Options

Driving Standards

knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They more than ever seem to be on the decline, especially during the morning and evening 'commute' times.

Every set of lights have drivers sailing through on red as though it's optional whether or not to stop. This morning a bus went through a full red at what must have been pushing 40mph.

Then I saw a woman overtake on the inside and completely cut in front of another driver - whilst turning a corner! It was like watching go karting - except they wouldn't have spun out into a stack of tires had it gone wrong.

What have you witnessed?

Comments

• Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,314
    Forum Member
    :o This is General Discussion and you haven't mentioned any racial/cultural stereotypes?

I am pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    :o This is General Discussion and you haven't mentioned any racial/cultural stereotypes?

I am pleasantly surprised.
    I think the last thread on this subject, and there have been many, was about "foreigners" who come to live here and drive with their "foreign" licences.
    More like it!
  • Options
    scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well.. we aint Russian standards yet so that is something.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We wait patiently for comments about Audi, BMW, Merc & Range Rover drivers..........................!!

Oops - nearly forgot - cyclists!

And old people.............

And Nissan Micra drivers......................

and........................
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,253
    Forum Member
    Its the going through red lights that irks me. I wait for the green man and at that point I have cars just not even attempting to stop. Sometimes I get the red man again and the cars have just been pouring through.
    "Oh look, a pedestrian who has obviously got time to waste by walking while I have somewhere IMPORTANT to go so I'm not going to stop for him"
    Or the motorists who overtake me on my bike when they have only about 50 meters ahead of them before they reach the back of more traffic. They give it some hard revs, gun past at maximum and just make it past me before hard on with the brakes again (I pass them again instantly). I wonder if they are even thinking at all.

Driving standards are dropping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I ask is that old drivers stick to the limit and dont drive so ****ing slow. And idiots (old drivers) who dont turn there main beam off when driving past..those things makes me mad.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,315
    Forum Member
    On a local forum, recently, one poster posted a quiz wherein others were required to identify road traffic signs. The rate of success - or rather the lack of it - was a little disturbing.

Then again so many drivers don't seem to ever bother reading them anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    We wait patiently for comments about Audi, BMW, Merc & Range Rover drivers..........................!!

Oops - nearly forgot - cyclists!

And old people.............

And Nissan Micra drivers......................

and........................

Post 7.
    Didn't take long did it?
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drive a lot for work and have noticed a LOT more people jumping red lights even when the light has been red for 2+ seconds and they still jump them when the traffic has started moving the opposite direction.

A few years ago I only use to come across not even 1 person a month jumping a red light in front of me and now it's every other day (and I'm not talking about when the light has just changed red).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drive a lot for work and have noticed a LOT more people jumping red lights even when the light has been red for 2+ seconds and they still jump them when the traffic has started moving the opposite direction.

A few years ago I only use to come across not even 1 person a month jumping a red light in front of me and now it's every other day (and I'm not talking about when the light has just changed red).

I have jumped them in the early hours if I am working wkends and it is dead. I have been behind police who have jumped them as well at the same time.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,691
    Forum Member
    scotty22 wrote: »
    And idiots (old drivers) who dont turn there main beam off when driving past..those things makes me mad.
    And idiots who flash their lights in thanks at nights when you let them through. Yes, thanks for blinding me! >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Post 7.
    Didn't take long did it?

Some old people on mobility scooters are worse than bad, they are scary.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see people racing through red lights, quite the opposite. I see people sitting forever at the lights after they turn green.

Then there are the people who have no idea how a bloody roundabout works.

Let's not forget the people who come barreling up behind you doing twice the speed of sound, overtake in a stupid place narrowly missing your arse and then pull in narrowly missing your nose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Some old people on mobility scooters are worse than bad, they are scary.

Just like "youngsters" on motorbikes - bloody clueless.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Apparently, 85% of drivers think they are an above average driver.:confused:
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently, 85% of drivers think they are an above average driver.:confused:

In one of the few moments when Clarkson is sensible and makes sense, he once said similar to the above and pointed out that most people (British people i presume) would say they were "pretty hopeless" or "Well I try my best" or "I struggle along" if asked whether they were good at dancing, golf, the piano or any other activity.

