Cameron and food banks

Comments

• Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    No you were trying to say that they should have vouchers so that they would not spend them on **** and booze, that is why you said what you did . Otherwise why bring it up. You then linked to a bbc page , as justification of what you said, that said nothing of the sort. .
    I could easily say that poor families don't need fast cars, caviar, silk clothes etc.
    What they need is money to survive, but you want them to go cap in hand to food banks etc.

ok. give them money. but if any of these starving families are still starving after being given money, they will get no sympathy from me. will they get sympathy from you? or more money?
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    Its up to people on benefits or low on oncomes in what theys spend money on, I am on jsa and have sky and b.t phone line,but I buy the tesco own brand,food so I can have them,whats,wrong with doing that,

you're right. there is nothing wrong with that. but this discussion is about STARVING FAMILIES. i say give them food vouchers so they definitely buy food. not booze and ****. you cannot eat ****.
    Ask Rastus, he wants to control what you spend your benefits on. If fact some people on here want benefits stopped altogether and for the poor to be reduced to surviving on charity hand outs.

no i do not want to control what people on benefits spend their money on. i want to have a system that ensures STARVING FAMILIES buy food, not booze and ****. you cannot eat ****.

It be so wrong,and lots of people on low incomes have sky and b.b so what would happeon to sky and b b companys,

lots of people on low incomes can spend their money on what they want. i have no issue with that. i do have an issue with STARVING FAMILIES buying non food items with extra money given to them.

is this too hard for some people to understand?
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    ok. give them money. but if any of these starving families are still starving after being given money, they will get no sympathy from me. will they get sympathy from you? or more money?

you're right. there is nothing wrong with that. but this discussion is about STARVING FAMILIES. i say give them food vouchers so they definitely buy food. not booze and ****. you cannot eat ****.

no i do not want to control what people on benefits spend their money on. i want to have a system that ensures STARVING FAMILIES buy food, not booze and ****. you cannot eat ****.

lots of people on low incomes can spend their money on what they want. i have no issue with that. i do have an issue with STARVING FAMILIES buying non food items with extra money given to them.

I am not starving and I am on jsa and have sky,
    I do it buying tesco own brands it saves,me £s
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

no i do not want to control what people on benefits spend their money on. i want to have a system that ensures STARVING FAMILIES buy food, not booze and ****. you cannot eat

Why are you still peddling this myth that starving families will spend their money on booze and ****. Do you have a link as to how big this problem is, or is it just you generalising as usual.
    Or do you just like the idea of the social control that food banks and vouchers promote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am not starving and I am on jsa and have sky,
    I do it buying tesco own brands it saves,me £s

Ricky could you edit this as it seems to give the idea that you are quoting me when you are not
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you still peddling this myth that starving families will spend their money on booze and ****. Do you have a link as to how big this problem is, or is it just you generalising as usual.
    Or do you just like the idea of the social control that food banks and vouchers promote.

i am not peddling a myth. i feel that vouchers would eliminate the possibility that some or just one (not all - i have not said ALL) starving FAMILIY(IES) may have the urge to buy non food items.

do you have a link that shows NO STARVING FAMILIES don't buy booze and ****?

i like the idea that food vouchers may just stop people dying of starvation. you want to give them money and hope they ALL spend it ALL on food.
  • jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    i am not peddling a myth. i feel that vouchers would eliminate the possibility that some or just one (not all - i have not said ALL) starving FAMILIY(IES) may have the urge to buy non food items.

i like the idea that food vouchers may just stop people dying of starvation. you want to give them money and hope they ALL spend it ALL on food.

I thought that people already had to get a voucher (of some sort) before they could get anything from a food bank
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the clue is in the word starving.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Sounds like all your trying to do is humiliate people Make (someone) feel ashamed and foolish by injuring their dignity and self-respect,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So you want to punish all starving families for what you think, nay believe, could possibly, sometimes, maybe happen. Good for you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jassi wrote: »
    I thought that people already had to get a voucher (of some sort) before they could get anything from a food bank

they possibly do. but i would have thought a food bank supplies food and not booze and ****.
    I think the clue is in the word starving.

thats my whole point. some people have mentioned low incomes etc to my posts. i have always kept on topic by mentioning starving families. one person is not listening to me. *points at auld snody.
    tim59 wrote: »
    Sounds like all your trying to do is humiliate people Make (someone) feel ashamed and foolish by injuring their dignity and self-respect,

how? please explain.
    if as has been pointed ourt above, that people may need vouchers for access to a food bank, then how am i making them feel ashamed. i await your explanation.
    So you want to punish all starving families for what you think, nay believe, could possibly, sometimes, maybe happen. Good for you

how is giving STARVING FAMILIES food vouchers, punishing them?
    you have a wierd way of thinking just to try to prove your point.
  • jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    they possibly do. but i would have thought a food bank supplies food and not booze and ****

I though it was food vouchers you were advocating. Are you suggesting that some people should only get vouchers and no actual money?
    Forum Member
    they possibly do. but i would have thought a food bank supplies food and not booze and ****.

thats my whole point. some people have mentioned low incomes etc to my posts. i have always kept on topic by mentioning starving families. one person is not listening to me. *points at auld snody.

how? please explain.
    if as has been pointed ourt above, that people may need vouchers for access to a food bank, then how am i making them feel ashamed. i await your explanation.

how? please explain.
    By making people stand in a super market handing over food vouchers, instead of cash like everyone else is doing , its like saying look at me, I am on welfare. People deserve to be treated the same
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jassi wrote: »
    I though it was food vouchers you were advocating. Are you suggesting that some people should only get vouchers and no actual money?

i am in favour of staving families being given food vouchers and not extra money, as auld snody would prefer. i would not want to take the chance of one person dying of starvation when they have spent their extra money on non food items such as booze and ****.
    By making people stand in a super market handing over food vouchers, instead of cash like everyone else is doing , its like saying look at me, I am on welfare. People deserve to be treated the same

one of my best friends at school used to have free school dinners. his dinner ticket was a different colour to ours. yet no-one bullied him, nor made him feel ashamed (i am going back to the early 80's).

when people go to food banks does it look like they are saying look at me i'm on welfare? no it doesn't. it looks like they are using a charitable service and there is no shame in that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

how? please explain.

