Options

Humax HDR - anyone else finding new software worse than old?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Ok thanks for the info i will try and stick with this version then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Flyer 10 wrote: »
    Can you reply asking why we could schedule recordings instantly previously and find out if it will get fixed.

Id love to find out an answer to the live pause sub bug too.

Don't know about the live pause bug but did ask about the Guide delay issue. Here's what they said
    This feature was introduced because the guide was only refreshed when the box was turned on, you have to wait this time now because the guide will refresh every time you access it. You can use the guide as you did before without refreshing by pressing Schedule then the red button.
    Reads as though it was deliberately done. On that basis I would assume it is unlikely it will change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevegoo wrote: »
    Reads as though it was deliberately done. On that basis I would assume it is unlikely it will change.

Thats not true, it refreshed every time you pressed guide before but it still allowed you record something.

More lies from Humax.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Hi, Guys

I too am suffering with several problems with my 2 Freesat + boxes since the latest update and I haven't moved either box.
    The problems are: delay with the EPG updating, and the Audio description, however I think my wife thought this was a bonus watching a recording of "The Shadow Line" LOL

However I have a third problem, when we start watching a recording, the screen blacks out for 20 secs or so before starting to play normally. Has anyone else got this problem, or does anyone know of a cure?

Regards Al
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All.

Personally I find the New software to be no better or worse than the previous version.

I do, however have a view on the Guide refreshing each time it is pressed. This makes sure that you have an up to date program listing to set a recording.

If however you want an instant usable guide press schedule then the RED button. Simple.

To me that is simple and usable. I really do not know what the fuss is all about with this. Just seems an excuse to bash Humax.:yawn::)
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    The only issue I have with that is that most of the time you do not need a complete refresh of the EPG so it would make more sense to put that function on the multi-button action and use the EPG button to show the cached info with trickle updates. Once a week when the new listings magazines come out is all you really need.
  • Options
    terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonesyboy wrote: »
    Hi All.

Personally I find the New software to be no better or worse than the previous version.

I do, however have a view on the Guide refreshing each time it is pressed. This makes sure that you have an up to date program listing to set a recording.

If however you want an instant usable guide press schedule then the RED button. Simple.

To me that is simple and usable. I really do not know what the fuss is all about with this. Just seems an excuse to bash Humax.:yawn::)

Yep,your post is bang on the money!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All.

Its already up to date as it updates in the background so refreshing has no effect except for making the user wait for 45 secs.
    It also let you record straight away before the update.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but this is the most clueless comment ever!

I don't really know what the Humax box is doing at any given moment with the new software, but it certainly USED to trickle update the EPG in the background at all times - there's a slow (30 minute) feed of the entire EPG on every transponder to allow even single tuner boxes to do this, and I'm fairly sure the Humax box used to take advantage of it.

AFAICT the fast feed of the EPG (over in its own transponder) isn't fast enough to be grabbed in the ?50 seconds? the box now sulks for when you press the EPG. It would have to wait for 2-3 minutes to fully update the information. The box doesn't wait that long. Therefore, it's not fully "up to date" information that it waits for.

But most importantly, you don't need fully "up to date" information to set a recording, because the box doesn't use the times in the EPG data to start the recording (unless you use manual recording timing, which I don't).
    Simple if you know and remember. Not really family/wife/Mum friendly.
    It's this comment that earned you the irritated response above. It's a £250 STB. This part of it has worked fine for two years. Now they've ****** it up in a forced software update. Excuse me for daring to mention it on an internet forum.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aritzn wrote: »
    However I have a third problem, when we start watching a recording, the screen blacks out for 20 secs or so before starting to play normally. Has anyone else got this problem
    Not consistently when starting to watch a recording.

I have rare and (as far as I can see) completely unpredictable loss of picture and sound affecting live and recorded content. I'm watching via SCART, and it's as if I've switched the STB off briefly because the TV returns to its (unused) internal tuner, before going back to the Humax SCART input and carrying on as if nothing had happened.

So far, it's rare enough to be amusing (only seen it four times so far - but then I've probably only watched six hours of TV!), but if it keeps happening it's going to get annoying. If I spot some kind of pattern to it, I'll post. I'll try to remember to select the SCART input manually, then I'll be able to see what (if anything) the Humax displays on screen while it sets SCART pin 8 to low.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    It's this comment that earned you the irritated response above. It's a £250 STB. This part of it has worked fine for two years. Now they've ****** it up in a forced software update. Excuse me for daring to mention it on an internet forum.

Cheers,
    David.
    Exactly, I cant see why anyone would defend it, its bad enough if this had been the case from the start but it worked 100% and they broke it yet people still defend it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyer 10 wrote: »
    Exactly, I cant see why anyone would defend it, its bad enough if this had been the case from the start but it worked 100% and they broke it yet people still defend it.
    Its hardly broke when you have a very simple workaround/alternative:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its hardly broke when you have a very simple workaround/alternative:rolleyes:

So if they broke the channel up/down buttons, youd be quite happy and would instead enter the digits instead of expecting them to fix it?
  • Options
    stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the work-around makes the GUIDE button.
    which is the largest button and/or best placed button on all TV Remotes..
    especially the favoured Melody ones.. meaningless/useless...does it not?
    BUT
    I'm easily converted hence..
    A simple question to the "Not spotted in Beta Crowd"..AND Humax!!
    When/Who/Why is anyone ever supposed to use the GUIDE Button in future?
    Particularly as after leaving the GUIDE for say only ONE minute..
    Eeeeeeevrything has to REUPDATE itself AGAIN..
    If it were any reputable firm claiming it was an ENHANCED NEW FEATURE they wouild be Laffed at..
    I guess they are quietly and politely at the BSI..
    Stan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    By jove - Aren't people getting a bit hot under the collar over this? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bat-man wrote: »
    By jove - Aren't people getting a bit hot under the collar over this? :)
    Abso flipping lutely.:yawn::) All I did was give my opinion and overview of attitudes to Humax. As A.N.Others did.:confused:

I have had my Humax HDR for over 2 years. No failed recordings and only 2 lock-ups. Hardly broken is it.:confused:

Compared to my 3 month old SKY HD box that locks up every week.

