Options

Has HBO ever make a bad programme?

DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In the run up to Sky Atlantic starting, for me HBO stands for quality and TV programmes that wouldn't look out of place in the cinema (yeah I know it stands for Home Box Office before someone says :-p)

But have they made something that got panned Stateside or indeed anywhere else?

Do any of their programmes get cancelled after one season or even part way through?

PJ

Comments

• Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were they responsible for the early 90s comedy 'Dream On'? I really used to enjoy that as a young teen, although strictly on a 'not in front of mother' basis.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at the HBO schedule sometime. It's mostly bad shows or repeats.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    Have a look at the HBO schedule sometime. It's mostly bad shows or repeats.

:eek:
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    John from Cincinnati got panned.
  • Options
    Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear that despite the advert saying ZERO about it, that the 'free for all Sky customers' runs out in August when you have to start paying for it. (Sky's typical first catchy monkey)

Does anyone know how much more this will cost?
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sex and the city lol.
  • Options
    tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear that despite the advert saying ZERO about it, that the 'free for all Sky customers' runs out in August when you have to start paying for it. (Sky's typical first catchy monkey)

Does anyone know how much more this will cost?

It'll be in the variety pack, if you don't already have that it'll be an extra £1 a month for the pack.
  • Options
    Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be in the variety pack, if you don't already have that it'll be an extra £1 a month for the pack.

Really? Well that's OK then! :D

There can't be many who have sky who don't have the variety pack?
  • Options
    CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Ricky Gervais Show

Although it is funny sometimes, the comedy can hardly be accredited to the TV series. It's the laziest (and perhaps most brilliant idea profit-wise) thing I've seen in a while.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been many that were forgettable. But I'd rather have a channel where some of the content is brilliant and the rest terrible than a channel where all of it is equally mediocre. Nobody is going to force you to tune in for the stuff you don't like, so as long as some of the output is good then it's purely beneficial.
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sex and the city lol.

This X 10000

The most pointless, vapid TV show ever.
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <3 curb.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Comeback was cancelled after it's first season. It's hilarious though, and is one of the best HBO shows that I've watched.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Lucky Louie, Arliss and How To Make It In America (which will air on Sky Atlantic).
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    John from Cincinnati got panned.
    No, I think it got very mixed reviews. It regularly crops up on lists of good shows cancelled too soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    marrakech wrote: »
    The Comeback was cancelled after it's first season. It's hilarious though, and is one of the best HBO shows that I've watched.

The comeback was fantastic but it suited it better to be a stand alone season instead of dragging it out
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    little britain usa
  • Options
    wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    little britain usa
    Aaaaaaaand we have a winnnnnnnnnner!
    (with the proviso that this is in my opinion and that lots of people probably enjoyed it greatly)
    :)
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Alot of critics in the States rate AMC higher than HBO these days.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    Alot of critics in the States rate AMC higher than HBO these days.
    Which is fair enough given that they have the best show on TV, but it's premature. I'm sure AMC will have its fair share of missteps in time.
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    little britain usa
    Oh god yes, that was awful. Hard to believe that HBO funded that shit.
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Which is fair enough given that they have the best show on TV, but it's premature. I'm sure AMC will have its fair share of missteps in time.

Every channel makes some bad things. I think AMC are more than just Mad Men. Things like Breaking Bad, Rubicon and The Walking Dead have all been positively received in recent years as well. Although Rubicon was axed.

Which channel is the best is subjective, but AMC appear to be heading in the right direction.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AMC's hit/miss ratio is incredible, but they still have a short history of producing original content. I can't think of any channel that started off so strongly though, not even HBO. I doubt they'll be able to maintain a pristine reputation forever, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Showtime pisses on HBO and AMC
  • Options
    cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency - great pilot, horrendous series.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Showtime pisses on HBO and AMC

No, it doesn't. Showtime has actually underachieved over the years, failing to come up with "iconic" original series outside of Dexter (which is not the same thing as having some stuff worth watching). I am talking about the kind of series that send critics into frenzies of adulation.