Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    They got to the airport pretty quickly, but where is the nearest airport, Exeter or Bristol? which aren't very close to Cornwall?

It was filmed at Newquay airport, 24-25 miles from Port Isaac, according to google maps.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    It was filmed at Newquay airport, 24-25 miles from Port Isaac, according to google maps.

I didn't know there was one? do they fly to Spain and Portugal? Ryanair probably call it London.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know there was one? do they fly to Spain and Portugal? Ryanair probably call it London.:rolleyes:

No idea if in reality there are flights from Newquay to Spain or Portugal. Here's their website.

http://www.newquaycornwallairport.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that Aunt Joan's clock was on the mantle behind Louisa in the breakfast scene (in the consulting room) in E7? Seems an interesting decision, since we have only ever seen the clock open and being worked on. Does this mean he has finished the repair of the clock? Knowing this show, there has to be some meaning there. I also thought it odd that Martin mentioned to his mother that the clock could be valuable - the only thing of value that Aunt Joan had. (We know there was an estimate a bit ago of her farm being worth £600,000)

What if Martin throws mummie dearest out and she decides to steal the clock? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I guess I must be a fanatic........but we all know that already! ;)

Well, Shop Girl, your crystal ball is in fine working condition. Your prediction came true. Your prize is...

a clock! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CABINET wrote: »
    I wonder if one of you superfans can answer a question for me.

I only watched the first two or three series of this show but have enjoyed watching this most recent one.

How on earth has this child come about :confused: Even though they are now married they don't seem to be able to talk properly to each other and he doesn't seem to drink anything stronger than water (or maybe coffee?) so I assume the traditional "got drunk and ended up in bed" scenario doesn't apply.

In series 3, the morning after Martin proposed to Louisa, they woke up together in Louisa's bedroom. After that, in the interlude between the proposal and the non-wedding, we know they spent some nights together.

It's true though that they don't seem able to talk properly to each other, just one of their problems as a couple and one of the things Martin will have to work on if he follows through on his plan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    ggo85 wrote: »
    The final line "You're my patient. And my wife." can be read in so many ways. Note how he puts his patient first . . . always has and always will and that is something LG will have to deal with if she stays. He also says, "You ARE my wife." That suggests permanence. Or could be read as simply a statement of the present state of affairs.

[/QUOTE

No, not for me...

IMHO

I heard ' ...and my WIFE ' - that's permanent

He knows that Louisa may not remember what he has said

But he needed to say it for himself - hence, no looking back as he marched out in his usual brisk style - he is moving forward; he is not going to give up without a fight

I am convinced there will be a Series 7; MC found a fresh acting challenge in this series

Go Doc !

I heard it that way too, but when I re-watch I will pay close attention. Good point that although Louisa may not remember, he said things he needed to say and asked for her help so he can learn, which hearkens back to JH's birth. The thing is, she needs to know that he asked for her help. It is TV, so I guess we can assume she'll remember (but in reality, no way!) or that he will tell her again at some point between this episode and S7.

Yes, I believe there will be a S7. In fact, MC has intimated that there will be a S7 (got to feed the horses, that kind of thing).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Penhale was far less obnoxious and caricatured tonight, wasn't he? Even despite the silly costume.

We saw him in hero mode once again, like in S5 when he came through and got rid of the loan sharks. I much prefer this incarnation of Penhale over the cartoon version. I guess the fact that he's usually just plain goofy makes his occasional moments of capability and heroism more remarkable. I just wish in S7 they would modify this character a bit.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea if in reality there are flights from Newquay to Spain or Portugal. Here's their website.

http://www.newquaycornwallairport.com/

Doesn't look as if they fly to Spain or Portugal.
  • akanippyakanippy Posts: 134
    Forum Member

what a feeble ending. Do you think they are trying to milk another series out of DM?
  • akanippyakanippy Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    what a feeble ending. Do you think they are trying to milk another series out of DM?
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In series 3, the morning after Martin proposed to Louisa, they woke up together in Louisa's bedroom. After that, in the interlude between the proposal and the non-wedding, we know they spent some nights together.

