[Torchwood: Miracle Day] 'The Gathering' - BBC1 9PM (UK Pace)

1234568»

Comments

• nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »
    Last episode, they invented a new category - Category Zero, for healthy people who deserve death. When it was introduced, Ozzy was one of the first to be consigned to it.

Many thanks!
  • ApethaApetha Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    People over the last few pages just seem to want to attack Torchwood at every possible turn.... why can't people like that just leave those of us enjoying it alone? Every forum seems to have a small but very vocal minority who want to ruin Torchwood for everybody else... :(

Back on topic, I think the episodes are just getting better and better. There was a bit of deadwood in the first half of the series (but I also think that there was also quite a lot of good stuff) but since about episode six I've been hooked!

Looking forward to the conclusion this week, and really hope Torchwood is renewed for another series.
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally watched it and thought it was actually going somewhere at last.
    I appreciate that there was a lot of setting up and back story to do to reach this point, but still think it could be edited down somewhat without losing anything to make it punchier.
  • George7George7 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually thought that this episode was quite good and the series has gradually got better towards the end. That said, for me it could only get better and I nearly stopped watching a few episodes back as it was too drawn out and simply quite stupid in parts. I hope the final episode is worth watching and makes up for the time invested.

If Torchwood ever comes back with another series of similar epic proportions, then I won't bother to start watching it. A 4 or 5 episode story would be OK, but not for 10 episodes as the current standard of writing just isn't up to it.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I thought last night's episode was excellent, and I'm truly grateful for this series of torchwood, given I'm not enjoying the other show.

Everything is being wrapped up nicely, but I'm sure there's more twists to come in the last episode.
    Will I be tempted to watch the US episode tonight......

Same here. For the first time in years I can't be bothered with the "other show".
  • SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George7 wrote: »
    I actually thought that this episode was quite good and the series has gradually got better towards the end. That said, for me it could only get better and I nearly stopped watching a few episodes back as it was too drawn out and simply quite stupid in parts. I hope the final episode is worth watching and makes up for the time invested.

If Torchwood ever comes back with another series of similar epic proportions, then I won't bother to start watching it. A 4 or 5 episode story would be OK, but not for 10 episodes as the current standard of writing just isn't up to it.

Well I used to love Torchwood and really looked forward to the new series. I got as far as episode 3 and really couldnt take any more. Slow, Americanised, dull and badly written up to that point, just put me off. If I remember to, I might just watch the final episode, but if its as dull as the first three were, I just won't bother again. What a shame.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,219
    Forum Member
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Same here. For the first time in years I can't be bothered with the "other show".

Me too. RTD series do at least have some social comment in them whereas Moffat's seem to exist in a complete vacuum.
  • Lorelei LaFleurLorelei LaFleur Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geeny wrote: »
    Esther is becoming creepy, fawning over Jack trying to be like Gwen.

Esther and Jack were holed up in a cottage, St. Margaret's Halt, Scotland, she's tending to Jack's wound by candlelight and it all looks rather romantic and their environment resembles a lovenest.
    A couple of months together and they have obviously got to know each other and bonded, exchanging familiarities and knowing looks.
    There's more than a little bit of chemistry between them.
    I'm not saying she's got the hots for Jack, it's apparent she likes Rex, but it demonstrated how just being with someone can change how you feel about them.
    However, showing what a screwed up world they're living in, their cosy set-up and atmosphere is cut through when Jack refers to Esther as a vampire and we see she's stockpiling his blood as a potential weapon.
    Not exactly your normal scene of domesticity.
    This is echoed in the abnormal goings-on in Gwen's gaff.
    Here we have unremitting scenes of domestic subversion - Gwen's trying to get on with being a wife and mum and she's having to ram-raid pharmacies for drugs, hide her Category 1 dad in the basement, fend off the authorities and allow a murdering paedophile into her house and end up working alongside him. :eek:
    All this and she still manages to find time for her husband. ;) What a woman!

Back to the scenes between Jack and Esther, I really liked them.
    I wouldn't describe Esther as 'creepy' and 'fawning over Jack', Geeny.
    Jack was always the strong one but found himself having to be submissive to Esther and needing her help.
    Esther had been meek, unsure of herself, not knowing what to do or who to trust and by having to take charge of the situation with Jack, it gave her confidence, made her stronger and she has come into her own.
    I don't think she was 'trying to be like Gwen', I think that circumstances dictated that she toughen up and she became more like Gwen organically through necessity.
    However, she was helpless in being won over by Captain Jack's considerable charms.
    What woman wouldn't be? :D
    Forum Member
    Esther and Jack were holed up in a cottage, St. Margaret's Halt, Scotland, she's tending to Jack's wound by candlelight and it all looks rather romantic and their environment resembles a lovenest.
    A couple of months together and they have obviously got to know each other and bonded, exchanging familiarities and knowing looks.
    There's more than a little bit of chemistry between them.
    I'm not saying she's got the hots for Jack, it's apparent she likes Rex, but it demonstrated how just being with someone can change how you feel about them.
    However, showing what a screwed up world they're living in, their cosy set-up and atmosphere is cut through when Jack refers to Esther as a vampire and we see she's stockpiling his blood as a potential weapon.
    Not exactly your normal scene of domesticity.
    This is echoed in the abnormal goings-on in Gwen's gaff.
    Here we have unremitting scenes of domestic subversion - Gwen's trying to get on with being a wife and mum and she's having to ram-raid pharmacies for drugs, hide her Category 1 dad in the basement, fend off the authorities and allow a murdering paedophile into her house and end up working alongside him. :eek:
    All this and she still manages to find time for her husband. ;) What a woman!

