Options

Rewind live tv - and then record

On my old Humax 9200, I used to be able to rewind live tv, and then hit the record button... and it would record from that position.

When I try this on my new Humax freesat box, it doesn't work. The box wants to only record from the 'live' position not the rewound posiiton.

Is this correct, and why ?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    thats the same as my virgin+ box they just cant record from delayed tv
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1warrior1 wrote: »

Thanks

Yes it is.. because thats how they were built unfortunately
  • Options
    TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1warrior1 wrote: »
    On my old Humax 9200, I used to be able to rewind live tv, and then hit the record button... and it would record from that position.

When I try this on my new Humax freesat box, it doesn't work. The box wants to only record from the 'live' position not the rewound posiiton.

For some values of 'correct', yes.

It was designed that way but why they couldn't just copy the blocks of data from the 'rewind' buffer to a named file is a bit of a mystery.

I suspect they needed to get the box out and didn't want to risk including anything that might be tricky or particularly hard to test.

Unfortunately I can't see a lot of this stuff being fixed in future updates otherwise there would be a lot of people who do not read forums who would have boxes whose behaviour suddenly changed to something that was at odds with the manual.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Tern wrote: »
    For some values of 'correct', yes.

It was designed that way but why they couldn't just copy the blocks of data from the 'rewind' buffer to a named file is a bit of a mystery.

I suspect they needed to get the box out and didn't want to risk including anything that might be tricky or particularly hard to test.

Unfortunately I can't see a lot of this stuff being fixed in future updates otherwise there would be a lot of people who do not read forums who would have boxes whose behaviour suddenly changed to something that was at odds with the manual.

I hope this is going to be resolved, this was a standard feature on the 9200 so surely achieveble on the HDR?

Woolynorm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woolfynorm wrote: »
    I hope this is going to be resolved, this was a standard feature on the 9200 so surely achieveble on the HDR?

I would imagine some bugs; this one, refusing to honour commands when the info bar is displayed (:rolleyes:), refusing to turn subtitles on/off when timeshifting and gratuitously unpausing a playback when guide is selected will be correctable (if Humax can be bothered).

Others which would involve variation of menu ordering or other aspects mentioned in the manual would be much harder to sort out for the reason mentioned above.

They are certainly taking one hell of a long time with this update - I hope that doesn't imply a lot of effort being expended on some fancy-pants addition that will only be used by a tiny minority.

Give us immaculate PVR funtionality first!
  • Options
    justmegtjustmegt Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not being able to record rewound live TV is a pain in the neck., such a simple and desirable option. Please fix it Humax.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    justmegt wrote: »
    Not being able to record rewound live TV is a pain in the neck., such a simple and desirable option. Please fix it Humax.

I have to say it doesn't affect me because I simply do not watch live TV.

I consider the Humax as a reservoir of entertainement that I can watch as and when I wish.

As well as that it has facilities for topping up that reservoir.

Obviously, though, this should be fixed because a lot of people would like the facility and there is no valid technical reason not to provide it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Tern wrote: »
    I have to say it doesn't affect me because I simply do not watch live TV.

I consider the Humax as a reservoir of entertainement that I can watch as and when I wish.

As well as that it has facilities for topping up that reservoir.

Obviously, though, this should be fixed because a lot of people would like the facility and there is no valid technical reason not to provide it.

Where I have found this useful is if you happen to have the TV on and a good programme comes on which you "get into" this enables you to rewind the buffer and capture the entire programme. But that said, I haven't used it much because like you other than in the morning we don't watch live TV, just chose what we want to watch, then watch it at our pleasure and not that of the TV company. Can't imagine going back to the old days!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Far more irritating is the flushing of the timeshift buffer when a scheduled recording starts.

SWMBO - "What's hppened to the end of Coronation street? I paused it because the phone rang, then started to watch it again and at 8 o'clock it stoppe playing back."

It's the sort of thing which can get a box thrown out of the window....
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far more irritating is the flushing of the timeshift buffer when a scheduled recording starts.

Hi pvr101novice I've just tried to replicate this and it worked fine for me. How many feeds are you using ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi pvr101novice I've just tried to replicate this and it worked fine for me. How many feeds are you using ?

Hi GC,

I don't think it is quite as simple as "it works" or "it doesn't work" (when is it ever that simple? ;) )

Big_les & I are testing out Timeslipping whilst recording on the Freeview boxes 9200/9300 in this thread Here, from post #6 onwards.

We are coming to some early conclusions, and there appear to be at least 1 difference between the two boxes, but we aren't finished yet.

I saw pvr101novice's post, but I haven't got round to testing the various scenarios where it might/might not work on the HDR yet. Although I do replicate most of my "Freeview Timers" on the HDR (belts & braces), we usually only watch HD progs, and SD progs where the 9300 AR may have missed a few seconds from the start, on the HDR (Mainly because the ITV Freeview picture is higher res/better quality).

Which scenario did you get to work?

Rgds.

Les.