It's true though that they don't seem able to talk properly to each other, just one of their problems as a couple and one of the things Martin will have to work on if he follows through on his plan.

Thanks for this. I guess it was only two series that I watched then since I don't remember the proposal or non-wedding.

I do think that the writers seem to have boxed themselves into a corner with his character though. It seems incredible to me that after all these series they still act as strangers to each other.

I can understand that he might have a thing for her (even if he struggles to articulate it) but what on earth would be his appeal for her after all this time with no real development in their relationship.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Shop Girl, your crystal ball is in fine working condition. Your prediction came true. Your prize is...

Yay! I want THAT clock! ;)

I thought this last episode was quite different than the final episode from any previous series. Martin had his epiphany early in the episode and not in the the last five minutes. He also had that ephiphany without the benefit of a scare (car accident, kidnapping). The scare happened as he was making plans to go after her, and I like that he wasn't going to try to run after her and stop her getting on the plane (which we now know he had time to do). He was letting her go to Spain and following her there the next morning (and perhaps having the long weekend she desired?) (Plus - how about "Action Doc"? Just get me to southern Spain and I will do the rest!) He asked Louisa for help instead of just declaring that he was wrong. There was no wrapping it up with a bow like we hoped, but a hopeful ending with lots to accomplish in S7 and not just watching to see if "Happily Ever After" works out for them. We can now expect to see those conversations we have hoped for for so long. We can now expect to see him learning about how to act like a husband (touching, glances across a crowded room). We can now expect to see him try even harder to be a good husband in social situations (that should provide the writers loads of ammunition for comic relief). And there is lots to look forward to from Aunt Ruth & Al, Al & Morwenna, Bert & Jenny. Never before have we ended a series with so much clear direction for the next series. Can't wait!

And as for Martin's attempt to find a physical cause for his problems. I don't have Mona's or Mofromco's expertise as a doctor, and I have never had any serious emotional problems, but I have to believe that even a smart guy like Martin would have a difficult time coming to terms with such deep emotional problems. I'm sure he would recognize these problems in a patient much more easily than recognizing them in himself. He had to have a mirror thrown up in front of him, and much like the fishmonger in S5, Aunt Ruth provided that mirror. He took it much more seriously his time because Aunt Ruth is his family, knows more than he does about he roots of his problems (apparently something happened around age 5), and is a mental health professional. Plus, as we all know, you can't really take advantage of help until you are ready to accept it. The fishmonger provided some help to move him at the end of S5, but he hadn't sought that help yet so it didn't really stick.

Yes, the more hours I get from the end of the finale, the more amazing I see the whole vision of S6 (and S7). I was enjoying the ride and BP didn't let me down.

Oh - and another thing. I have to say that Martin broke my heart for most of the episode. The tears from him in the bathroom! For a minute I thought that Louisa had died. Thank goodness the very next scene showed her sitting up in bed! Another heartbreaking moment was when he picked up the toy from the stairs. That one really got to me - especially because it had a smiley face looking up at Martin. And so symbolic that instead of just setting it down on a table, or carrying it into the living room or kitchen to put with other toys, he stuffed it into his pocket as he strode into the kitchen to have the showdown with his mother. Almost like a little comfort/security blanket - something that he never got from his parents, but got in spades from his young son.

About the only time he wasn't breaking my heart was in the scene when he was dressed in the scrubs and quizzing the surgeon. My did he look capable - and yummy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    The medical veracity in the episode was seriously lacking so the next time you are in an Operating Theatre do not imitate what you saw in the scenes. It doesn't bother me because when watching TV, movies etc. it becomes very clear to me whether to take the presentation as realistic or not. The OR dramatization of sclerosing Louisa's AVM was totally bogus. He touched Louisa's cheek which broke scrub...he must have pulled his mask down to barf and went back to the table..which broke scrub. I would have thought her head would have been immobilized because threading the catheter through blood vessels would be exacting work. Maybe it would be SOP for the patient to go home so soon after that surgery..I'm not a surgeon..but I wouldn't want MY patient to go home that soon. So..in a word..it was a bogus representation all the way around.

