Options

Steve Coogan on the pressures of acting and involvement with Hacked Off etc.

IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
Forum Member
✭✭
I thought this was an interesting interview and thought it may be worth posting here if anyone is interested:- http://www.channel4.com/news/steve-coogan-philip-seymour-hoffman-phone-hacking-video

Warning:- the video includes discussion of the (true) story of the movie Philomena, which could be seen as spoilers to some, if you were wanting to watch it and didn't know the full story then you might want to skip the first maybe 10 minutes or so.

Comments

• Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that- very interesting. Coogan gets alot of flack, for some reason, but always comes across as intelligent and thoughtful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    Thanks for that- very interesting. Coogan gets alot of flack, for some reason, but always comes across as intelligent and thoughtful.

Your welcome. I meant to add more the OP but somehow forgot. I posted this about it when I shared the link on my FB:-

Talking about Philip Seymour Hoffman, you seem to get the idea that he finds it perhaps almost distasteful that the media talks so much about such people when they die due to, or potentially due to, addiction/substance abuse. I'd like to think its pretty well known that not just those who are well known succomb to their addictions. I suppose there will always be more talk and discussion of those more in the public eye when they have such tragic endings but I'd also like to hope that others who aren't so well known, aren't, entirely forgotten, for want of a better phrase... Coogan was/is friends with Owen Wilson too, right? he attempted suicide once but I don't think he had substance abuse issues...I could be wrong though. Its been a long time since I read up about him. As for Leveson, what's happening there? I don't see, or hear, much movement in terms of new self regulation, in fact I thought parliament shot down the recommended changes but is more going on behind the scenes? I guess I'd presumed that was all old news now...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coogan met the Pope today to talk about adoption files being released. I hope the Pope had done his homework and exclaimed "Aha!"
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had previously only seen him in comedy and hadn't appreciated what a great actor Steve Coogan is, until Philomena. Astonishingly good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had previously only seen him in comedy and hadn't appreciated what a great actor Steve Coogan is, until Philomena. Astonishingly good.
    He is. Which made Snow`s opening gambit rather annoying. Kudos to Steve for not punching him!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »

Coogan was/is friends with Owen Wilson too, right? he attempted suicide once but I don't think he had substance abuse issues...I could be wrong though. Its been a long time since I read up about him. ..
    I think he did - and certain elements of the press tried to pin the blame on Coogan. You can still find the article from the Daily Mail, "Coogan the Barbarian", which I think is the main reason he got involved with the Leveson enquiry. Really, Coogan`s had about the worse press it`s possible to get, it`s amazing how he`s turned everything arounsd in the past couple of years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he did - and certain elements of the press tried to pin the blame on Coogan. You can still find the article from the Daily Mail, "Coogan the Barbarian", which I think is the main reason he got involved with the Leveson enquiry. Really, Coogan`s had about the worse press it`s possible to get, it`s amazing how he`s turned everything arounsd in the past couple of years.

I remember reading something about it, that they were friends and had both dabbled with drugs but I don't remember any precise details. It sounded like the rumour was Coogan had been a bad influence but you have to take rumours with a pinch of salt(!).

Do you think people decided to portray him as a person badly because of his ficticious persona's oxbnoxiousness? (for want of a better term?) :confused:

I liked The Trip. I think I read recently that they might be making a second series of that?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading something about it, that they were friends and had both dabbled with drugs but I don't remember any precise details. It sounded like the rumour was Coogan had been a bad influence but you have to take rumours with a pinch of salt(!).

Do you think people decided to portray him as a person badly because of his ficticious persona's oxbnoxiousness? (for want of a better term?) :confused:

I liked The Trip. I think I read recently that they might be making a second series of that?.
    I`m not quite sure why Coogan was given such a rough ride by the press at one point. It`s certainly not because of Alan Partridge, because people love him! He obviously did some silly things in his private life, was found out, and didn`t deny it.Also, I think going to Hollywood and taking on a string of duff roles didn`t help him. Regarding the Owen Wilson story, Coogan says they hadn`t seen each other for months at the time of Wilson`s suicide attempt. I heard Coogan mention Owen Wilson in a recent interview, so they are still friends. Coogan`s had his own issues with cocaine, and I hope he`s sorted that out now. He certainly looks pretty together these days, with his new, "serious" hair-cut!:D
    Oh - and "The Trip to Italy" has already had its preview at the Sundance Festival!:)
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    Coogan met the Pope today to talk about adoption files being released. I hope the Pope had done his homework and exclaimed "Aha!"