Nobody is being forced to use/buy Humax/Sky whatever.

Or am I too not allowed an internet opinion:confused:

I am bored with this so shall depart as its getting silly:p
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talk about throwing the toys out of the pram :eek:

In 2008 I bought a Harmony remote and put the schedule button next to the red. I never use anything else.

Frankly to suggest the box is broke is just plain stupid.

Why don't you moaners go out and buy Samsung's wonderfull brand new state of the art Freesat+ pvr.

You might then have something a little less trivial to complain about :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk about throwing the toys out of the pram :eek:

In 2008 I bought a Harmony remote and put the schedule button next to the red. I never use anything else.

Frankly to suggest the box is broke is just plain stupid.

Why don't you moaners go out and buy Samsung's wonderfull brand new state of the art Freesat+ pvr.

You might then have something a little less trivial to complain about

Just because it's a very good product doesn't give Humax a free card to do stupid things without anyone complaining.

There are some really brainless features to this box that could have been easily corrected if Humax had just put a bit of effort into it.

It's because the box is so good that these things are annoying. If you were perpetually wondering whether or not a programme would record you wouldn't have time to worry about the smaller niggles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jepson wrote: »
    Just because it's a very good product doesn't give Humax a free card to do stupid things without anyone complaining.

There are some really brainless features to this box that could have been easily corrected if Humax had just put a bit of effort into it.

It's because the box is so good that these things are annoying. If you were perpetually wondering whether or not a programme would record you wouldn't have time to worry about the smaller niggles.

I agree there are some UI niggles. It's the ridicolous claims that make the posters look very stupid.

THE BOX IS BROKE - what a laugh it works as a pvr so it ain't broke.

Suggesting that if the up/down channel buttons didn't work, what a laugh.

The guide button works, you now simply have to wait 40 sec or so to set recordings. A sense of proportion would help. :eek:

I acknowledge the problem (see my earlier post) and yes I hope that Humax come up with a fix. If they don't it simply won't make any difference to this user.
  • Options
    terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have used the schedule/red button work round for several months and it is now 2nd nature to me now,hence personally i don't see it as a major problem.
    However 2bedecided made an interesting and valid point that it wasn't user family friendly.I think we forget that the majority of owners don't visit the forums so are unaware of any workrounds so I can see the 45 sec. delay being very irritating to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree there are some UI niggles. It's the ridicolous claims that make the posters look very stupid.

The guide button works, you now simply have to wait 40 sec or so to set recordings. A sense of proportion would help. :eek:

I acknowledge the problem (see my earlier post) and yes I hope that Humax come up with a fix. If they don't it simply won't make any difference to this user.

The voice of reason. I concur:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats exactly the same scenario as the guide workaround but you cant admit it because it proves you wrong.

As for the box not being broke, if you owned a car which only ran in reverse, how would you feel if you were told it wasnt broke. After all, it moves so it cant be broke.

Ridiculous reasoning there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    terrykl wrote: »
    I have used the schedule/red button work round for several months and it is now 2nd nature to me now,hence personally i don't see it as a major problem.
    However 2bedecided made an interesting and valid point that it wasn't user family friendly.I think we forget that the majority of owners don't visit the forums so are unaware of any workrounds so I can see the 45 sec. delay being very irritating to them.

I have a system which is considerably more complex than most. My better half has not a clue but a Harmony remote sorted out the problem.

Among lots of others there's a button marked WATCH FOXSAT HDR.

Pushing this

Boots the Foxsat-HDR, turns on the TV and selects the appropriate hdmi input. Turns on my AV amp and selects Zone 1 output (the lounge) to the hdr audio input (the foxsat is connected directly to the TV by hdmi). The volume control is allocated to the AV amp.

On the main screen of my Harmony 1000 in pride of place are two buttons next to each other, Schedule and Red (Red is a very usefull button in lots of menus, for instance you use it to swap media sources while in media list).

It would only be a few minutes work to add a button, called say EPG and assign a macro Schedule/Red, I don't need to, even my tecnophobe better half can remember to push button 1 and then button 2 to see what's on :D

Similar buttons allow either the Fox-HD T2, the Foxsat-hdr, the DVD player or the Toppy 5800 to send their outputs to the kitchen TV. No technical knowledge required just select what you want to watch.

I 100% agree the buttons on the original remote don't exactly make this easy.
  • Options
    stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humax have been very lucky that the Work-around seems to work..
    It is certainly NOT the much vaunted preloaded ever available Guide that some imply it is..
    With very old arthritic fingers i used this Schedule/Red and then TRIED to program the first adjacent slot that came up.. I got the identical message that comes up when pressing GUIDE.." It's loading "
    After this i believe the next Box will float on water.
    The Basic Harmony was never designed to accomodate Humax's shortcomings..no help there for the poor and the GUIDE button is so BIG!!
    Stan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jepson wrote: »

Exactly, its so stupid that with a slight bit of effort, it could be amazing and whats annoying is everything (apart from the remote reception) can be fixed but they chose not to.

Instead they manage to make it worse but the fanbois just cant see that. They defend it like they made it themselves.