(I wonder if they broke the medical show law? That Martin..he's so funny)
    conchie wrote: »
    As if a doctor, surgeon or NOT, who has not operated in a few years would A. be allowed just walk into the theatre of a hospital where he is not even on staff B. proceed to perform a delicate and dangerous procedure while suffering a blood phobia, and C... perform it on his WIFE !!! I won't even elaborate on just puking up in the corner of theatre and returning to the table, not as much as a change of mask, never mind re-scrubbing !!

I work for a Surgeon, and let me tell you this is actually bordering on science fiction !!
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    The dashing about did elevate my adrenaline and it was interesting to have DM do the surgery, which has already been noted would not be okay, (nor is it okay to lock someone in a closet and apparently have no one notice that someone is, no doubt, pounding and screeching to be let out right by the surgical theatre). Plus, having had brain surgery, after the prepatory Versed injection (or the British equivalent) you really cannot hold any type of real conversation and yes, LG would remember none of it. Unless, there is a PW effect floating around Truro Hospital!

I hope others agree this finale was enjoyable.

I admit I got a chuckle in the middle of all of the tense medical events as I watched E8 because I couldn't get MC's statement that by law in the UK medical shows must be accurate, unlike in the US where they "make things up". I'm not a medical professional and even I could see that some of what took place was bizarre and no way could it happen in reality. Funny description, conchie, that it bordered on science fiction.

It started with my question of how on earth did Martin end up about to assist the surgeon. And then how could the surgeon be so incompetent? And then how could the others in the operating room just simply accept DM's statement that he will perform the surgery? Aren't they thinking, "Who in the heck is this guy, especially when he then proceeds to walk up to the patient and start a conversation with her which clearly indicates he's her husband?

But, like many of us, I happily suspended my disbelief as I enjoyed the episode so much. There's been a theme running through this show that is finally being addressed. Is it possible for people to change? We've heard both AJ and AR (and others too, I think) say people can't change. Now AR says Martin can change, but it will take hard work, and finally he appears ready to face the reality that he needs to change. I couldn't help but think of his attempt in S3 to be friendly and nice, but he ended up being "smarmy", at least in Louisa's opinion. I've been waiting all this time for him to ask for her help. I think NewPark mentioned this too, that finally we got to hear the speech we've been waiting for.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aha. I thought I recognised that poor surgeon, although he might have felt at home in the cupboard.

Richard Dempsey, played Peter in the 1998 version of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was en route to Newquay by plane ( from London ) that Martin & Louisa met for the first time, in the very first few minutes, remember ?
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It started with my question of how on earth did Martin end up about to assist the surgeon. And then how could the surgeon be so incompetent? And then how could the others in the operating room just simply accept DM's statement that he will perform the surgery? Aren't they thinking, "Who in the heck is this guy, especially when he then proceeds to walk up to the patient and start a conversation with her which clearly indicates he's her husband?

That was totally ridiculous and couldn't possibly happen in real life.

I thought the series ended on a strange note. Why could Martin just tell Louisa that he loves her? That's all she wanted to hear. It was very annoying.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kudos to Shopgirl! You should get the clock. I noticed it but it was totally peripheral to my consciousness. You nailed it.

Just a few more comments. Doctor Ellingham would have had privileges at Truro Hospital. They also would have been aware he was a surgeon. He may have been quite well known because he would have to go and do rounds on his hospitalized patients so his credentials wouldn't have been the issue in the operating room. The change of surgeon would have been irregular and would have possibly been questioned, but maybe not. That young surgeon probably invited him to assist.