Knowing me, Alan Partridge, Knowing you, Pope Francis. Aha!

Cone, but not forgotten, Alan....smell my cheese!:D

"Lynne, I've just impaled me foot on a spiiiiiiiike!"

.....Sorry got a bit of AP Tourette's just then! :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I`m not quite sure why Coogan was given such a rough ride by the press at one point. It`s certainly not because of Alan Partridge, because people love him! He obviously did some silly things in his private life, was found out, and didn`t deny it.Also, I think going to Hollywood and taking on a string of duff roles didn`t help him. Regarding the Owen Wilson story, Coogan says they hadn`t seen each other for months at the time of Wilson`s suicide attempt. I heard Coogan mention Owen Wilson in a recent interview, so they are still friends. Coogan`s had his own issues with cocaine, and I hope he`s sorted that out now. He certainly looks pretty together these days, with his new, "serious" hair-cut!:D
    Oh - and "The Trip to Italy" has already had its preview at the Sundance Festival!:)

Like Hamlet 2? I saw that when it was on BBC2 recently - I reckon if it came out a bit later, it could have done better. Glee started the year after that film was released. I remember both Wilson and Coogan were in the Night at the Museum movies too but I don't think I've seen any other movies he's done, oh apart from Alpha Papa I saw the other week. I can only remember the last Partridge series on BBC2 but that was quite a few years ago now - for some reason the quote 'I'll see you in Brussels my man!' stands out :D I'm reading the I, Alan Partridge memoir at the moment actually. Its quite amusing.

Hah, my hair gets a bit frizzy like his was shown in that old news footage, sometimes, so, yeah lol. Oh Italy? very nice :) I look forward to that.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch Steve Coogan anymore after hearing the political cr*p that he spouts.
  • Options
    Fiery PhoenixFiery Phoenix Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Heard an interview with Paddy McGuinnes on Manchester's Key 103 a while back - he said the worst person he ever met was Steve Coogan.

He was disappointed as he was a hero and they say never meet your heroes - which he said was true.

Said he talked right through him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard an interview with Paddy McGuinnes on Manchester's Key 103 a while back - he said the worst person he ever met was Steve Coogan.

He was disappointed as he was a hero and they say never meet your heroes - which he said was true.

Said he talked right through him

Well, that might just give you an indication of what Steve Coogan thinks of Paddy McGuinness! But, yes, there have always been people who say that Coogan just isn`t very nice - and that`s what has caused the bad press, and even what stalled his film career. Of course it`s this "Nasty Steve" image that he has satirised in "The Trip". I have no doubt that he has had his moments - he was very successful quite young, and cocaine is well-known for turning perfectly pleasant people into arse-holes.But he`s older now, and he does seem to have turned a corner. I do think that alot of AP`s social awkwardness is Coogan`s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that might just give you an indication of what Steve Coogan thinks of Paddy McGuinness! But, yes, there have always been people who say that Coogan just isn`t very nice - and that`s what has caused the bad press, and even what stalled his film career. Of course it`s this "Nasty Steve" image that he has satirised in "The Trip". I have no doubt that he has had his moments - he was very successful quite young, and cocaine is well-known for turning perfectly pleasant people into arse-holes.But he`s older now, and he does seem to have turned a corner. I do think that alot of AP`s social awkwardness is Coogan`s.

At a total guess, Paddy possibly has a different personality though? I've known people of different personalities who slammed me because they effectively didn't 'get' me and in person I can be pretty socially anxious. Some people expected me to be a certain way based on certain things then didn't take too well to how I came across after meeting up - its always awkward, that. Still, some people seem to interpret things in different ways I guess. That probably sounds really cryptic...hah.

I guess im lucky, the very few celebrities I've met (aka my favourite music group) have all seemed decent guys. I've yet to be disappointed but I suppose there's time left yet(!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At a total guess, Paddy possibly has a different personality though? I've known people of different personalities who slammed me because they effectively didn't 'get' me and in person I can be pretty socially anxious. Some people expected me to be a certain way based on certain things then didn't take too well to how I came across after meeting up - its always awkward, that. Still, some people seem to interpret things in different ways I guess. That probably sounds really cryptic...hah.