That's great but how exactly did Jack survive and the pair of them get to Scotland as I missed Episode Eight and a Half: "The Escape"?

And what did Jack do with that metal thingybob he had in his pocket, the one from the "null field" what ever ya call it? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »
    That's great but how exactly did Jack survive and the pair of them get to Scotland as I missed Episode Eight and a Half: "The Escape"?

And what did Jack do with that metal thingybob he had in his pocket, the one from the "null field" what ever ya call it? :D

The episode referenced them being smuggled in as was Oswald Danes. I would imagine that Jack knew people. As for the plate well there's always series 5 and if there were originally 13 eps I suspect that went as well. Perhaps there was going to be more about how they got there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apparently, the viewers are expected to fill in the bits that the scriptwriters couldn't be bothered to write.

We are expected just to accept that "they got there", which rather puts Torchwood in the same dramatic league as a Roadrunner cartoon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey S wrote: »
    Apparently, the viewers are expected to fill in the bits that the scriptwriters couldn't be bothered to write.

We are expected just to accept that "they got there", which rather puts Torchwood in the same dramatic league as a Roadrunner cartoon.

Same dramatic league as The Bourne Identity, too. Not to mention most other films and TV programmes. Big league.

If you're pedantically laying out every single thing that happens in your characters' lives, you're an awful screenwriter. There's plenty for you to hate about Miracle Day (not that I hate it - quite the opposite), but this is a really stupid one to go on about. Like, positively inane. Every TV programme ever must be tortuous for you. Another example - A Good Man Goes to War. This is like being furious that the Doctor turns up underneath one of the cowls and yet we don't see how. I could think of an example in every programme ever of a journey that's not documented.

Welcome to television. Pay attention in future!
    Forum Member
    Tumpy wrote: »
    The episode referenced them being smuggled in as was Oswald Danes. I would imagine that Jack knew people. As for the plate well there's always series 5 and if there were originally 13 eps I suspect that went as well. Perhaps there was going to be more about how they got there.

But how did Jack survive in the first place since we last saw him dying and Esther apparently unable to do anythiing to save him?
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack was very badly injured, I didn't see anything to suggest he was actually dying. It's quite possible to survive a gunshot wound.

However, it did happen in minutes at the end of the episode, so can see why some thought that, if he was shown as being ok then we wouldn't want to tune in to see if he survived would we :rolleyes:

Esther's "what do I do?" was more a reaction to having an injured man on the back seat, being on the run (again), not knowing where to drive to, and not having any help.
    Forum Member
    Jack was very badly injured, I didn't see anything to suggest he was actually dying. It's quite possible to survive a gunshot wound.

However, it did happen in minutes at the end of the episode, so can see why some thought that, if he was shown as being ok then we wouldn't want to tune in to see if he survived would we :rolleyes:

Well for me (and I suspect many others) it wasn't enough just to find out he'd survived, I wanted to know exactly how he'd survived? For example, did it have something to do with the plate he was carrying in his pocket?

You can't write a cliffhanger ending and then just ignore it in the next episode.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Just got back from holiday so havn't posted for a while. Watched this in Spain, as usual I thought there were both good and bad parts to the episode. That creepy government man looking for Gwens dad was well played, but would they really expend so many resources to look for one "dead" person ? I don't think so. My other main criticism of this episode is, where was Jack ? He was hardly in it Hop that next weeks final episode will at last show Jack as the true hero and that whatever "the blessing" is is explained properly. Still think Jack will die and then be reserected as imortal again.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't write a cliffhanger ending and then just ignore it in the next episode.

*cough* Utopia *cough* anyone? Yet another RTD 'with one bound they were free' damp squib.
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well to me it was simple, he was shot, but he survived, after all bullet wounds don't kill everyone. Nothing more to it, just my view.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    *cough* Utopia *cough* anyone? Yet another RTD 'with one bound they were free' damp squib.

I thought that quite funny in a tribute to Dick Barton kind of way. But you can't do it more than once:sleep:
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    That was a good episode. Not nearly as slow as most, made some progress to finding out what's going on and a lot of people being competent for a change!

I can understand why the family don't want to consign the Grandfather to the ovens but, under the circumstances, the ovens seem like a kindness if you ask me. He's in constant pain, he has no quality of life, he barely has any awareness of life and he has no prospects whatsoever of recovery. Why wouldn't they just accept the inevitable?

Plus, if Torchwood get their way and stop the Miracle, he'll presumably just die anyway which kind of makes it odd that Gwen would not be conflicted about that goal.

The most silly thing this episode was the heat vision APP. I don't see how a phone could possible do that without having special hardware built in.

I wonder how long the Blessing has been there? You'd think the Racnoss spaceship (from The Runaway Bride) which formed the Core of the planet might have had a problem with a big worm thing growing through it :D

Regards

Julian
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I wonder how long the Blessing has been there? You'd think the Racnoss spaceship (from The Runaway Bride) which formed the Core of the planet might have had a problem with a big worm thing growing through it :D

Regards

Julian

I'm beginning to warm to the idea that the whole of TWMD is now set in an alternate universe from DW, an (unspecified) wibley wobley timey wimey side effect of 11th Doc's Big Bang :D:p