Doctor/Clara romance in series 8?

Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This series has been about The Doctor and Clara finding who each other are. With them discovering this, particularly now the Doctor is calling her "his Clara" not to mention various hints it's over between him and River (lots of references to her being in the past, he even called her an ex) as well as that emotional goodbye, could all this pave the way for the Doctor and Clara becoming more intimate in series 8, not necessarily explicit as that's not Moffat's style but still? Thoughts?

Comments

• ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's not an unlikely theory. Clara has now technically been with him longer than any other companion, she knows everything about him (well aside from his John Hurt incarnation). Either she'll become his new best mate like Donna, or she could be Susan's grandmother.
  • elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    I really really hope not :mad:. I don't want a repeat of Series 2 with 10 and Rose. I hated that relationship more than any other even though I loved Rose with 9.

The 'love story' with River only worked because it was a long story arc with nuance AND she didn't appear as a full companion so popped up only now and then.

I hope Clara becomes more a Donna style companion - fiercely devoted but as a best friend only.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please no. :)
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    I hope not, unless it surprises me and is done very differently from Rose and 10.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    I hope not, unless it surprises me and is done very differently from Rose and 10.

This.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »

It would bound to be. Clara's nowhere as needy as Rose and Eleven isn't as overly dramatic as Ten.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. A romance between them would be utterly contrived. This is an awful, awful notion.
    That said, Clara's very limited character arc seems to have come to it's natural end. Where, really, can it go from here? Her existence & purpose have been explained & fulfilled.
    TBH... Perhaps it would've been better that she had died?
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sh'boobie wrote: »
    No. A romance between them would be utterly contrived. This is an awful, awful notion.
    That said, Clara's very limited character arc seems to have come to it's natural end. Where, really, can it go from here? Her existence & purpose have been explained & fulfilled.

I agree entirely.

And the timelord does not need a romance with anyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have said this before I think Clara and 11 are quite cute together but I think Matt does too much of the ancient soul thing for it to work with Clara. I think he trouble is Clara still seems quite young and I think even hinting at romantic would feel a bit odd.

I am going to contradict myself and say it would be cute and more believe able than melodramatic Rose and 10 but then maybe that's because I'm not really a fan of Billi Piper lol
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sh'boobie wrote: »

i said this exact thing on the other episode thread shes done what she was ther eto do why wasnt she just left

and a romance? theyre on thin ice with me atm if they do that i will just turn off altogether
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    My answer.

It's Doctor Who, not Eastenders. Turning The Doctor into a romantic figure was one of the biggest mistakes during the RTD era. It makes him too human, too mundane. Give him a romantic interest and he might as well as be just another bloke.

The only thing more annoying than the Ten/Rose romance was Ten pining over Rose like a teenage boy in series 3.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    alixfowler wrote: »
    I have said this before I think Clara and 11 are quite cute together but I think Matt does too much of the ancient soul thing for it to work with Clara. I think he trouble is Clara still seems quite young and I think even hinting at romantic would feel a bit odd.

She has now led multiple lifetimes and remembers them all. That's potentially hundreds of years of life experience. So not such an unreasonable match.

I think it's obvious that there's been a romance brewing all season. The trouble, of course, is that the nature of the show means it can't be permanent. Jenna isn't going to be permanent and nor is Matt. Eventually one or both will move on and unless they find a way to regenerate Clara any kind of romance is going to have to end in tears.

Which doesn't mean it won't happen, of course :D
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't think it's heading that way. If it does, whether I like it depends entirely on how it's done. If it seems credible, isn't tacky, and isn't glorified fan-service than I have an open mind about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think it's heading that way. If it does, whether I like it depends entirely on how it's done. If it seems credible, isn't tacky, and isn't glorified fan-service than I have an open mind about it.

Oh we don't seem to be in any danger of that it seems. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    She has now led multiple lifetimes and remembers them all. That's potentially hundreds of years of life experience. So not such an unreasonable match.

I think it's obvious that there's been a romance brewing all season. The trouble, of course, is that the nature of the show means it can't be permanent. Jenna isn't going to be permanent and nor is Matt. Eventually one or both will move on and unless they find a way to regenerate Clara any kind of romance is going to have to end in tears.

Which doesn't mean it won't happen, of course :D

Yes true about travelling I suppose I meant aesthetic age as I think they make Jenna look quite young which isn't difficult but ironically I think she looks younger than she did what 3 years ago in Waterloo Road. It's not something I'm really bothered about but I haven't ever felt their relationship to be platonic as it always seems there has some undercurrent which the Doctor couldn't act on 1. If he could still sense River who I suppose is sort of gone now and 2 he didn't know who or what Clara was.

Also in the two other versions Clara/Oswin have both been really flirty and of course Victorian Clara went in for a full on snog so maybe Moftat is giving hints to the future?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    No no no no no no no. No! FFS! A brilliant mind close to a thousand years old should regard humans the way humans regard their dogs.