Why do you want people to have vouchers , redeemable at only certain places, as against money , redeemable anywhere. Also they have choice and are treated as people rather than as charity cases. Why do you want to demean people who are starving?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am in favour of staving families being given food vouchers and not extra money, as auld snody would prefer. i would not want to take the chance of one person dying of starvation when they have spent their extra money on non food items such as booze and ****.

one of my best friends at school used to have free school dinners. his dinner ticket was a different colour to ours. yet no-one bullied him, nor made him feel ashamed (i am going back to the early 80's).

when people go to food banks does it look like they are saying look at me i'm on welfare? no it doesn't. it looks like they are using a charitable service and there is no shame in that.

Except they are looked down on by the food bank workers,, etc.
    What happens when someone's face does not fit.? Someone starves because you and your ilk are so obsessed with them using their benefit money for something you disapprove of. A bit control freakery, if you ask me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you want people to have vouchers , redeemable at only certain places, as against money , redeemable anywhere. Also they have choice and are treated as people rather than as charity cases. Why do you want to demean people who are starving?

ive already daid why i want STARVING FAMILIES to have vouchers. if you're too ignorant or blind to read my reasons than thats your problem.

who says they have to be redeemable at only certain places? not me.
    how are vouchers demeaning? when someone cuts vouchers out of magazines for 10 pence off this product or 50 pence off that product, are they demeaned when they hand them over? no they aren't.
    Except they are looked down on by the food bank workers,, etc.
    What happens when someone's face does not fit.? Someone starves because you and your ilk are so obsessed with them using their benefit money for something you disapprove of. A bit control freakery, if you ask me

if food bank workers look down on them, then they should be ashamed of themselves and the management should reprimand those members of staff.

me and my ilk? who are my ilk then?

your point here - "Someone starves because you and your ilk are so obsessed with them using their benefit money for something you disapprove of" sums you up nicely. you'd rather someone starve just to get your point across. who's the nasty one here? you or me?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive already daid why i want STARVING FAMILIES to have vouchers. if you're too ignorant or blind to read my reasons than thats your problem.

how are vouchers demeaning? when someone cuts vouchers out of magazines for 10 pence off this product or 50 pence off that product, are they demeaned when they hand them over? no they aren't.

if food bank workers look down on them, then they should be ashamed of themselves and the management should reprimand those members of staff.

your point here - "Someone starves because you and your ilk are so obsessed with them using their benefit money for something you disapprove of" sums you up nicely. you'd rather someone starve just to get your point across. who's the nasty one here? you or me?

Nobody is going to starve. That is the point I was making before, if you are truly starving you will buy food. You just need to see some of those pictures of the poor in other countries rummaging through rubbish tips looking for anything to eat. They are starving, they aren't looking for booze or ****.

The system was working fine before and I'm not aware of masses of people on benefits starving in the past because they chose to spend all their money on anything other than food.

This all really comes from the false propaganda that people on benefits live a life of luxury and spend all their money on drink and tobacco. It's shameful that so many intelligent people seem to fall for it every time.
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody is going to starve. That is the point I was making before, if you are truly starving you will buy food. You just need to see some of those pictures of the poor in other countries rummaging through rubbish tips looking for anything to eat. They are starving, they aren't looking for booze or ****.

The system was working fine before and I'm not aware of masses of people on benefits starving in the past because they chose to spend all their money on anything other than food.

This all really comes from the false propaganda that people on benefits live a life of luxury and spend all their money on drink and tobacco. It's shameful that so many intelligent people seem to fall for it every time.

Indeed it is a ridiculous, prejudiced and ill informed opinion to say otherwise. I wish the people on here that keep spouting this nonsense would find out what the fact really are instead of just parroting the same old crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You have this Daily Mail fed idea that starving people are wasting your money on booze and **** rather than spend it on food. How do I know, you keep bringing it up. . You really need to understand what benefits are, what they do and what they are there for. Rather than your slightly skewed right wing view of how the poor should be treated. You and your ilk are exactly why things should not be left to charities. I could imagine some poor person coming up against you , if you were on a charity committee , and the hoops they would have to jump through , to your satisfaction, to get charity. .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Indeed it is a ridiculous, prejudiced and ill informed opinion to say otherwise. I wish the people on here that keep spouting this nonsense would find out what the fact really are instead of just parroting the same old crap.

what are the facts then?

it can't be anything to do with the conversation between me and auld snody - we were both airing our opinions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what are the facts then?

it can't be anything to do with the conversation between me and auld snody - we were both airing our opinions.

That is because you can produce no facts to back up your beliefs. Some figures would be nice. Otherwise it just seems, to me and to others, that you are just following the right wing agenda of demonising the poor. You brought it up , so you back it up with some facts.
    Forum Member

Strange how now schools use a credit card system that is the same even if your on free school means, no one stands out at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange how now schools use a credit card system that is the same even if your on free school means, no one stands out at all.

You would think that they are trying not to stigmatise people
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member

Are you speaking from experience? if not how do you know what it feels like to the recipients, have you ever seriously discussed it with them or been involved in helping at a food bank?
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    david camorn is so out of touch with the real world living, he is one of the biggest bankers ,going