So, getting to do the surgery would not have been the problem. What they did in the surgery was far fetched as to some procedural issues. And no, there is no absolute denial to a relative doing surgery on another family member. It's avoided however, and I certainly wouldn't want to do it. In an emergency though.....
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    That was totally ridiculous and couldn't possibly happen in real life.

I thought the series ended on a strange note. Why could Martin just tell Louisa that he loves her? That's all she wanted to hear. It was very annoying.

There's a sense in which that's all along, at every turn, been what she wanted and needed to hear. Not sure, at this point, that she would feel it was enough. I think one of the reasons she was so sad throughout the episode was that she knows he loves her and it hurts her to hurt him, but she doesn't know what else to do. But maybe it would have helped to hear it.. I guess we'll see in S7.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I admit that for me Series 6 started with a bang, then I was disheartened by the slow slide into madness, sadness, and depression.

But I think Episode 8 was marvelous. Too many things to list, but all the acting was superb, the writing was just right, and we learned not to stick a nail in the fuse block.

Also, my MD wife says it is always a bad idea for any doctor to treat a family member, but I digress.

Once again Buffalo Pictures pulls off a miracle with this production, IMO.

On to Series 7, I am sure. No, no facts to put on the table, but ITV will see the large viewership and press on.

Rob
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Wow! What a finale! However, it didn’t feel like an ending to me, so I count on S7. They opened many doors.

Let the waiting begin!;)

I'm not quoting your entire post, but wanted to thank you for it. I agree completely, totally, and had almost exactly the same reaction.

It's going to be interesting as we wait and wonder during the two year gap. Will we see Martin in therapy with the person Ruth recommended to him? It's interesting to consider Ruth's statement that it will take hard work, probably harder for Martin than for most others, to change and heal. Or will we skip forward in time a few years? Will Martin and Louisa begin S7 separated or together, working through their problems? I have a distinct feeling that S7 will be "it", the series that wraps it all up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    There's a sense in which that's all along, at every turn, been what she wanted and needed to hear. Not sure, at this point, that she would feel it was enough. I think one of the reasons she was so sad throughout the episode was that she knows he loves her and it hurts her to hurt him, but she doesn't know what else to do. But maybe it would have helped to hear it.. I guess we'll see in S7.

Finally hearing the words made all the difference at the end of S5. It was what she had waited for. Unfortunately, Martin just wasn't able to back up his words with the behavior she needed from him. He tried, especially early on, but he failed, and then descended into a depression, which made it all worse for both of them.

Hey, NewPark, I can't find it now, but I know you have commented two or three episodes ago that the story was beginning to look like a two-series arc. You were so right! I'm not sure if this is good or bad in the impatience department. :p
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Yay! I want THAT clock! ;)

I thought this last episode was quite different than the final episode from any previous series. Martin had his epiphany early in the episode and not in the the last five minutes. He also had that ephiphany without the benefit of a scare (car accident, kidnapping). The scare happened as he was making plans to go after her, and I like that he wasn't going to try to run after her and stop her getting on the plane (which we now know he had time to do). He was letting her go to Spain and following her there the next morning (and perhaps having the long weekend she desired?) (Plus - how about "Action Doc"? Just get me to southern Spain and I will do the rest!) He asked Louisa for help instead of just declaring that he was wrong. There was no wrapping it up with a bow like we hoped, but a hopeful ending with lots to accomplish in S7 and not just watching to see if "Happily Ever After" works out for them. We can now expect to see those conversations we have hoped for for so long. We can now expect to see him learning about how to act like a husband (touching, glances across a crowded room). We can now expect to see him try even harder to be a good husband in social situations (that should provide the writers loads of ammunition for comic relief). And there is lots to look forward to from Aunt Ruth & Al, Al & Morwenna, Bert & Jenny. Never before have we ended a series with so much clear direction for the next series. Can't wait!

About the only time he wasn't breaking my heart was in the scene when he was dressed in the scrubs and quizzing the surgeon. My did he look capable - and yummy!