Yet driving....nearly everyone is above average in their own minds. I wonder if it's tied in to a sense of necessity and personal freedom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just like "youngsters" on motorbikes - bloody clueless.

I don't care about motorbikes. They aren't on the footpath with you.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should driving licences be 'revalidated' every 10 years with a repeat test? :confused:

There are people who passed their test but not driven for many years and they are still perfectly entitled to drive without restriction. Also people don't always report changes in their health to the DVLA because they fear their licence being taken away. Or people slip into bad driving habits. And would it improve standards for everyone?
  • Options
    knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes same here, there used to be the occasional idiot who would do it but on my journey now it is every set of lights, two or three go through.

It also really irritates me when people block box junctions, then when the lights inevitably change to red and theyre still stuck there, none of the other traffic can pass and it just creates a massive backlog all because of the selfishness of a couple of people.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,428
    Forum Member
    I drive a lot for work and have noticed a LOT more people jumping red lights even when the light has been red for 2+ seconds and they still jump them when the traffic has started moving the opposite direction
    I've been noticing a lot more people who have been in stationary or slow moving traffic try and "slip in" behind the car in front of them despite the lights changing ages ago and it no longer being their right of way.

For example, this happened the other day on the way home from work:

Me and and a car behind attempting to turn right, awaiting the filter light
    Traffic moving slowly in oncoming direction, starting to clog up in the road to the right but just about room for 2.
    Filter light comes on (only lasts a short period)
    Despite the filter coming on for my side, 2 cars in oncoming lane try to barge forward and turn to their left, almost leaving me and the car behind stuck in the middle of a busy box junction as the lights then change back.
    Car in oncoming lane then has the nerve to toot me despite going through a bloody red light >:(
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotty22 wrote: »
    All I ask is that old drivers stick to the limit and dont drive so ****ing slow. And idiots (old drivers) who dont turn there main beam off when driving past..those things makes me mad.

It's a limit not a target, you say slow but not dangerous so why push someone into driving at a speed that they aren't comfortable with and therefore likely to mess up.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When leaving work yesterday I'd just entered a roundabout to turn right when I realised there was an Argos lorry approaching the entrance to my left not even slowing down. I saw the driver glance over and carry on going straight across the front of me.

Luckily I'd seen him early enough to brake so he didn't take the front of my car off, the idiot!!

Unfortunately I see this kind of thing a lot at rounadabouts. You either get people just barreling through without even looking to their right or you get some that actually do look and think "sod it, I'm going anyway".
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    It's a limit not a target, you say slow but not dangerous so why push someone into driving at a speed that they aren't comfortable with and therefore likely to mess up.

If they're not comfortable driving at a sensible speed then they probably shouldn't be driving. There is a reason that you pick up minor points on a driving test if you're not going fast enough!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning I saw a lady in a range rover drive over an island, footpath, field and grass verge to move further up the traffic queue. Some drivers seem to think because they are driving through country hills they can drive however they want. I regularly have people driving towards me on my side of the road trying to overtake cyclists and walkers and basically just expecting me to stop to let them past. Also people who stay stuck up your arse no matter what speed you go, if we switch from a 30 to a 60 you shouldn't be the same distance behind me as you where in the 30zone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're not comfortable driving at a sensible speed then they probably shouldn't be driving. There is a reason that you pick up minor points on a driving test if you're not going fast enough!

Yes because it can be dangerous but the poster only said they weren't going the limit nothing about dangerous driving as a result. A lot of the times going the limit can be dangerous. I would be hesitant to remove what can be an important lifeline for elderly/older people simply because they aren't hurtling along as the max speed. I think people in general drive way to fast and rarely stick to any limits so when some does stick to it or a few mph below it can seem they are going a snails pace.

I was driving last night and at the entrance to the motorway it said *30* flashing because there had been a car crash right ahead. Did any car slow to 30? Nope, did any put on their brakes? Nope, all 8 cars went flying ahead. It then caused queues because slamming on their brakes meant people were having to stop whereas had they slowed to 30 we all could have driven through the single lane easily.