Comet & Dixon's may close UK stores

Comments

• lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Dixon's closed almost all UK stores a few years ago, turning into smaller Currys stores. Dixon's also owns all the Currys and PC World stores, so I can't see them closing any of those stores, since they're still the UKs major electronic and computer retail stores.

Unfortunately for them, currys.digital and PC World are still losing money hand over fist. That's why Dixon's group are struggling to hold onto their credit lines.

DSG won't be around in 3 years time. Best Buy will have blown them out of the water.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    Actually, I think if you ask in the technical sub forum of any non-technical discussion baord thats esxactly what you'll get :D

True. There's always the PC and Entertainment forums of a well known site I suppose. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Title is misleading as it's not all stores only ten.

And what's it on this forum each shop that goes into administration or closes shops there's a bandwagon of people saying they deserve to close?

It's a poor attitude as the retail industry is vital to the economy and jobs. :mad::rolleyes:

No business can command public support just because it exists. A retailer has also to offer good value, knowledge and stock.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjm wrote: »
    or clever.

someone looking to buy it online, sees it at the same price as collect in store and they get a sale rather than that person going to amazon or dabs which they otherwise would of lost, a few £ profit is better than none.

The end of this will be smart phones and people buying online while in the store, just like how the mass public has ruined car insurance comparison sites by making them the norm.
    Except the collect-in-store customer will never want to pay the higher in-store prices ever again. The company may get a sale, but it's possibly at a loss because the savvy collect-in-store customer is getting the lower price and using the store's staff/facilities without paying for the overheads.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    What a loss to the High Street they'll be if they do close. Where will people go if they want incorrect advice from poorly trained sales and 'technical' staff, whose only real aim is to sell you an over-priced extended warranty? Call me old-fashioned, but you just don't get that sort of service on-line.
    The staff aren't claiming to know everything about technology. Most are students after a job to support them, or random people. Does a person who works in New Look, JJB, B&Q know much about the products they sell, other than where they're located?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The staff aren't claiming to know everything about technology. Most are students after a job to support them, or random people. Does a person who works in New Look, JJB, B&Q know much about the products they sell, other than where they're located?

I don't know about New Look or JJB - although if they're selling items that the consumer may reasonably want advice about, then yes, they should do - but in my experience of B&Q, yes. The stores I use have so-called subject matter experts hovering around the different areas - plumbing, electrics, flooring etc - to offer advice, and you may only want advice on a 50p bag of screws. If you're considering spending £600 on a TV, I think you're entitled to deal with someone who knows the difference between HD Ready and Full HD, for eg, as was my recent experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree. If I'm ever buying a piece of consumer electronics, I always do all my own research beforehand to make sure I get the exact functionality and connectivity I require. It would be ridiculous to expect a poorly paid sales assistant to spend hours meticulously researching the specification of every single product.

At the other end of the scale, you get the pompous Hi-fi 'expert' salesmen who try to pretend their recommendation (whatever product has a high profit margin and they have a big pile of in the stockroom) is impartial. I trust those guys far less than the Comet Saturday boy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Unfortunately for them, currys.digital and PC World are still losing money hand over fist. That's why Dixon's group are struggling to hold onto their credit lines.

DSG won't be around in 3 years time. Best Buy will have blown them out of the water.

For some reason I get the impression a lot of people WANT Best Buy to blow them out of the water. That's a shame. I am impressed with Best Buy but they only have a few stores so far.

I'd like DSG to succeed as they are a British based company. I've been in a brand new Currys PC World in Bromborough, Wirral and very good it was too. Nice store with friendly staff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree. If I'm ever buying a piece of consumer electronics, I always do all my own research beforehand to make sure I get the exact functionality and connectivity I require. It would be ridiculous to expect a poorly paid sales assistant to spend hours meticulously researching the specification of every single product.

At the other end of the scale, you get the pompous Hi-fi 'expert' salesmen who try to pretend their recommendation (whatever product has a high profit margin and they have a big pile of in the stockroom) is impartial. I trust those guys far less than the Comet Saturday boy.

I'm betting you'd never buy from Comet though, and if you did, you'd never need to ask for advice precisely because you know what you're looking for and you're just looking for the best deal, but not everyone knows what they want or has the means to research to it. These poor, misguided fools (;)) will wander aimlessly into Comet or PC World and may walk out with something totally un-suited because the person they asked for advice didn't have a clue either.
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dixon's closed almost all UK stores a few years ago, turning into smaller Currys stores. Dixon's also owns all the Currys and PC World stores, so I can't see them closing any of those stores, since they're still the UKs major electronic and computer retail stores.
    They didn't close shops, they were just re-branded, the are still the same as they were, just with a new sign over door.

And they have been closing larger stores as Currys and PC World are being merged into single stores under both brands.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Title is misleading as it's not all stores only ten.

And what's it on this forum each shop that goes into administration or closes shops there's a bandwagon of people saying they deserve to close?

It's a poor attitude as the retail industry is vital to the economy and jobs. :mad::rolleyes:

I don't see how :confused:

Last week they announcement of up to 10 store closures and 150 jobs will go.

This week its shares jump almost 8 per cent today, on rumours that it may close the UK chain Comet and return to its roots in France.

Hopefully this clarifies it for you?
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why doesn't one of these endangered high street chains
    team up with one (or all) of the delivery services
    and offer high street collection points for online shoppers
    ditch selling actual goods themselves except maybe common consumables
    like batteries, blank dvds etc

surely some sort of business model could be worked out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I don't see how :confused:

Last week they announcement of up to 10 store closures and 150 jobs will go.