Sorry, Shop Girl, but your list of "We can now expect" has me a bit concerned. We were expecting most (if not all) of those things to happen in S6, but they didn't. After the last 3 seasons, I think we need to be careful about what we "expect" from a new season. MC has stated unequivocally many times that DM will "never be cured," and these last two seasons, I think, are proof that not only will he not be cured, but they have no intentions of allowing even minimal improvement. :cry:

But yes, he did look really "capable and yummy" in the scrubs! :D
    Forum Member
    Even though the last episode was enjoyable, as was the first one, the middle ones were still awful. I know a few on the Forum enjoyed the middle ones, and perhaps more were displeased but are so happy with the last they are going to sum up the season as wonderful, fantastic, and can't wait for the next season.

I wish I was feeling the same. But, for me, this season overall was quite disappointing, and so similar to S5, I wonder if this is the essential methodology of producers /writers creative forces from now on.

But, enjoying two episodes out of 8 for me is not a "good" season, especially when the big realization for DM is that he has "childhood issues", which we as fans have known for the past, well, 6 seasons.

Yes, I share your sentiments to a great extent. S6 felt to me like S5 on steroids. The S5 opener was so sweet, the S6 opener exceeded expectations. Then S5 went downhill, S6 had an avalanche. S5 ended with heroics by DM and declarations of love, S6 ended with heroics by DM and . . . pleas for help. Also let's not forget that the openers and closers of both seasons were written by the same writer.

I have a lot more thoughts about all this that are going to have to wait until later.
    Forum Member
    A point I raised earlier on (#319) in this thread. People seem to think he really is as (apart from me) no one commented on my suggestion. I thought he may have faked it for insurance like the 'canoe man'.

Those pair are low enough to do anything, especially as the mother couldn't decide when telling Martin if his father died from a stroke or a heart attack.

Terry, I alluded to this as well---check my post #477.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall, I'm happy Lothian wrote the episode. He is very good at mixing emotions, with action, and with a touch of light-heartedness.

The episode was certainly pack full of incidents and it was a showcase for the character of DM. Although I'm sad that AR had to give such clear narrative explanation for DM--it just seemed a bit made up--I'm sure it was helpful and it was perfectly timed to allow DM to stand up to his mother in such a marvelous way. The dashing about did elevate my adrenaline and it was interesting to have DM do the surgery, which has already been noted would not be okay, (nor is it okay to lock someone in a closet and apparently have no one notice that someone is, no doubt, pounding and screeching to be let out right by the surgical theatre). Plus, having had brain surgery, after the prepatory Versed injection (or the British equivalent) you really cannot hold any type of real conversation and yes, LG would remember none of it. Unless, there is a PW effect floating around Truro Hospital!

Nonetheless, I suppose if we learned that deep down DM felt that he was unlovable and created a situation and an emotional downfall to push LG away (oddly after having had four good months with her), so he could learn he is lovable and he will use LG's guidance to be a better husband, that's good, I suppose. Not sure it was worth all the middle episodes we had to trudge through, though.

I hope others agree this finale was enjoyable.

Yes, absolutely, a very enjoyable conclusion to S6. It's a little ironic that Jack Lothian seems to be the writer who best "gets it", gets the emotions right, understands the characters, and who knows how to bookend a series best, yet he's the one who was demonized at the end of S3. He's written the concluding episode for the last four seasons, hasn't he?

Like you, I enjoy episodes with lots of "dashing about" (great way to describe it), and lots of action and movement.

Not sure I agree with your sadness about AR having to give Martin a clear narrative explanation. I think it's what he had to have. He's been in denial for most of his life and when he came to Ruth in desperation, he was most open and ready to receive the advice she had to give. But we know Doc doesn't do subtle. She had to clearly spell it out for him. It worked. It was in that scene that Martin's outlook and the mood of the episode changed and it's why we had hope rather than pure sadness at the end.

I'm glad you enjoyed the finale. Lothian is really, really good at this.
This discussion has been closed.