Why do people not like Dawn French?

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then she made some statements about being completely happy with her weight (happier than she'd ever be whilst slim) and I just don't believe her. She is getting bigger and bigger and I think she has a serious problem but she won't admit it and perpetuates the myth of 'fat and happy'. Am sure there are fat and happy people but she is not one of them.

WTF?!?

First off... go and google Fat Acceptance. There is no myth of "Fat and Happy" to perpetuate.

Secondly... what evidence is there that Dawn is lying? Lets face it with her money and fame it would be very very easy for her to 'Do a Fern' and have surgery or a personal trainer or a personal chef if she secretly wanted to loose weight. Some people just don't think that physical appearance is the be all and end all :rolleyes:
  • polkadottydresspolkadottydress Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dawn is great :D
  • crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    GerriP wrote: »
    WTF?!?

First off... go and google Fat Acceptance. There is no myth of "Fat and Happy" to perpetuate.

Secondly... what evidence is there that Dawn is lying? Lets face it with her money and fame it would be very very easy for her to 'Do a Fern' and have surgery or a personal trainer or a personal chef if she secretly wanted to loose weight. Some people just don't think that physical appearance is the be all and end all :rolleyes:

I think people who are chonically and life-threateningly overweight cannot possibly be happy. They're using food as an addiction to the point of it being deadly dangerous. They need to learn how to love and accept themselves in order to break that cycle. That doesn't give anyone the right to go around verbally abusing or insulting them but thank goodness our UK society has skipped this USA insanity of Big is Beautiful and Fat Acceptance. It's no more 'acceptable' than any other life threatening addiction and it'l destroy your heart, arteries, gall bladder, hip and knee joints, give you serious diabetes, do your back in permanently, far more quickly than say, regularly smoking heroin or drinking heavily.

I put on a lot of weight in the last few years - nowhere near the amount of DF and I feel awful, it's terrible, I've gone from being athletically fit to struggling to find clothes, I feel sluggish, lethargic, and have difficulty walking comfortably let alone doing things like climb step ladders or walk on the heath, forget about they gym, going skiing, diving, all the things I used to do. The only reason I got fat was through compulsive eating as a result of chronic depression. I'm now a size 18-20 and yes I'm now on a very strict diet. I do not believe someone who is twice as fat as me and at least a foot shorter can be anywhere near happy or accepting of themselves. It isn't an 'acceptable' life situation and if anyone loved someone chronically overweight they'd do an intervention in the same way as you would if they were smoking crack.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Whoever else can tolerate her mugging and smirking, I can't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    I didnt mean to start a big riot:o
  • crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    I didnt mean to start a big riot:o

O you can't just wriggle out of it that easily. You're grounded for the whole of xmas and new years.
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    Blamhappy2 wrote: »
    It's odd because Vicar of Dibley did well, and I thought it was brilliant, but there seems to be snobbery against it. I don't see why it can't be loved the same as other sweet programmes.

You put your finger on it right there with "Sweet"
    It felt like it was going backwards twenty years when it first started, generally Dawn French's fans were more "alternative" in their comedy taste. This played to the 7.30pm slot generally safe and family orientated, nothing shocking or outrageous so some fans felt let down.
    This was Dawn hitting middle age comediacly (is there such a word?)
    I don't think many people hate her at all but a lot of her original fans do not like VOD but she gained a whole new fanbase.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I like her :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    O you can't just wriggle out of it that easily. You're grounded for the whole of xmas and new years.

Does that mean a lump of coal from santa aswell? :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't hate her but she definitely makes me change channel.
    As far as I'm concerned, she isn't in the slightest funny and she does seem to have a pretty high opinion of herself.
    Hate is a pretty dirty word but I really can't fathom all this love for her.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noone is liked by everyone, surely? Not aware that Dawn is particularly unpopular...