenes were filmed in a dark smokey room with the actors wearing diving gear and walking around in slow motion. I kinda love that film, especially since it's supposed to be set in Scotland but it's obviously California.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing will compare to this gem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywaR-Lq_ayk
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I know it's quite an old film but I always feel that the footage of the dam collapsing in The Dambusters is very poorly done and spoils what should be the dramatic climax of the film.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The FX on Superman 4 and Star Trek 5 we pretty poor.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of the X Men movies especially Wolverine Origins.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    The model sharks in Jaws 3 and Jaws 4
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    There's this masterpiece from the 50s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOj0nXpRqX8
    Despite his reputation as a genius of cinema, Hitchcock had some pretty ropey effects in his movies - Marnie in particular with poor back projection and dummy horses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's quite an old film but I always feel that the footage of the dam collapsing in The Dambusters is very poorly done and spoils what should be the dramatic climax of the film.

Have to agree, that particular sequence has always looked ropey, which is a shame because apart from that dreadful bit of 'enhancement' when the dam blows up, the rest of the modelwork is actually pretty good.

That said it is still a great movie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    The FX on Superman 4 and Star Trek 5 we pretty poor.

Good examples, and particularly of studios trying to save money and do it on the cheap...Superman 4 filmed in Milton Keynes...and on the London Underground unconvincingly trying to stand in for a NY subway.

ST5 similarly with some dreadful process shots, and just general all round cheapness. Kind of an insult to fans of the franchise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    All of the X Men movies especially Wolverine Origins.

Does not apply...talking about older movies. non-cgi, mainly old style modelwork.

Bad CGI I more modern movies is perhaps a thread you should start yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's this masterpiece from the 50s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOj0nXpRqX8
    Despite his reputation as a genius of cinema, Hitchcock had some pretty ropey effects in his movies - Marnie in particular with poor back projection and dummy horses.

Mmmm...I dunno...when you start going back to the 30's to the 60's I don't think it's the same...simple truth is in those decades unless you went down the Harryhausen route, which was time consuming and expensive, you had to make rubber monsters and they usually looked rubbish.

Plus if you were young at the time you saw them, you never minded anyway

I'm talking more about movies made during the decades when convincing special effects were available, but that for whatever reason certain people had decided they would save money and do it on the cheap, and also with high-profile, larger budget movies, rather than the lower budget ones that simply never had the resources/money, so you can kind of forgive or at least understand them.

It's the movies that were major, high-profile, apparently respectable, with major stars and directors etc that promised us so much, but ultimately did it on the cheap and shafted us. Sorry if that wasn't clear in my initial post...trying to avoid CGI related stuff is possible.

As for Hitchcock, I think his movies varied between innovative techniques such as dolly shots in Vertigo, cameras strapped to actors as in the scene in Psycho where Martin Balsam falls down the stairs, to some dodgy process/matte shots in some of his other movies.

The Birds is a good example, but yet I don't get distracted by that because we are talking 50's, and such techniques were typical of what was available and in use during that era.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a shot near the end of 'The Passion of the Christ' of the interior of a crumbling temple that is awful. It looks like the columns are 5 inches high.

I think it must have been the very last scene to shoot and they only had $25 left in the budget :)
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are always going on about how in Herzog's "Fitzcarraldo" everything was done for real but there's a fairly ordinary model shot showing the boat whirling around in a maelstrom which goes unmentioned/unnoticed.
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original Terminator is looking very ropey effects wise these days. The scene where Arnie (or rather his clay 'double' which looks nothing like him) is removing his eyeball is hilariously crap.
  • Options
    BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ST5 similarly with some dreadful process shots, and just general all round cheapness. Kind of an insult to fans of the franchise.

What was worse that at the same time, Star Trek: TNG was doing effects work that was several times better on a fraction of the budget. Hell, I'd swear the majority of the effects work in The Final Frontier was literally worse than the stuff in Star Trek: TOS.

While we're on the subject of Trek, The Motion Picture had quite a few shots that they obviously didn't have the time to finish. As a result, you had moments like the cool, trippy wormhole effect, which was immediately followed by an asteroid filmed in the wrong aspect ratio and then turning into a crudely overlaid explosion.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Ragging on the 60 year old dam-bursting effects in 'The Dam Busters' or the low-budget eye-surgery in 'The Terminator' is a bit unfair. Now consider the surfing scene in 'Die Another Day'. I know CGI was in its relative infancy around the time of DAD, but that scene is absolutely dreadful.
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read more than once that Hitchcock was well aware of how unrealistic back projection looked, so he made no effort whatsoever to be 'tidy' when using it.

OH bought me a DVD of 'The Longest Day' yesterday and, despite my recollections of it as very 'serious' (it's been years since I saw it), some of the model work is rather lame (as well as some no-chance back projection).

In terms of effective miniatures, I would contend that Earthquake takes the crown. The 'collapsing freeway' shot in particular is still quite breathtakingly convincing.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    The Dambusters one has always got me, it looks like a cartoon cell laid on top of the actual film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Dambusters one has always got me, it looks like a cartoon cell laid on top of the actual film.

They had to cover up the bouncing bomb in some of the footage as its design was still classified when the film came out.
    The explosions at the dams looked like very poorly done mattes of explosions superimposed over the model breaking up.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Nothing will compare to this gem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywaR-Lq_ayk

I thought I was watching some bad old computer game for a sec there :o:D
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought this from the pound shop..i quite enjoyed it.
    Manborg trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mISUM0qvFTQ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Firefox has some pretty unconvincing model work.
    I was thinking about Meteor and I'm sure that's the film where you could see a light bulb in the exhaust of one of the missiles!
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The brown shields in Dune are horrid and spoil the actually quite good production design.
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sink The Bismarck...1960...great film but dodgy models for the ships ! :)
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read more than once that Hitchcock was well aware of how unrealistic back projection looked, so he made no effort whatsoever to be 'tidy' when using it.

Hitchcock reportedly was inspired by the 1920's German expressionist films such as Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari which had surreal painted backgrounds and it is claimed, certainly with Marnie, some of the scenes were intended as homage to those previous films and had backgrounds that were never intended to look realistic.

That's the excuse anyway. ;-)