Doctor/Clara romance in series 8?

Comments

• claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been a LOT of subtext hints that there's something romantic between them throughout the series. Probably the most obvious was his speech in Hide where he was talking about it being a love story, not a ghost story. That was a clear and obvious analogy of their story.

Not to mention that they've eliminated all the obstacles - he's said goodbye to River, he's not suspicious of Clara any more, she knows nearly everything about him, she's been 'enhanced' by the memories of all her lives so she has some empathy for him...

Jenna said they've been bonded by this experience and are much closer after what has happened here.

That being said, I always rather got the feeling that Moffat wasn't a fan of the way Ten and Rose was handled and it'd be nothing like that. It'd be much more subtle. We're not going to get 'the adventures of the Doctor and his girlfriend'. I wouldn't be surprised if its clear that they love each other in a romantic way though.
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought in hide he was referring to the two other characters being in love not himself?

just shoot me now if these two get together
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This series has been about The Doctor and Clara finding who each other are. With them discovering this, particularly now the Doctor is calling her "his Clara" not to mention various hints it's over between him and River (lots of references to her being in the past, he even called her an ex) as well as that emotional goodbye, could all this pave the way for the Doctor and Clara becoming more intimate in series 8, not necessarily explicit as that's not Moffat's style but still? Thoughts?
    The Doctor and Clara seem to have a mutual affection for each other which is nice:D but a proper romance may change the dynamics. River and The Doctor had a thing going on and in a way they will always be together, however far and together in 'electric' dreams.:D
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ancalagon wrote: »
    In my honest opinion, people that say Clara now has nowhere else to go have no imagination.
    So her special story has been wrapped up, so? She is now a companion then with as much "point" if you like, as Rose,Martha etc- simply just to be a female companion.

Also to all the fanboys who don't want the Doctor to have a romance - lol Why? For heavens sake- one assumes time lords procreated at one point- it's only natural that the doctor would have feelings now and again.

Of course; in the first programme, the Doctor had a granddaughter with him, Susan; but not with humans.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also to all the fanboys who don't want the Doctor to have a romance - lol Why? For heavens sake- one assumes time lords procreated at one point- it's only natural that the doctor would have feelings now and again.

Time Lords are an alien species only resembling humans in external appearance. Why should they be sexually attracted to humans?

Also, barring accidents, they can live for millennia, so I would suggest the need for regular procreation is not that much of a priority to them.

Anyway, when the do procreate, how do we know that they don't do it in a completely different way? It could be sexually, but they may have a "mating season", say, ever 500 years. They may even procreate asexually (I won't mention "looms". Oh dear, I just have).
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Yes but the Doctor has grown and developed feelings he does not think of humans as dogs clearly.

Indeed. In fact I would suggest that the very notion of thinking another sentient species are nothing more than dogs to him to be the sort of bigotry and xenophobic tendencies that the Doctor has been fighting against his whole life.

It's been made abundantly clear throughout the show that he has a great deal of admiration for humanity and the human spirit, in particular. In fact, the species he seems to have the most contempt for (outside the usual suspects of Daleks and Cybermen etc) are the Time Lords!

Besides, he's half-human don't you know :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I'm fine with a romance between the Doctor and Clara, especially if the latter retains the memories of every other incarnation (especially the Gallifrey-raised one) . . . although she must have quite a headache.

Two important points:
    1) it's all about time-travel: they could go off, have a romance, children who grow up to have children, etc., and both be back for tea in a flash;
    2) the Doctor faces two choices as the last Time-Lord: procreate, or go extinct. Before the Time War, it was not a problem. Now it is.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously? Have you just plucked this out of nowhere? People are obsessed with Matt leaving- I really don't know why- there is nothing concrete or official in anyway that suggests he is leaving after series 8

As I said in the bit you highlighted 'If it's true'. It was a passing comment in regards to frequent rumours.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind it actually as long it wasn't twee or obstructive to other plot lines.

But didn't River say that Clara would die if she jumped into his time thingamajig? That all the other versions of Clara would just be copies or echoes of herself? Wouldn't it be like falling in love with a ghost?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind it actually as long it wasn't twee or obstructive to other plot lines.

But didn't River say that Clara would die if she jumped into his time thingamajig? That all the other versions of Clara would just be copies or echoes of herself? Wouldn't it be like falling in love with a ghost?

He did already fall in love with a ghost.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    There have been a LOT of subtext hints that there's something romantic between them throughout the series. Probably the most obvious was his speech in Hide where he was talking about it being a love story, not a ghost story. That was a clear and obvious analogy of their story.