I guess im lucky, the very few celebrities I've met (aka my favourite music group) have all seemed decent guys. I've yet to be disappointed but I suppose there's time left yet(!).
    You make a very good point there- which is why I always take these "nasty celeb" stories with a pinch of salt. I am absolutely certain that if I were famous, there would be a long thread on here saying how unfriendly I am - when, in fact, I am lovely!:D
    I would imagine it`s quite likely that Paddy and Steve are polar opposites as personalities.
    Oh, and I recommend the "I, Partridge" audio-book - it`s wonderful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You make a very good point there- which is why I always take these "nasty celeb" stories with a pinch of salt. I am absolutely certain that if I were famous, there would be a long thread on here saying how unfriendly I am - when, in fact, I am lovely!:D
    I would imagine it`s quite likely that Paddy and Steve are polar opposites as personalities.
    Oh, and I recommend the "I, Partridge" audio-book - it`s wonderful.

Yes, plus everyone has off days. I've read stories from fans where some fans were disappointed and others were really happy with their encounter with the same person but on different days - it could depend on different things, if they'd just been on a really long haul flight and are quite cranky or something I guess? I'd be, I hate long flights lol some people take offence to how reserved I can be but others are very complimentary, it just depends I guess but anywhoo...its a bit of a weird image, mr 'no lighty no likey!' and him lol.

I looked up the app the book refers to but it costs and reviews seem to say you can get the audio clips *ahem* for free, so I didn't bother buying it.
  • Options
    Sho NuffSho Nuff Posts: 351
    Forum Member

He originally trained as an actor and then went down the comedy route with his impressions and voice work.
    I met him once and he was really nice and accommodating. I think he is one of only a few big stars who are not and never have been on any of the social media sites in an official capacity. He hasn't even got a website.
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, plus everyone has off days. I've read stories from fans where some fans were disappointed and others were really happy with their encounter with the same person but on different days - it could depend on different things, if they'd just been on a really long haul flight and are quite cranky or something I guess? I'd be, I hate long flights lol some people take offence to how reserved I can be but others are very complimentary, it just depends I guess but anywhoo...its a bit of a weird image, mr 'no lighty no likey!' and him lol.

I looked up the app the book refers to but it costs and reviews seem to say you can get the audio clips *ahem* for free, so I didn't bother buying it.

A friend of mine works in theatre and has encountered Ralph Fiennes twice - on one production he was a completely uninteresting and unexpressive person and the second time years later on a complete different production he was the life and soul of the party so yes people are definately different on different days and times of their lives.

I tend to look for trends with celeb encounters - there are so many nasty stories about Cilla Black that it almost impossible not to believe she is a deeply unpleasant person to deal with on the other hand some people emerge as nice people who are always pleasant to those whom work with them. Before you dismiss such accounts entirely there was a lot of talk about Saville on the 'nice and nasty celebs' thread here which touched on a what a predator he was before it became widely known after his death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sho Nuff wrote: »
    He originally trained as an actor and then went down the comedy route with his impressions and voice work.
    I met him once and he was really nice and accommodating. I think he is one of only a few big stars who are not and never have been on any of the social media sites in an official capacity. He hasn't even got a website.

That's interesting. Some would claim you'd be obsolete without some sort of interactive presence online, via a social network site or two. That's maybe more the case for younger celebrities though?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    A friend of mine works in theatre and has encountered Ralph Fiennes twice - on one production he was a completely uninteresting and unexpressive person and the second time years later on a complete different production he was the life and soul of the party so yes people are definately different on different days and times of their lives.

I tend to look for trends with celeb encounters - there are so many nasty stories about Cilla Black that it almost impossible not to believe she is a deeply unpleasant person to deal with on the other hand some people emerge as nice people who are always pleasant to those whom work with them. Before you dismiss such accounts entirely there was a lot of talk about Saville on the 'nice and nasty celebs' thread here which touched on a what a predator he was before it became widely known after his death.

