Doctor/Clara romance in series 8?

124»

Comments

• johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    neutralned wrote: »
    Agreed. I have enough of a problem with the fact that the modern dr continually picks up young girls to travel with, without him 'romancing' them as well. For a supposedly smart guy he doesn't really seem to like picking up smart people - the Russian professor, the Dougray Scott character, the Brigadier's granddaughter - wouldn't they all have been more intellectually stimulating than his normal choice of dolly bird?
    The modern companions are hardly dolly birds, but either way - the Doctor wants to travel with people that are 1) fun, 2) energetic and 3) not as smart as him. He thrives on being the know-it-all.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The modern companions are hardly dolly birds, but either way - the Doctor wants to travel with people that are 1) fun, 2) energetic and 3) not as smart as him. He thrives on being the know-it-all.

That's not really right though. He LOVES smart, intuitive companions. He delights in their intelligence. He loves to show them new things and bring them new experiences but he doesn't do it because he likes the chance to be smart - he does it because he loves to have someone to join in his excitement, to see the thrill of seeing something new through them.

He's also a show off at times and has massive hubris but it's always done with respect towards his companions.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member

That's interesting given that people have complained that Clara's too clever.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    That's not really right though. He LOVES smart, intuitive companions. He delights in their intelligence. He loves to show them new things and bring them new experiences but he doesn't do it because he likes the chance to be smart - he does it because he loves to have someone to join in his excitement, to see the thrill of seeing something new through them.

He's also a show off at times and has massive hubris but it's always done with respect towards his companions.

I agree, he's always liked the smart ones. They challenge him.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »

I agree with both of you here. It's completely in the nature of the Doctor to be both of a show off and a know-it-all. He loves having smart people in the TARDIS because he finds them intellectually stimulating but nevertheless, he does love to show he's still the most intelligent, even if only in a teasing way, like the constant banter with River about who is cleverer in Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone two-parter.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Clara and the Doctor don't need a romance.

They're just great friends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    May not "need" one but it's certainly happening.

1. Jealousy between Clara and River in the last episode.
    2. The Doctor's trouser twitch at the end of the Cybermen episode when talking about Clara in a tight skirt.
    3. The whole "my Clara" thing which I guess is more tenuous than the previous 2.

The whole thing could progress into a full blown relationship with River out of the way until Clara's gone which will inevitably happen.

Or they could just have the sexual tension without the actual "doing it" like most of X-Files...I mean they could do it but it wouldn't be the main story like it was with Rose and 10, it would just be 2 people in the Tardis getting the job done and at the end of episodes just go upstairs for a fumble.

Either that or the Doctor wants a 3-way with River and Clara but that's a whole other piece of fan fiction.
  • liliroselilirose Posts: 10,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated the romance with Rose but maybe because I don’t like Billie Piper.
    However I wouldn’t be adverse to a romance with Clara depending on how they write it.
    I haven’t watched Dr Who from the beginning but I have watched it since series 7. Clara and the doctor have a very special bond, unlike any of his other companions. She knows so much about him, has been a presence in his life for a much longer time than any of his other companions, it is much more intelligent and more his equal in that sense. Matt and JLC have fantastic chemistry so I can see the producers making use of it.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I agree with both of you here. It's completely in the nature of the Doctor to be both of a show off and a know-it-all. He loves having smart people in the TARDIS because he finds them intellectually stimulating but nevertheless, he does love to show he's still the most intelligent, even if only in a teasing way, like the constant banter with River about who is cleverer in Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone two-parter.

Yes, I should have made it clear that this is what I meant. The criteria I was listing was over-and-above the intelligence that the characters listed as examples displayed.

River is the closest thing to the Doctor - not as knowledgeable, but often more competent - and although he absolutely adores her, it irritates the heck out of him. Which works for them, I suppose.