But equally, when he said those things, he removed his arm from round Clara. And in Nightmare in Silver, he convinced Clara that he was the real Doctor by explaining why he didn't find her attractive.
  • Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definately not. I really can't see Clara and the Doctor falling for each other. I think the characters are just friends.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is she signed on for season 8 ?
    Forum Member
    Torry_Z wrote: »
    He did already fall in love with a ghost.

Well yes exactly that was sort of my point and River's too. Would he want to go through that again?
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But equally, when he said those things, he removed his arm from round Clara. And in Nightmare in Silver, he convinced Clara that he was the real Doctor by explaining why he didn't find her attractive.

Yes he did the 'talking about Clara, hugging Clara...arggh! Feelings!' face several times throughout the series. He does feel something for her and he's a bit confused by it :D

Also the cyber planner wouldn't have been able to talk about those emotions if the Doctor wasn't feeling them - the cybermen have no emotions. We know he thinks she's pretty because he agreed with Emma when she said so ;) I also believe it comes up in She Said, He Said.

Seriously, there's a LOT of very deliberate subtext written between the two but it has been done in such a way though that it's not in your face - which is good!
    Forum Member
    And in Nightmare in Silver, he convinced Clara that he was the real Doctor by explaining why he didn't find her attractive.

Did you really take those comments at face value?

I think it was made obvious that it's something he wouldn't admit to rather than him not finding her attractive ... which let's be perfectly honest is quite unlikely (regardless of whether he's romantically inclined or not).
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you really take those comments at face value?

I think it was made obvious that it's something he wouldn't admit to rather than him not finding her attractive ... which let's be perfectly honest is quite unlikely (regardless of whether he's romantically inclined or not).

Why is it quite unlikely that the Doctor doesn't find Clara attractive? You and I may find Clara attractive, because we're both human males, but the Doctor is an alien, so who's to say who or what he finds attractive?
  • KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was I the only one who liked Rose and 10 then? ha.

Although she did work best with 9.

Nope you're not the only one :). I often joke about it but no I thought Rose was brilliantly written as a companion and I completely believed in the Doctor's attachment to the woman who became his companion after the timewar and who saved him at one of his lowest points in TPOTW. And heck I even enjoyed Martha's unrequited love storyline as well, shock horror eh :eek:? Honestly sometimes a small group repeat the same things time and time again it looks like the majority opinion - it isn't. Alot of people liked the Doctor and Rose - you only have to look around the web to see that.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Yes but the Doctor has grown and developed feelings he does not think of humans as dogs clearly.

I don't know why people want him to remain an asexual geek- maybe cause most Dr Who fans, have not had much experience in the relationship department so it gives them someone to look up to ? :confused: I do find it very odd that you can SO opposed to a fictional character in a fictional show having a fictional relationship.... :confused:

Besides Oswin and Victorian Clara were intellectually sparring with the Doctor and they are just echo's of Clara- so I would say intellectually- she is a good match!

I'm not keen on the idea of having The Doctor as a romantic lead because it brings him too down to Earth. He is supposed to be this eccentric alien figure, who's not always familiar with human nature (remember the "texting and scones" line in TWORS? That was clearly intended to reflect on that very fact).

Giving The Doctor frequent romantic interests contrasts the very principle of his character, it makes him too similar to your average human being. I think it's quite enough that he can form such a strong friendship with his companions, like he did with Amy and Rory, and Donna before them. Anything else should be done very sparingly.

If I wanted a romantic storyline I would watch EastEnders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I wanted a romantic storyline I would watch EastEnders.
    When has Eastenders ever had a romantic storyline?:D
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    When has Eastenders ever had a romantic storyline?:D

Call it what you want, that sort of drama is best left in the soaps IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Romantic is the Doctor and River kiss. I have watched the goodbye part a few times :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok seeing as the splinters of Clara come from modern Clara then don't the feelings she has about the Doctor filtrate into her other versions? So Victorian Clara kissing the Doctor without provocation and the way both Clara and Oswin really flirted with the Doctor then doesn't this come from the real Clara? Yes Clara said she had to use the trick of not falling in love nearly twice a day so maybe she is talking about the Doctor?

Yes and as I said earlier the Doctor might have held back on anything he possibly feels because he didn't know who Clara was but he does now and she is extremely important to him after saving him.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember that River was talking with the Doctor through a psychic link with Clara. Whatever that may mean, she did tell him there were spoilers.

And Moffat said there would be a sort of romantic triangle with the three of them but not in the way we'd expect.
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time Lords are an alien species only resembling humans in external appearance. Why should they be sexually attracted to humans?

We don't even know if Time Lord and human equipment is physically and biologically compatible (putting The Curse of Fatal Death aside for the moment).