Yes, I had no idea about the hatred towards Cilla until I came across this forum :o

All I'm saying is that often different people have different experiences when meeting celebs, everyone has days when they don't come across as well as others - your right about looking for a trend though. If everyone thinks someone isn't quite right and see's very similar things, have similar stories then maybe there's something there, that should be challenged or investigated but I haven't heard any really disturbing stories about him, that I can think of. I'm only a casual fan though I suppose. All I'd heard was he may have had issues with drugs and could be a bit of a bad influence, partygoer type I suppose, I certainly don't remember reading anything alluding to any abuse allegations or anything like that :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I had no idea about the hatred towards Cilla until I came across this forum :o

All I'm saying is that often different people have different experiences when meeting celebs, everyone has days when they don't come across as well as others - your right about looking for a trend though. If everyone thinks someone isn't quite right and see's very similar things, have similar stories then maybe there's something there, that should be challenged or investigated but I haven't heard any really disturbing stories about him, that I can think of. I'm only a casual fan though I suppose. All I'd heard was he may have had issues with drugs and could be a bit of a bad influence, partygoer type I suppose, I certainly don't remember reading anything alluding to any abuse allegations or anything like that :o

No, there are no abuse allegations about Steve Coogan, don`t worry.:)Most of the stuff about him - which the Daily Mail decided to dig up again yesterday for no legitimate reason whatsoever- is well over a decade old. The bad influence stuff was about Owen Wilson. Owen Wilson was a big boy and entirely responsible for his own actions. Courtney Love put the knife in. I think she said something like "no one knows who is over here" - a strange remark from someone who had clearly based her look on Pauline Calf! So, Hollywood wasn`t good for him. He doesn`t seem to do much "partying" now and, it`s true, he`s not on Twitter or Facebook. He seems quite shy to me, and I know how that can be mis-interpreted.There are some pictures of him with Philomena Lee, and it`s clear that she`s very fond of him.
    Here`s a link to a picture- hopefully without the stupid Daily Mail article it`s attached to. I just think the way she has her hand in his arm is really sweet.
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/06/article-2552913-1B3DD46300000578-345_634x761.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, there are no abuse allegations about Steve Coogan, don`t worry.:)Most of the stuff about him - which the Daily Mail decided to dig up again yesterday for no legitimate reason whatsoever- is well over a decade old. The bad influence stuff was about Owen Wilson. Owen Wilson was a big boy and entirely responsible for his own actions. Courtney Love put the knife in. I think she said something like "no one knows who is over here" - a strange remark from someone who had clearly based her look on Pauline Calf! So, Hollywood wasn`t good for him. He doesn`t seem to do much "partying" now and, it`s true, he`s not on Twitter or Facebook. He seems quite shy to me, and I know how that can be mis-interpreted.There are some pictures of him with Philomena Lee, and it`s clear that she`s very fond of him.
    Here`s a link to a picture- hopefully without the stupid Daily Mail article it`s attached to. I just think the way she has her hand in his arm is really sweet.
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/06/article-2552913-1B3DD46300000578-345_634x761.jpg

What's the link with Courtney Love? seems a little random. You hear quotes like that a lot. I think in a way you need a strong sense of identity and perhaps will power to live and deal with the atmosphere (for want of a better phrase?) in a place like Hollywood. A lot of people there probably have addiction problems of one kind or another (not every person but a lot of them). I never really knew what happened with Owen but it was a shame. Depression can be pretty awful. Sometimes you never really realise what's going on with people, it can be easy to hide things. I think his life has changed a fair bit since that happened, I used to follow the films he made but I haven't read up on him for a while. I seem to remember Kate Hudson has just dumped him or their relationship had ended just boefre then, so that was probably the catalyst but it was quite a few years ago now.

Well, I know all about being shy, that's for sure. People also talk about shy people finding it much easier to change their personality by hiding behind a fictional persona, so that kind of makes sense I guess. That's a nice photo, thanks for posting :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the link with Courtney Love? seems a little random. You hear quotes like that a lot. I think in a way you need a strong sense of identity and perhaps will power to live and deal with the atmosphere (for want of a better phrase?) in a place like Hollywood. A lot of people there probably have addiction problems of one kind or another (not every person but a lot of them). I never really knew what happened with Owen but it was a shame. Depression can be pretty awful. Sometimes you never really realise what's going on with people, it can be easy to hide things. I think his life has changed a fair bit since that happened, I used to follow the films he made but I haven't read up on him for a while. I seem to remember Kate Hudson has just dumped him or their relationship had ended just boefre then, so that was probably the catalyst but it was quite a few years ago now.

Well, I know all about being shy, that's for sure. People also talk about shy people finding it much easier to change their personality by hiding behind a fictional persona, so that kind of makes sense I guess. That's a nice photo, thanks for posting :)
    There is a link to a particularly lurid tabloid story in your in-box, should you choose to read it. No reason to go into it all on here again.:)