This week its shares jump almost 8 per cent today, on rumours that it may close the UK chain Comet and return to its roots in France.

Hopefully this clarifies it for you?

Comet is owned by Kesa Electricals who are based in the UK, although they do own Darty of France and a couple of other companies as well as Comet. So if they were to concentrate on just their home market, wouldn't it be the non UK operations that would be closed?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comet is owned by Kesa Electricals who are based in the UK, although they do own Darty of France and a couple of other companies as well as Comet. So if they were to concentrate on just their home market, wouldn't it be the non UK operations that would be closed?.

No its the other way around. They are a French company who are may close their UK operations.

http://kesaelectricals.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    No its the other way around. They are a French company who are may close their UK operations.

http://kesaelectricals.com/

Are you sure?.

Their corporate address is London and they are registered with Companies House there, as well as being listed on the London Stock Exchange and are part of the FTSE250..
    http://kesaelectricals.com/contact
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kesa_Electricals
    "The Company was formed in 2003 by demerger from Kingfisher plc" according to Wikipedia too.
  • Wayne DibblyWayne Dibbly Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually feel sorry for the staff of Dixons.
    As this thread reveals, everyone who walks through their doors is an "expert".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure?.

Their corporate address is London and they are registered with Companies House there, as well as being listed on the London Stock Exchange and are part of the FTSE250..
    http://kesaelectricals.com/contact
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kesa_Electricals
    "The Company was formed in 2003 by demerger from Kingfisher plc" according to Wikipedia too.

The parent company does appear to be UK based but the majority of its stores are out with the UK.

Darty in France (214 stores) , Italy (23 stores) , Turkey (6 stores).

BCC in the Netherlands (50 stores) .

Vanden Borre in Denmark (57 stores) .

Datart in Czech Republic / Slovakia (32 stores).

Menaje Del Hogar in Spain (67 stores).

Comet in the UK (251 stores).

The practicalities of such a move are complicated, but in theory this is a laudable solution to Kesa's key problem and it is encouraging that management are responding to shareholder pressure, with the final results on 22 June the next key catalyst. Clearly Comet is going from bad to worse at present and it is dragging back the performance of the whole group, while Kesa is basically a French business (which is why it now reports in euros). There should be enough in this to create upside in the share price from around 140p, so we are moving to add on Kesa.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/marketforceslive/2011/may/16/kesa-climbs-on-comet-talk
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cool, maybe shops with decent range, sensible prices, and knowledgeable staff can open in their place. Because they are an epic fail at all three at the moment so no great loss.
  • lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    why doesn't one of these endangered high street chains
    team up with one (or all) of the delivery services
    and offer high street collection points for online shoppers
    ditch selling actual goods themselves except maybe common consumables
    like batteries, blank dvds etc

surely some sort of business model could be worked out

There was a suggestion at the height of the dotcom bubble, that bricks and mortar stores might become more of a 'showroom' for manufacturers, where you visited to make a selection and get some 'proper' advice, and then went online to purchase from whomever offered the best deal. You could combine it with your scenario and also have the showroom as the place you go back to collect the item if you wish.

Clearly there are some flaws in this too, but it might come to pass in some form. I fondly remember the Sony showroom in Regents street that sold nothing on site, but always had the lastest Sony equipment on demo and a far wider range than you would see in any store. I would love to see places like that again. (the ones in Tokyo are amazing, well were the last time I visited)
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it's a perception that stores like Woolies, Zavvi, HMV and Comet are/were conning people by charging significantly higher prices than online competitors. Just like the old perception that the small retailers must have been conning people by charging significantly higher prices than the big chains.

It's often the case that big stores like Woolies and Comet drove smaller retailers - who often did give better service - out of business. What goes around comes around.

Yes but too many of the same shops too.

And you can virtually buy anything online cheaper so why not shut all shops?

If HMV charged online prices how would they cover the high street rent? But rent is quite expensive so really it's tough times.

I'd be surprised if one of these shops doesn't cut back as Best Buy coming to the UK and expanding means there's three big retailers no room for them all.
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Well this is what you get if the customers want to get cheaper online deals. Something has to give! So what is expected?
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member

If HMV charged online prices how would they cover the high street rent? But rent is quite expensive so really it's tough times.

I'd be surprised if one of these shops doesn't cut back as Best Buy coming to the UK and expanding means there's three big retailers no room for them all.

Its the landlords that are mostly to blame. Charging extremely high rent in conditions that are unrealistic to justify such prices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If the smaller record stores had charged HMV prices during the 1990s recession, how would they have covered the high street rent? HMV are now falling victim to the same market forces that allowed them to wipe out the old competition.

Unfortunately, the Great British Public tends to ignore factors such as overheads when moaning about retailers who charge high prices in "Rip-off Britain". I think a lot of people believe that if a DVD is £8 at Amazon and £16 at the local HMV, then HMV must be pocketing an extra £8 pure profit.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its the landlords that are mostly to blame. Charging extremely high rent in conditions that are unrealistic to justify such prices.

How do they get away with that, what good is an empty building to them? I would of thought rents would fall in line with internet competition, instead high streets are wastelands.

Strange society we live in. :confused:
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not get rid of all high street shops and replace them with parks, cinemas and cafes instead?
    Yeah that's what I'm suggesting.