Thrombin wrote: »
    She has now led multiple lifetimes and remembers them all. That's potentially hundreds of years of life experience. So not such an unreasonable match

Hmmm, this is a really interesting point as (our) Clara is in the Dr's timeline and therefore strictly should only be seeing the other Claras from his POV. Therefore she should be unable to assimilate any of their memories / life experiences into herself. However it is strongly suggested by the voiceover and the images thatshe is aware of lots of Claras that the Dr doesn't even notice... but then how can they be in the Dr's timeline if he doesn't notice them?

So does she remember them all? I'm now not sure. I thought the point of Clara was that in the end she was an ordinary girl who did an extraordinary thing, and therefore that she should emerge - if saved - as ordinary. If she emerges with all memories of all Claras, then she would be more 'special' than the Dr - as we know for sure that there have been human, Gallifreyan and Dalek Claras, she would have memories / experiences from all those races and possibly more.

But to come back to the lovey dovey stuff - no. Dr is to companion as human is to dog. All writers and showrunners should be made to repeat that mantra. If I want to watch sh1tty teen romance stories, I understand that there are things called soap operas available to me.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's true series 8 will be Matt's last than I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to go the romantic route. It'll give them a chance to chance to pull at people's heartstrings if/when Clara loses HER Doctor. They've just set her up as the most important companion in his lives so far, plus there's been little comments dropped here and there...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so.

While I do think River worked wonderfully for a romance with him, I think after her the Doctor should go back to having platonic friendships with his companions. Honestly, I find it a bit tiresome that so many shows find they need to have some sort of romance subplot. What's wrong with two people just being friends and seeing the universe while running from monsters?

Though, I do think he should still, for whatever reason, kiss each companion at least once at some point during their run. Something like spontaneous fits of excitement like with Rory.
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm undoubtedly in the minority here, but I'd love to see a Doctor/companion romance. If it were done absolutely right (i.e. NOT a 10/Rose type of relationship) I think it could work.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Was I the only one who liked Rose and 10 then? ha.

Although she did work best with 9.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    neutralned wrote: »
    Hmmm, this is a really interesting point as (our) Clara is in the Dr's timeline and therefore strictly should only be seeing the other Claras from his POV. Therefore she should be unable to assimilate any of their memories / life experiences into herself. However it is strongly suggested by the voiceover and the images thatshe is aware of lots of Claras that the Dr doesn't even notice... but then how can they be in the Dr's timeline if he doesn't notice them?

So does she remember them all? I'm now not sure. I thought the point of Clara was that in the end she was an ordinary girl who did an extraordinary thing, and therefore that she should emerge - if saved - as ordinary. If she emerges with all memories of all Claras, then she would be more 'special' than the Dr - as we know for sure that there have been human, Gallifreyan and Dalek Claras, she would have memories / experiences from all those races and possibly more.

I'm pretty sure it's been established that she remembers all the Clara's. She was torn apart, scattered throught time and then brought back together when the job was done. She specifically said that she only remembered seeing 11 Doctors which implies that she remembers her experiences.
  • AncalagonAncalagon Posts: 2,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my honest opinion, people that say Clara now has nowhere else to go have no imagination.
    So her special story has been wrapped up, so? She is now a companion then with as much "point" if you like, as Rose,Martha etc- simply just to be a female companion.

Also to all the fanboys who don't want the Doctor to have a romance - lol Why? For heavens sake- one assumes time lords procreated at one point- it's only natural that the doctor would have feelings now and again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    If it's true series 8 will be Matt's last than I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to go the romantic route. It'll give them a chance to chance to pull at people's heartstrings if/when Clara loses HER Doctor. They've just set her up as the most important companion in his lives so far, plus there's been little comments dropped here and there...

Seriously? Have you just plucked this out of nowhere? People are obsessed with Matt leaving- I really don't know why- there is nothing concrete or official in anyway that suggests he is leaving after series 8
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neutralned wrote: »
    No no no no no no no. No! FFS! A brilliant mind close to a thousand years old should regard humans the way humans regard their dogs.

But to come back to the lovey dovey stuff - no. Dr is to companion as human is to dog. All writers and showrunners should be made to repeat that mantra. If I want to watch sh1tty teen romance stories, I understand that there are things called soap operas available to me.

Yes but the Doctor has grown and developed feelings he does not think of humans as dogs clearly.

I don't know why people want him to remain an asexual geek- maybe cause most Dr Who fans, have not had much experience in the relationship department so it gives them someone to look up to ? :confused: I do find it very odd that you can SO opposed to a fictional character in a fictional show having a fictional relationship.... :confused:

Besides Oswin and Victorian Clara were intellectually sparring with the Doctor and they are just echo's of Clara- so I would say intellectually- she is a good match!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ancalagon wrote: »
    Yes but the Doctor has grown and developed feelings he does not think of humans as dogs clearly.

I don't know why people want him to remain an asexual geek- maybe cause most Dr Who fans, have not had much experience in the relationship department so it gives them someone to look up to ? :confused: I do find it very odd that you can SO opposed to a fictional character in a fictional show having a fictional relationship.... :confused:

Besides Oswin and Victorian Clara were intellectually sparring with the Doctor and they are just echo's of Clara- so I would say intellectually- she is a good match!

I'm not sure what you mean by the Doctor "remaining" an asexual geek? He was married to River, and a sexual relationship was implied, if not spelt out. :confused: